Is it OK to replace or repair a cache

Matrix

For what it's worth (and I assume it is someone else's cache) then it depends on what the problem is.

Some cachers carry spare log books so that they can replace full ones in caches they find, but even that should be logged.

I think that etiquette demands that you at least contact the owner before doing anything, and get their permission, or let them decide the way ahead.

Edited by walkergeoff

Perhaps I should explain a bit more I have marked them as needing maintenance and emailed the owners via their profiles. I had a response from one who said they would repair/replace within a couple of days but appear not to have done so yet, the other has not logged in since August this year and I have not even logged that as a find as I couldn't sign the logbook. Both caches were done duting worktime and before I started carrying replacement items.

I don't want to step on the owners toes or nag them into doing something but I don't want to see them end up as geolitter.

:rolleyes:

I went to New York recently and had spotted a cache in Central Park before I went which had disappeared, and been diabled by the cache owner. I emailed him and asked whether he wanted me to replace it, as I was going the be there a couple of days later. I had no reply, so replaced it anyway. I emailed him again when I returned home to say that I had done it and that he could reenable the cache, but still no reply.

Since then it has been found three or four times in quick succession by grateful cachers.

I think it's fine to replace caches, as long as you have tried to contact the owner. If they don't reply, it should be assumed that they are no longer that interested, so they won't be upset with you!!

ZoomLens

I found a cache near where i live which had been completely vandalised. The container had gone and the contents spread throughout the woods. i e-mailed the owner twice but had no reply. He has not logged anything for a long time.

What should we do?

Either replace it, or get it archived and then set up your own in the same place!!! The cache owner clearly has lost interest, so you won't be stepping on anyones toes, but you will be doing other cachers a favour.

I've had a similar issue with a cache (well two actually!) in my locality. I contacted Decangi, one of the moderators and here is what he advised.

8< ------- 8< -------- 8< ---------- 8< ------------ 8< ------------- 8< -------------- 8< --------- 8<

Hi Scott now the fun begins. As the adoption will be non consensual, there is a convoluted process's to follow. The basis of which is explained at http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=2099537.

First off will you please send the cache owner through the GC contact facility on his profile, a formal request to adopt the cache. Posting a note to the cache page that you have done so.

If after 7 days he has not replied, I will post a reviewer note to the cache, stating that as the cache has had to be maintained by someone other than the owner, and as the owner has not logged into the site since February. If he has not logged in or replied within 4 weeks, I will have no option but to Archive or Adopt the cache over to a new owner [GC insist on the 2 options being made].

At the end of the 4 week period I will be able to pass it upstairs, for them to check on the process, and do the Adoption over to you [Only Groundspeak can do a forced Adoption]

8< ------- 8< -------- 8< ---------- 8< ------------ 8< ------------- 8< -------------- 8< --------- 8<

So that's what I've started doing. The cache owner for the caches I'm aware of has not logged in since February last year.

Edited by scottpa100

Perhaps I should explain a bit more I have marked them as needing maintenance and emailed the owners via their profiles. I had a response from one who said they would repair/replace within a couple of days but appear not to have done so yet, the other has not logged in since August this year and I have not even logged that as a find as I couldn't sign the logbook. Both caches were done duting worktime and before I started carrying replacement items.

I don't want to step on the owners toes or nag them into doing something but I don't want to see them end up as geolitter.

:rolleyes:

Log that cache as found, despite not being able to sign the logbook you have found the cache. It's not your fault it's all soggy and unusable. I think your situation there is nothing wrong with servicing the cache of the person that hasn't been on the site for a while. For the cacher that has done nothing, you have posted a needs maintenance log on his cache, that way others won't be disappointed when they find it in a bad state, you have probably done all that you can for that one?

I found a cache near where i live which had been completely vandalised. The container had gone and the contents spread throughout the woods. i e-mailed the owner twice but had no reply. He has not logged anything for a long time.

What should we do?

Put a needs archived note against it, then let the reviewers worry about the cache.

This actually happened to us yesterday! One of our caches was visited several times yesterday by people on their way to and from our cache event. The cache container was split and covered in mud. Not only did Pengy and Tigger replace the cache container for us, but they even put it in a less muddy location. Hats off to them ... they saved us a trip. <_<

If we came across a damaged cache and had the means upon us to repair or replace it, we would hope that the cache owners would be happy for us to do that. We figure we would be doing them a favour. Although I do know of someone else who replaced a cache for someone recently and got a ticking off for it, which personally I thought was extremely ungrateful of them. Each to their own I suppose. :rolleyes:

I've had a similar issue with a cache (well two actually!) in my locality. I contacted Decangi, one of the moderators and here is what he advised.

