Calling all Jeeps!

Jeepstr

Here is our Jeep (the day we brought it home) .. we have a liberty limited.. although it doesnt see quite as much offroad action as we would like but it is our caching vehicle. we just acquired (for free:) ) a 72 toyota landcruiser (i know not a jeep, but still a good offroad vehicle) from my uncle that we need to fix up. It is currently housed in his garage in oklahoma and once we make our move from california to Illinois in a few months we will stop and pick it up :mad:.

100_0409.jpg

Sweet Jeep JNLJeep!! Glad to see many fellow Jeepers here! :blink:

04 TJ with 1.75" puck runiing 32.11.50 Sport Kings

5 KC daylighters

and a bag full of straps in case I need some help being extracted :D

Family of Jeep owners.....

Momma drives a 05 Grand Cherokee...she won't let me off-road it.

And a 95 XJ used for work.

As they say 5 star terrain...4x4 IT!!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHA...Jeep entuasists always have the last laugh.

5 KC daylighters

and a bag full of straps in case I need some help being extracted :blink:

Got any pics? I've got a '00 up on 33" BFG's. Straps definitely come in handy! :mad:

You got that right! :D

5 KC daylighters

and a bag full of straps in case I need some help being extracted :)

Got any pics? I've got a '00 up on 33" BFG's. Straps definitely come in handy! :o

You got that right! :)

I have kinda of figured out the tool bar....

4x45.jpg

4x44.jpg

4x43.jpg

HPIM5865.jpg

HPIM6124.jpg

This was on a caching run yesterday :o

Whoo Hoo, more jeep folk. I bought my GPS for trail rides, and now I found Geocaching...man are my weekends busy. Hard to balance the two hobbies.

Here are a few pictures of my junk. Buy the way...way too many clean jeeps...go get them dirty, they like it when they are dirty. :blink:

3" Full Traction suspension lift

1" Body Lift

33X12.50X15 Goodyear MTR's

and some other stuff.

2899156460100598571S500x500Q85.jpg

2384600110100598571S500x500Q85.jpg

2991324320100598571S500x500Q85.jpg

2656063750100598571S500x500Q85.jpg

You can also find me on www.wranglerfourm.com under the same name.

well I am new here, thought I would post here first. jeeping is my main hobby, that is why I got a GPS. any way here is my ride.

Roger%20Miller.jpg

100_0696.JPG

Read 'em and weep!

b92d67c9-bc33-463a-b9bb-7ec7a24def26.jpg

IMG_0425.jpg

RocketMans Event!

Granted, this is a post from July 2007, but...chains as a recovery 'strap' = incredibly bad juju. I know of a guy in 2004 who was doing a recovery in AZ with a hook instead of a loop at the end of a strap. It slipped just as he turned around in the driver seat and the strap was at full extension. He was killed instantly when the hook buried itself in his forehead. Besides vehicle body damage, a chain that slips/breaks could cut a body in half. I wouldn't rely on weights to hold it down either in that instance.

I need to track down my pics and I'll post as well. Non-stock Green '94 YJ and non-stock Maroon '98 XJ sitting in our garage. :o

Read 'em and weep!

b92d67c9-bc33-463a-b9bb-7ec7a24def26.jpg

IMG_0425.jpg

RocketMans Event!

Granted, this is a post from July 2007, but...chains as a recovery 'strap' = incredibly bad juju. I know of a guy in 2004 who was doing a recovery in AZ with a hook instead of a loop at the end of a strap. It slipped just as he turned around in the driver seat and the strap was at full extension. He was killed instantly when the hook buried itself in his forehead. Besides vehicle body damage, a chain that slips/breaks could cut a body in half. I wouldn't rely on weights to hold it down either in that instance.

I need to track down my pics and I'll post as well. Non-stock Green '94 YJ and non-stock Maroon '98 XJ sitting in our garage. :o

I have loads of straps as well. Which is the first things that come out for recovery.

Any type of tension recovery is very dangerous and risky.

1994 YJ Built it all myself, not bought.

Had a smashed shackle mount so I bought a bent TJ frame and used its shackle mount to replace mine. Then I cut it up and used the pieces of frame to make matching front and rear bumpers. I also made the swing out tire carrier. Rust repair, cut out and welded in new panels, mostly from steelcase cabinets they were tossing at work.

8K winch with pieced together winch kit.

On Board Air

2.5" RE lift kit

32x10.5R-15 BFG MTs

Aussie locker in my D-30

Rebuilt D-30 and D-35

New brake and e-brake lines

I've got a Dana 300 and rebuild kit but need to get some other items to flip and install it.

