Garmin 60csx accuracy question?

boiseduo

so we were out geocaching and the unit said the cache was 28ft north. we took one step in that direction and all of a sudden it said it was 40ft south east! is there a setting i may have screwed up or something? i do have WAAS enabled but that should make it more accurate, shouldn't it? thanks for any help!!

:rolleyes:

so we were out geocaching and the unit said the cache was 28ft north. we took one step in that direction and all of a sudden it said it was 40ft south east! is there a setting i may have screwed up or something? i do have WAAS enabled but that should make it more accurate, shouldn't it? thanks for any help!!

What you describe is not unusual. The 60CSx is an excellent GPSr, but all GPS units have limitations and are affected by a number of variants that can cause confusing results. You don't describe the conditions of where you were at the time, but 30 ft is getting close to the accuracy of the unit.

One suggestion, make sure the compass is turned off by holding the Page button down. The compass does not work if you are holding the unit up at an angle as is typical when walking. I find the compass is handy when I'm within 100 ft or so of the destination, I then turn it on to get a bearing and then off again. I then use the GPS to narrow down the distance. If you use the compass, make sure it is calibrated and make sure you hold the unit flat and level.

I have also found it helpful to stand still for a few minutes when I get close to the cache location to let the unit settle down.

Happy trackin'

What you describe is not unusual. The 60CSx is an excellent GPSr, but all GPS units have limitations and are affected by a number of variants that can cause confusing results. You don't describe the conditions of where you were at the time, but 30 ft is getting close to the accuracy of the unit.

One suggestion, make sure the compass is turned off by holding the Page button down. The compass does not work if you are holding the unit up at an angle as is typical when walking. I find the compass is handy when I'm within 100 ft or so of the destination, I then turn it on to get a bearing and then off again. I then use the GPS to narrow down the distance. If you use the compass, make sure it is calibrated and make sure you hold the unit flat and level.

I have also found it helpful to stand still for a few minutes when I get close to the cache location to let the unit settle down.

Happy trackin'

thanks for your reply! we were actually in an open area, so should not have been a problem with reception or anything. it's only Day 2 for us as geocachers, so we are still definitely still adjusting and learning, but we love it. I will make sure the compass is off, I think it was, but we'll go back to that same one and see if we can't find it. Thanks!

Ditto for the previous replies. Here are additional suggestions:

(1) Go to the Garmin website and download the latest software for your unit. Even though the receiver is new (to you), it may have been sitting on the shelf in a warehouse for six months or more. See related posts in this forum for the latest news about what downloads are available.

(2) Once the software is updated (and just before a hunt), allow the unit to remain stationary for a few minutes, with good satellite reception, so it can download corrections from the GPS system.

(3) When you feel you are close to the cache, do as was suggested earlier and stand still to let the unit stabilize. While doing this, try putting it into the AVERAGE mode and let it calculate the position over a one-minute period. By comparing the unit's position with the coordinates of the cache, you will know whether to move north, south, east or west. Repeat this in different locations, as necessary.

-Paul-

EXAMPLES:

The latitude of a cache is published as being N37.630. Your GPS unit reads N37.628. Going in a northerly direction will increase numbers, which is what you want. Move to the north and take another reading.

The longitude of a cache is W78.580. Your reading is W78.584. Numbers increase as you move west, but that's not what you need. The GPS reading indicates you are presently west of your target, so move easterly and take another reading.

As you move, both the latitude and longitude may change. That's because a magnetic compass does not indicate precise directions. To avoid frustration, adjust one componet of the position, and then concentrate on the other. (Once you have practiced a few times, you will be able to work on both at the same time.)

Ditto for the previous replies. Here are additional suggestions:

(1) Go to the Garmin website and download the latest software for your unit. Even though the receiver is new (to you), it may have been sitting on the shelf in a warehouse for six months or more. See related posts in this forum for the latest news about what downloads are available.

(2) Once the software is updated (and just before a hunt), allow the unit to remain stationary for a few minutes, with good satellite reception, so it can download corrections from the GPS system.

(3) When you feel you are close to the cache, do as was suggested earlier and stand still to let the unit stabilize. While doing this, try putting it into the AVERAGE mode and let it calculate the position over a one-minute period. By comparing the unit's position with the coordinates of the cache, you will know whether to move north, south, east or west. Repeat this in different locations, as necessary.

-Paul-

EXAMPLES:

The latitude of a cache is published as being N37.630. Your GPS unit reads N37.628. Going in a northerly direction will increase numbers, which is what you want. Move to the north and take another reading.

The longitude of a cache is W78.580. Your reading is W78.584. Numbers increase as you move west, but that's not what you need. The GPS reading indicates you are presently west of your target, so move easterly and take another reading.

As you move, both the latitude and longitude may change. That's because a magnetic compass does not indicate precise directions. To avoid frustration, adjust one componet of the position, and then concentrate on the other. (Once you have practiced a few times, you will be able to work on both at the same time.)

Thanks for the detailed response, Paul!! We'll give it a go this weekend.