Hi Scott now the fun begins. As the adoption will be non consensual, there is a convoluted process's to follow. The basis of which is explained at http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=2099537.

First off will you please send the cache owner through the GC contact facility on his profile, a formal request to adopt the cache. Posting a note to the cache page that you have done so.

If after 7 days he has not replied, I will post a reviewer note to the cache, stating that as the cache has had to be maintained by someone other than the owner, and as the owner has not logged into the site since February. If he has not logged in or replied within 4 weeks, I will have no option but to Archive or Adopt the cache over to a new owner [GC insist on the 2 options being made].

At the end of the 4 week period I will be able to pass it upstairs, for them to check on the process, and do the Adoption over to you [Only Groundspeak can do a forced Adoption]

So that's what I've started doing. The cache owner for the caches I'm aware of has not logged in since February last year.

This is interesting, as I was under the impression that caches could ONLY be adopted with permission from the owner, and that if the owner has given up and doesn't respond, the ONLY option is to archive. We then rely on a good samaritan to clear up the geolitter.

Any reviewer care to confirm?! cheers! :rolleyes:

I've deliberately replaced cache boxes twice in the past. Both time they were way off my own manor, one being in South Wales, the other in Herefordshire. In both instances they were caches that I'd 'earmarked' to do on an away-trip. Also in both cases, there had been numerous logs in the previous months to the effect that the cache box was broken, leaking and in need of some TLC. The cache owners had neither responded nor corrected the situation so I took new labelled boxes, logbooks & trade stuff with me and replaced them once I'd found them. I neither contacted the owner or anybody else. I should add, I suppose, that these particular caches had a lot going for them in the way of location etc. and to my mind, were worth the effort. I wouldn't do same for just 'any old cache' that was dumped in a hedge somewhere.

I recently went out to a cache which i had been meaning to do for a while. i noticed from previous logs that the cache was in a bad way and needed replacing. it was also disabled and the owner said they wouldn't be able to get to it for a while. i decided to go out and give it some tlc. i taped up the lid as best i could and dried everything out before replacing the soggy mess which was the log book with some sheets of paper as a temporary measure before the owner could get to it. i mentioned what i had done in my log and sent the owner an email as well. I got a positive response and the cache has now been enabled again.

I think it is a shame for a cache to be left getting worse if it is damaged and i would much rather see enabled caches then disabled/archived ones so I will happily repair others so that they are at least in a stable state if it seems that the owner won't get to them for a while. the way i see it is that we are all busy people and if a cache is in an out of the way spot and i happen to be going there before the owner why shouldn't i do a good deed and repair it for them. of course I think it is right to contact the owner to tell them what you have done!!

I will replace a full logbook if I happen to have a spare and find one in a cache that's full, either leaving the original in place, or if there is not enough room taking it home and emailing the owner that if they would like it, I will post it to them.

If I find a cache that's soggy and damp, I will try my best to dry it out and remove any items that are water damaged.

If I find a cache which is compromised by being completely exposed, for example, or in one case I found one floating in a puddle, then I would move it to the nearest suitable spot.

In all the above cases I would email the owner.

What I dont think is acceptable is cachers who decide to take it upon themselves to 'improve' a cache. One cache I did which was a b****r to find, we re-hid as we found it. The next finder rehid it in a different spot and wrote "thought this was a bit too hard to find, so it should be easier now". If I thought I could improve upon a cache, I would email a suggestion privately to the cache owners, it's entirely up to them, of course, if they wanted to do anything about it.

............................. and that if the owner has given up and doesn't respond, the ONLY option is to archive. We then rely on a good samaritan to clear up the geolitter.

This is what happened with a cache with me, I was involved with the archiving of a cache, the owner hadn't been on the site for several months. So the reviewers archived it at the landowners request. I hadn't actually visited the cache, but passed on the landowners concerns. I went to the location and removed the cache from the dry stane wall, put it in the bin as it was completely soaked inside and wasn't any use to man nor beast.

The owner is back caching, but has never said anything to me about it, despite myself letting him know what my involvement was. Which is fine in my opinion.

What did I actually get for my good willed efforts?? I was called some rotten things, mainly by a rotten individual, all of the things which can't be repeated where on a not so nice Scottish Geocaching Forum. Why do I say it was not so nice as the person was a moderator and the forum admin let the truly offensive logs with swearing to stay untouched!!