Also have almost everything needed to install my onboard weldernator.

d8e0fb05-e11a-41a1-962e-789d0258c584.jpg

b259a4f2-4140-4cb6-911d-8e7d1a2119c0.jpg

4e468f8c-93d4-4000-9240-cead3fc36f2c.jpg

7b285bfc-8a92-42bc-b0a5-b7ece1a4e1f3.jpg

97552644-a085-459e-b923-1f6d51f58296.jpg

04fe6430-a752-4ec2-93ba-5a38a4d92eef.jpg

fa25c164-5e27-4820-b446-882ae9f87474.jpg

af478121-c4b5-4b64-b107-a83a544a8329.jpg

880e2a84-1c33-4807-b612-0d0c9d23f209.jpg

At first this looks like a standard Jeep Liberty, but in reality it is diesel powered! I can't tell you how many "Hey, buddy!!" comments we get at the filling station. Everyone tries to stop us from putting diesel fuel in our Jeep. The great mileage is a blessing. We can drive to Detroit, MI and and return home to Ishpeming, MI on less than two tanks of gas. That includes driving to malls and doing some caching over a long weekend (just over a thousand miles/30 MPG). We are thinking of doing a vegetable oil conversion in a few years depending on how much long-term damage is done on other vehicles.

4b7fb2c2-ff85-4da5-ae81-02924cba95fc.jpg

859cc4fb-619d-461f-841f-8c34b7e8f3d7.jpg

At first this looks like a standard Jeep Liberty, but in reality it is diesel powered! I can't tell you how many "Hey, buddy!!" comments we get at the filling station. Everyone tries to stop us from putting diesel fuel in our Jeep. The great mileage is a blessing. We can drive to Detroit, MI and and return home to Ishpeming, MI on less than two tanks of gas. That includes driving to malls and doing some caching over a long weekend (just over a thousand miles/30 MPG). We are thinking of doing a vegetable oil conversion in a few years depending on how much long-term damage is done on other vehicles.

I thought Jeep had come out with a diesel powered vehicle. What company makes the engine?

Biodiesel

- BioWillie

Edited by zoltig

4b7fb2c2-ff85-4da5-ae81-02924cba95fc.jpg

859cc4fb-619d-461f-841f-8c34b7e8f3d7.jpg

Nice red jeep travel bug......

I have to get back out to that cache where Team LaLonde is parked in front of the billboard. Maybe next year. Now take that diesel Libby down XXX Road, lol.

Yeah...I love my train style air horns. I custom fit them under the hood. I use them more than any other addition I have made to my Jeep...and they are LOUD as H E double hockey sticks. Last week a gal stopped at a light and pulled out a newspaper. Light turned green. I gave her 3 Mississippi before lighting her up...and, lol...she tore that newspaper right in half before moving.

I have to get back out to that cache where Team LaLonde is parked in front of the billboard. Maybe next year. Now take that diesel Libby down XXX Road, lol.

Yeah...I love my train style air horns. I custom fit them under the hood. I use them more than any other addition I have made to my Jeep...and they are LOUD as H E double hockey sticks. Last week a gal stopped at a light and pulled out a newspaper. Light turned green. I gave her 3 Mississippi before lighting her up...and, lol...she tore that newspaper right in half before moving.

We only take the '93 Cherokee down that 'road'! :rolleyes: Let me know when you're coming back up here and we'll be your 'guides' for that cache. I'll set up camp while you search for several hours. Then, just about dark, I'll point at it and we can all have a good laugh. :)

If they dont yet, they will. I havent found a need for a snorkel kit as of yet. Although, it does enhance the look of the jeep.

I LOVE the airhorn there too! Alas, I commute 40 miles a day in my jeep, so, money is tight....my next upgrade may be simply yet another set of tires. Although, I wanna get a swingout spare tire carrier, so I can mount my hilift.

Hello, new here. Just started geocaching. I've been wondering if others used thier OHV's for caching. Are there caches set specifically for off-roading? i.e. the only feasable way to get to the cache is with a high clearance vehicle?

Not a jeep - but here's mine. :laughing: and yes I offroad it!

CowMountain015.jpg

Edited by H1Rich
And if you happen to get it stuck or hung up just look around for a Jeep to help you out.

Ha, 17" inches of ground clearance - I don't get hung up much. :unsure: and if I did, do you you think a Jeep could pull my 9,000 butt out? :anibad:

Aside from friendly kidding around (as above), I don't get into the whole Jeep vs. Hummer vs. Toyota vs. etc. thing. It's always baffled me why people care what someone else choses to drive off-road. Let's just go wheelin! I'm in a hummer club here in norcal and we welcome all brands and regularly run with Jeeps and Toy's. :blink: infact I can't even remember the last time a run of ours was exclusively Hummer.

Libertys look good with a lift. Do you plan on getting some bigger tires?

Thanks, I'm looking into getting some 31's. My wife needs tires for her Escape, but I have to get her some 16" rims and then I'll put these on her's and get me some different ones. The ones I have are only like 5 months old, so they are still in reall great shape.

2004 Liberty... Still haven't been able to talk the wife into letting me lift it. :anibad:

Since I don't wheel alot, I picked up a Daystar 2.5 and some Skyjacker shocks for the rear for around $250 then installed it myself. It wasn't to bad to do. Just becareful when compressing the front struts.

Snorkel: Besides the obvious reason of preventing water from choking the air going into the airbox and stalling the engine, thus affording a greater water fording depth (if you waterproof your other electronics, like I also have), many people don't realize that the ARB Snorkels were designed in Australia for the outback. The reason they are so high is because of the hundreds of thousands of miles of dirt roads there. The snorkel is just high enough to get above the dust and dirt of the roads. It keeps the air filters from clogging up after a single day of driving. While I have to admit that it just looks cool, it does help on my annual dirt road cache-a-thon to Michigan's Upper Peninnsula.

Most snorkels aren't really water proof and as the post above suggests are better used for keeping dust out of your intake. It's very difficult to seal the electrical system enough to allow deep water fording anyway. Not saying it can't be done - It's just very difficult.

You can see a short snorkel on my H1 (which is one of the few real sealed systems). I've taken it deep enough to get water over the hood a few times. My snorkel is just long enough to prevent water intrusion from a bow wave. At that deep water starts to seep in the doors. :D

But even the H1 needs to be outfitted from AMG (factory) to truly be a deep water forder (water into the cab or a prolonged period). Only military versions are equipped with this kit and very few of those.

Heres a fun video - http://www.leechvideo.com/video/view466549.html

My snorkel and airbox are waterproof. And I sealed my distributor and fuse box too. You also have to have really good grounds. The battery will do fine underwater. If bought, the snorkels come as a one piece plastic kit and are waterproof. You have a flex tube from the snorkel to the airbox, which you have to modify. If modified correctly it is watertight. If duct taped in place...well...hahaha. So the comment about "most snorkels not being waterproof" is incorrect...if they are installed right.

Another note: It really helps to get rid of the mechanical fan and install electrical ones for deep water. That way you can disable the fan when it gets deep. I still have my mechanical fan tho.

Edited by victorymike

This is picture of my Jeep Cherokee at a cache on Lake Lanier, Georgia.

The lake is about twenty feet low in this picture. My Jeep and the tree in the background should be under water.

I just purchased a used Jeep Wrangler JK. I am looking forward to doing some caches with the top down. When I get some caching pictures of the JK I will post them also.

IMG_1292.jpg

We bought a 2005 Rubicon Unlimited last week. Had a chance to go after some 4x4 caches over the weekend. It was our 1st ever off road trip, so we took it easy. It was sooo much fun! Still taking it easy since it's new to us, but here are a few pics.

4x4_0013.jpg

Here we are near the cache, with our buddy, who led the way.

whiteoak.jpg

4x4_0012.jpg

4x4_0005.jpg

Stupid question, but where, exactly, do you have to cut into the body to install the snorkel kit? On the panel, or through the hood? It looks on those pics that it comes through the QP, near where the badging is.

Yep you have to cut a large hole thru the quarter panel (and interior support panel). Depending on what model jeep you have will determine if it is on the driver or passenger side, as the air box comes on different sides. The kits come with a template so that you can measure twice and cut once, as it is a BIG hole from which there is no going back. I bought my kit used...no template. I measured several times before cutting. I also didn't have the exact size hole saw so I used exactly one size under and then used my die grinder and cutting bit to enlarge it a tiny bit. Then I deburred the edges and painted it and RTV'd it in place when I mounted it.

We bought a 2005 Rubicon Unlimited last week. Had a chance to go after some 4x4 caches over the weekend. It was our 1st ever off road trip, so we took it easy. It was sooo much fun! Still taking it easy since it's new to us, but here are a few pics.

4x4_0013.jpg

Here we are near the cache, with our buddy, who led the way.

whiteoak.jpg

4x4_0012.jpg

4x4_0005.jpg

Nice wheeling pics!!!

Thanks for sharing.