Thought I wanted a Garmin 76csx BUT

I already have a 76s which the better half uses and a 76cs but thought I would like a 76csx this year BUT. One problem is the inability to use lithium batteries and the other is all the problems people in the forums seem to be having with the new X series gpsr. Not sure if most of the problems are operator error or what but I am quite familiar with these 76 series gpsr so doubt operator error would be a factor for me. I also love the life, operation in extreme cold, and weight of lithium batteries. I have never liked rechargables because sometimes I won't use my gps for months and I can leave lithiums in the unit and not worry about changing them or them going dead. I would like the ability to add a larger memory card and have the new SIRF chip but to date I have not been hampered by either in my other 76 series units used for geocaching. I will admit I am a update to the latest and greatest kind of person. If you had the money ( a Christmas bonus ) would you personaly buy the 76csx ?

Thanks for all your input.

Team sidewinder

I already have a 76s which the better half uses and a 76cs but thought I would like a 76csx this year BUT. One problem is the inability to use lithium batteries and the other is all the problems people in the forums seem to be having with the new X series gpsr. Not sure if most of the problems are operator error or what but I am quite familiar with these 76 series gpsr so doubt operator error would be a factor for me. I also love the life, operation in extreme cold, and weight of lithium batteries. I have never liked rechargables because sometimes I won't use my gps for months and I can leave lithiums in the unit and not worry about changing them or them going dead. I would like the ability to add a larger memory card and have the new SIRF chip but to date I have not been hampered by either in my other 76 series units used for geocaching. I will admit I am a update to the latest and greatest kind of person. If you had the money ( a Christmas bonus ) would you personaly buy the 76csx ?

Thanks for all your input.

Team sidewinder

In answer to your last question.....I do & I did.

Previously had Eagle,12XL,76,76S,76CS,now have 76CS&76CSx

Have had ZERO problems, love the form factor (as evidenced above), easy to operate one handed while riding snowmobile, sensitivity is great, maintains lock in dense cover and very marginal conditions, great to be able to log tracks to the memory card, and if desired,load custom POIs....

in short, I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

Also, using lithium batteries is absolutely not a problem either. Just put them in a small flashlight first for about 2-3 minutes use and then put them in your GPSr and..... "drive on". All that's needed is to "knock the edge off " the excess starting voltage.

I did get a Christmas bonus and I did use it to buy a 76csx. It is on the way.

I personally like rechargeables. Yeah, they can lose a charge just sitting there and they eventually lose the ability to recharge sufficiently, but they're WAY cheaper to use. When someone comes up with a rechargeable lithium in the AA format, then I'll switch.

Personally, my primary GPS units are none other than the GPSmap 76CSx and the Vista Cx.

Aside from the gps receiver project I'm working on, myself, these receivers from Garmin are, to me, of the most reliable and feature-rich handheld gps units available today.

Just too bad their map data isn't as accurate as it could be. Still, it's adequate for most things. I generally prefer DeLorme's products when I need more detailed information (topo plus roads in 3D overlay.)

Buy one, update to the latest firmware, buy the latest-available mapsource map data, and you should be set.

Also buy a 1GB MiniSD Card, 2GB if you can find one, check for any issues with cards larger than 1GB, then enjoy using the GPS 76 series the way it was meant to be enjoyed, with lots of maps!

When you create maps for uploading in MapSource, did you know that--provided you have them installed--you can create mapsets from different mapping groups? A map from Topo, City Navigator, and Recreational Lakes, for example.

That's actually how MapSource works. You select the regions, states, boundaries, etc. from each mapping product you purchased in the same MapSource interface window. Each individual map product is selected from a drop-down menu.

Create each map you want from each program group, then bring up the send to device dialog, select maps on the appropriate check box, then hit the send button.

As a final word, it's a lot faster if you use the full-sized SD Card Adaptor that comes with most MiniSD cards I've seen (SanDisk) in a USB Card Reader, instead of sending the data to the MiniSD card when it is in the GPSmap 76CSx unit, itself.

Buy one! You won't regret it. :-)

Edited by Firefishe

I have had the Map76CSx since they first came out. From the begining I have used nothing but the Engergizer Lithium batteries. I have never experienced the problems some have reported about the initial voltage being too high. I have never had to take the edge off of the lithium batteries even when freshly purchased.

I highly recommend the 76CSx. The form factor and ability to float are the things about it I like over the 60CSx. I also have never had either the battery conctact or micro SD card contact problems some 60CSx users have reported. I use mine a lot, both hiking and four wheeling.

If you had the money ( a Christmas bonus ) would you personaly buy the 76csx ?

I would absolutely get the 60CSX, which is internally and functionally the same as the 76CSX. I just prefer the shape of the 60 and the fact that it comes with a belt clip.

If the 60CSX didn't exist, then I would have no problem going with the 76CSX.

I've seen the problems that some mention in the forums, but they seem to be minor and I doubt you will find a GPS manufactured that doesn't have a few glitches. Everyone that I know who has one of the 60/76x units is absolutely thrilled with it.

I respect all those who input was given here and know experience is the best source of information. One reason I like the 76 series is because I already have the ram car mount for my other gpsr and like the buttons on the bottom better. Just my personal preference. Glad to hear that some have not had any problems using lithiums.

Thanks again

team sidewinder

Also, using lithium batteries is absolutely not a problem either. Just put them in a small flashlight first for about 2-3 minutes use and then put them in your GPSr and..... "drive on". All that's needed is to "knock the edge off " the excess starting voltage.

Grasscatcher, have you seen the lithium battery shutdown on your 76CSx? So far, the only reports I've seen are for the 60C/CSx. I've been wondering if the 76 series also seen it.