So to sum up, be wary before doing what you believe to be correct.

<_<:huh::unsure::blink::blink:

What I dont think is acceptable is cachers who decide to take it upon themselves to 'improve' a cache. One cache I did which was a b****r to find, we re-hid as we found it. The next finder rehid it in a different spot and wrote "thought this was a bit too hard to find, so it should be easier now". If I thought I could improve upon a cache, I would email a suggestion privately to the cache owners, it's entirely up to them, of course, if they wanted to do anything about it.

This happened at one of my caches. I was out with a cacher who had not done the cache so I thought it a good idea to tag along and perform any mainenance that might be required.

Unfortunately, the micro had not been replaced where it should have been, so how the hell am I supposed to maintain a cache if I, as the cache owner, haven't got a clue where to go in the first place.

After much searching, I found it. It is obvious from the micro that it should be in a certain place but it wasn't! Please, please, please replace where found and if there's a problem with that - tell the cache owner - FIRST!

Oss!

............................. and that if the owner has given up and doesn't respond, the ONLY option is to archive. We then rely on a good samaritan to clear up the geolitter.

This is what happened with a cache with me, I was involved with the archiving of a cache, the owner hadn't been on the site for several months. So the reviewers archived it at the landowners request. I hadn't actually visited the cache, but passed on the landowners concerns. I went to the location and removed the cache from the dry stane wall, put it in the bin as it was completely soaked inside and wasn't any use to man nor beast.

The owner is back caching, but has never said anything to me about it, despite myself letting him know what my involvement was. Which is fine in my opinion.

What did I actually get for my good willed efforts?? I was called some rotten things, mainly by a rotten individual, all of the things which can't be repeated where on a not so nice Scottish Geocaching Forum. Why do I say it was not so nice as the person was a moderator and the forum admin let the truly offensive logs with swearing to stay untouched!!

So to sum up, be wary before doing what you believe to be correct.

<_<:huh::unsure::blink::blink:

I think you should be proud of what you did - the landowner asked for the cache to be removed, and you did so, being open and clear about it along the way... there's absolutely nothing wrong with that AT ALL, and you have helped maintain the reputation of geocaching in a situation where the landowner was probably a little miffed.

I wouldn't hesitate to do the same.

ZL

Having read all the replies I am happy that my original thought that I should do something is correct the one cache that concerns me most is also a TB hotel but it ls also quite far from home although my job does take me that way frequently and as I now carry various items to repair/replace I think I will take the chance .

thanks all for the comments

This is interesting, as I was under the impression that caches could ONLY be adopted with permission from the owner, and that if the owner has given up and doesn't respond, the ONLY option is to archive. We then rely on a good samaritan to clear up the geolitter.

It CAN be done under exceptional circumstances but the normal route is to archive and allow a new cache to be set up, possibly at the same location.

It CAN be done under exceptional circumstances but the normal route is to archive and allow a new cache to be set up, possibly at the same location.

Fair enough - to be honest (and I feel a bit bad about this) but the two caches I was thinking of adopting was just so that could at least be maintained. They are not in particularly interesting locations, don't take you anywhere specific or show you anything new.

It is possible that they should be archived so that someone / anyone can place new more interesting caches in the area.

Any reviewer care to confirm?! cheers! :santa:

Cheers Mr L for clearing that up! :mad:

I've been very glad of the help my caches have had in the past - either getting a fresh log book or a new box on several occasions. My rule of thumb is if a box is damaged and letting in water, swapping it for a dry one that'll fit in the same hiding place is a very good idea as it'll protect the contents from damage. Replacing a logbook is good too, but it's best to either leave the old one to be collected (or if that's not practical because it's a small cache or the old log is damp, perhaps moved to another local cache) or pass it back to the owner - or at least offer to return it. It's best if you can do some work on a cache (empty water out, bag up contents, rehide it in such a way as it's more weatherproof) and then let the owner know rather than logging that there's a problem, but not trying to do anything about it. That said, I know not everyone keeps tissues, spare logs or bags on them when caching.

Gosh Birdman, you sound like the 'Fifth Emergency Service' or a Dell Comic Hero at least! Seriously though well done, nice touch and feel sure that people are most grateful to you. We've added a log book or the occasional pencil and sharpener now and then, also put a few trinkets in the sad almost empty cache boxes that we also come across. Q William Tell Overture, 'Who was that masked man?'................... :santa: