Garmin eTrex Use

sbposeidon

I recently got into geocaching and purchased a Garmin eTrex. I wanted to know if it was possible to insert the coordinates from a given cache into my eTrex as a waypoint so that the GPS unit can direct to me that location?

Thanks in advance for you help and for a speedy response.

Yup

Cycle through the screens to the main menu

Use the 'Mark' option to insert a waypoint using the coords from a cache page, and then use the 'Find' option to locate it

I recommend purchasing Mapsource to do this on a larger scale. You will soon get fed up puttnig them in using the GPS unit and its joystick!

Just to elaborate a bit, when you press 'Mark' on your unit, the eTrex will mark a waypoint of your current position. You need to cursor up and edit those coordinates to make them read those of the coordinates you are entereing. You can also edit the name of the waypoint (and the symbol I think) to make it more meaningful.

It isn't at all intuitive that to enter a new waypoint, you mark your current position, and then edit and save it, but that is how most GPS receivers work.

Just to elaborate a bit, when you press 'Mark' on your unit, the eTrex will mark a waypoint of your current position. You need to cursor up and edit those coordinates to make them read those of the coordinates you are entereing. You can also edit the name of the waypoint (and the symbol I think) to make it more meaningful.

It isn't at all intuitive that to enter a new waypoint, you mark your current position, and then edit and save it, but that is how most GPS receivers work.

I'll elaborate a bit on this elaboration. :santa:

To edit the symbol, cursor to the upper left corner of the screen and highlight the icon. Press Enter and select the closed golden treasure chest icon from the Outdoor section. (Use the rocker key to highlight it and then press enter.)

When you use this icon the waypoint will behave properly in geocaching mode. (unless you changed the default geocaching icon)

FYI--Its a lot easier to use an application like GSAK or Easy GPS and load up the geocaches via the computer.

Welcome to geocaching and have fun. :mad: