Memory allocation-etrex series

Dugal

I'm a newbie to GPSr use. I have an etrex vistacx but have yet to get any new detailed software to go with it. Besides not being sure which version of software to start with, I'm not sure how the various kinds of memory are allocated or selected on the GPS unit. I'm thinking of getting the City Navigator v8. How does one decide how much should be loaded to the permanent integral memory within the unit and how much goes on the micro SD card? Or does it all go on the card? The card is a 64mb but I've read elsewhere that the unit will accept cards much larger than that. I can't decide whether I'm asking for the correct software for Xmas or not. Any help would be appreciated. I'm planning a road trip to Florida right after Xmas and would like to use my unit for the trip. I would be traveling from northern NY state to the Daytona area. Thanks for any comments as I'm quite confused by the entire subject.

You're asking for the right software--City nav v8. It does auto routing, contains points of interest (POI), etc.

Map memory is all on the microSD card. The internal reserved memory is only for waypoints, tracks, and routes. You can also create custom POI and store them on the microSD card. Several people are doing this for geocaches to keep their maps free of geo-icon clutter.

I have the entire 1.6gb of City Nav on a 2gb microSD in a garmin 60csx. 1gb can hold enough maps for a road trip to Florida from just about anywhere in the U.S. If you are bringing a laptop on your trip you can transfer new mapsets as you travel, if necessary. I can put most of Minnesota and a chunk of western Wisconsin on a 64mb card.

Edited to note that a 2gb card should work with the VistaCX. My understanding from forum posts is that this capability for the etrex series was added in a recent firmware upgrade. I'm not 100% certain of that so check with Garmin or someone who knows more than me.

Edited by media601