Cache Titles

CM-14

Markwell, I hate to be a dolt, but your response confuzzled me. Was it, "Nope, the site won't accept foreign characters, but you can name the cache anything you want?" Or, y'know, the other way around?

Sorry, but when they were handing out brains, I thought they said trains, and asked for a slow one.

Edit: Never mind. Did a quick experiment, as I should have before posting, and answered my own question. Please ignore the man with the vacant expression.

Edited by stoneswivel
Did a quick experiment ... and answered my own question.

For future reference, what did you find out?

From talking to a cacher in Japan, and looking at one of the listings, the site will store HTML Unicode entities in the title, the same way it stores them in the cache descriptions and the logs.

Whether the title will be displayed correctly is another matter. When looking at the listing itself, HTML Unicode entity in its raw form (& #12345; without the space) shows up. When looking at it from a list of caches (for example, show nearest caches), same thing happens. I recall seeing the title displayed correctly before, but can't reproduce it now. Log and descriptions are displayed correctly, provided the browser has proper language and font support.

FYI: if I instead use 16 bit characters for the title, description, or log, they simply show up as ???...

Yes, pretty much what budd-rdc said. The page will store whatever you enter. Rendering it on the page is another matter. I added random Unicode chars up the scale, and it took everything. The stuff up to 00FF seemed to render fine, but after that, not so good. I was using ISO 8859-1 (Western) encoding, so that was probably the limitation. Someone intending to display, say, Cyrillic, would likely already have their browser configured accordingly. Didn't jik with it that far.

Then again, refer to my earlier post before listening to a word I say!

In case I wasn't clear, the title will not display correctly, even with the correct language and font support. Something somewhere is preventing the browser from rendering HTML Unicode entities (& #xxxxx;) correctly.

In contrast, the same technique works just fine with cache descriptions and logs. My follow up question to the OP is what is GC.com doing differently in the title field?