Treasuremapbrokers.com

Sissy-n-CR

No, I haven't seen the ad, and try as I might I couldn't get it to show no matter how many times I refreshed. It doesn't really look like something I would normally expect GC.com to promote either.

Paying a 3rd party money to be able to find a cache (you get paid $7 every time someone finds your cache?!?) pretty much goes against the grain of everything I've seen here.

If you have to pay there better not be any "lame" caches :rolleyes:

From the FAQ page

WHAT IS IN THE TREASURE? The treasures are often old ammo boxes or tubberwear containers. Generally, unless otherwise notified by the map you buy, you are to take something and leaving something of equal vaule in the treasure. The map you buy will suggest an item to take with you. The hidden treaure could contain anything from a mock doubloon to a marble or a McDonald toy or garage sale jewelery. It should be something small by which you can remember your adventure. The real treasure is the fact that you made it to your destination and figurecracked someone else's map!

Gotta love the banner on top with the ever so professional Word font <_<

Does anyone else foresee 'treasure' maps being sold that lead to existing geocaches?

This has got to be either a spoof or a joke or...

What was that guy's name who promised to bring down Groundspeak?

Perhaps this is Step 1 in his three part plan to rule the world.

Look at this silly page...

http://www.treasuremapbroker.com/files/samplemap.html

Edited by Team Teuton

As far as I can tell, there are three maps available to buy right now. Thus, there are many more spelling and grammatical horrors on the site than there is available product.

Thanks, but no-thanks.

Yep...3 maps (All in Ohio). One is $9.95 and the other two are $5. Wow, I can only imagine the money those people must be rolling in :rolleyes:

I think I'll pass.

Does anyone else foresee 'treasure' maps being sold that lead to existing geocaches?

This has got to be either a spoof or a joke or...

What was that guy's name who promised to bring down Groundspeak?

Perhaps this is Step 1 in his three part plan to rule the world.

Look at this silly page...

http://www.treasuremapbroker.com/files/samplemap.html

AHHH!!! TrackInTheBox strikes again!!!!

If this did turn out to be a real game, it might be fun. However, it would be as much fun to find, as make the maps. I don't know about the rest of the world, but if I made a map, I would be glad to put it on a free web site so others could go look for it. That way I could look for their maps also.

Oh, wait a minute, we already have that. Geocaching.com! :santa:

The maps as described, do sound like a different game then geocaching, but the principle is the same. I doubt many players would buy and sell the maps (cache locations). It would become a free exchange, like geocaching.

If this did turn out to be a real game, it might be fun. However, it would be as much fun to find, as make the maps. I don't know about the rest of the world, but if I made a map, I would be glad to put it on a free web site so others could go look for it. That way I could look for their maps also.

Oh, wait a minute, we already have that. Geocaching.com! :santa:

The maps as described, do sound like a different game then geocaching, but the principle is the same. I doubt many players would buy and sell the maps (cache locations). It would become a free exchange, like geocaching.

I had two caches that involved maps, but one has since been archived. The other is a virt that gives the option of using a map instead of the coordinates:

67374_300.jpg

If I remember correctly, a few years back there was a site that tried something similar - a pay to play scheme. The last time I checked the the site was completely gone, but I don't recal lthe name of the site now, maybe someone can Markwell.

Good memory, good analogy. Markwelling to the Geogamer thread from June 2002, as requested.

Thanks Lep! :santa:

What is a "tinky links"???? Looks like they have changed the wording a bit. I wonder if that is in response to this thread, yet there is still a lot of poor grammar and typos.

(the 'bold' is mine)

Yeah, good point. Come on, 'fes up, who are ya? (yeah, like that will work!)

Well, if I owned the "treasure map brokers" site, I'd come to the GC.com forums and start a thread that read something like ...oh, I don't know... maybe "The ad on my Groundspeak homepage caught my eye... etc., etc." :surprise:

What is a "tinky links"???? Looks like they have changed the wording a bit. I wonder if that is in response to this thread, yet there is still a lot of poor grammar and typos.

(the 'bold' is mine)

Yeah, good point. Come on, 'fes up, who are ya? (yeah, like that will work!)

Well, if I owned the "treasure map brokers" site, I'd come to the GC.com forums and start a thread that read something like ...oh, I don't know... maybe "The ad on my Groundspeak homepage caught my eye... etc., etc." :surprise:

Mebbe so, but would you put it down in the same thread? :huh:

Edited by New England n00b

...and register the site under a different name out of a different region of the nation. Yep. That's what I'd do.