When Are They Going To Get There Site Fixed

ftjak

Yes it can be frustrating, as in this morning I was getting servor too busy errors once again. They are working on it as usual so just be patient.

How can you be patient when they have been having this problem for days now? Doesn't anyone there know what they are doing?

How the heck are you supposed to load waypoints into your GPS when there site is all screwed up? Especially when you need to load them by tomorrwo.

Ftjak

Easy killer. They do the best they can with the resources they have available. For a great majority of the users the use of the site is free, and they ask for very little in return. I can understand your frustration, but failure to plan on your part does not constitute an emergency on their part.

Try again later, it should be working. If not, consider it one of the many challanges of geocaching.

-Jim

How the heck are you supposed to load waypoints into your GPS when there site is all screwed up? Especially when you need to load them by tomorrwo.

Ftjak

Easy killer. They do the best they can with the resources they have available. For a great majority of the users the use of the site is free, and they ask for very little in return. I can understand your frustration, but failure to plan on your part does not constitute an emergency on their part.

Try again later, it should be working. If not, consider it one of the many challanges of geocaching.

-Jim

yeah well thats the problem I can't do any geocaching if they don't get there site up and running and neither can anyone else. And it's not free at least to me it's not, maybe you it is. What do you mean failure to plan this site has been up and down for days now and maybe everyone doesn't have all day like you must to load waypoints

You can read the announcements section at the very top of the forums for updates on what's being done to improve site performance. It helped me to know that some consultants recently gave recommendations on making the site scaleable for a big jump in traffic.

When the site's not working, I catch up on other things. And by always having fairly recent pocket query data, I can still go caching even if today's latest and greatest info. isn't available. I plan a few days in advance. All it took was one trip where I postponed the waypoint downloading til the last minute, and the site was down.

You can read the announcements section at the very top of the forums for updates on what's being done to improve site performance. It helped me to know that some consultants recently gave recommendations on making the site scaleable for a big jump in traffic.

When the site's not working, I catch up on other things. And by always having fairly recent pocket query data, I can still go caching even if today's latest and greatest info. isn't available. I plan a few days in advance. All it took was one trip where I postponed the waypoint downloading til the last minute, and the site was down.

OK so they are trying to improve the site, fair enough but don't you think that maybe a Sunday morning might just be the wrong time to do it? Maybe sometime early in the morning or late at night might just be a little better.

I guess everybody can't be as wonderful as you are in planning ahead either and again everybody might not have all day to load waypoints like evidently you do.

So is this just a general "I'm going to bitch about the site and not take any feedback thread?"

Seriosuly, it's a game. If the site is down, do something else.

If you want to not have a crunch in getting waypoints loaded, schedule a Pocket Query to deliver waypoints to you every few days so you're never sitting around waiting for them. It doesn't take "all day". It takes about 2 minutes to schedule this and you'll always have a file in you inbox waiting for you when you need to go out.

OK so they are trying to improve the site, fair enough but don't you think that maybe a Sunday morning might just be the wrong time to do it? Maybe sometime early in the morning or late at night might just be a little better.

I guess everybody can't be as wonderful as you are in planning ahead either and again everybody might not have all day to load waypoints like evidently you do.

Is this going to be another one of those track-in-the-box type threads again? -The sight doesn't work today, I waited till the last minute to download my waypoints, now it's everybody else's fault and if you disagree with me I will resort to stomping my feet and pouting?

Give it a rest dude, you will just have to take a day off from 'caching.

By the way, does the smell really go away if I blow dry my cherios? I could never figure out how to do that. <_<

Only 15 more shopping days till Christmas.

-Jim

edited to fix smiley problem

Edited by undiscovered

Dude you are retired!!!! How can you not have time? We have the technology to be smarter cachers... Just use it. I just dont understand how some people can get so worked up over things that can be avoided by planning.

Edited by binghamjd

I must add my two cents..ok a nickel. I am in the same boat here, I planned a cache run to LBL today, set my pocket queries so I can have fresh data (days ago). The fresh queries would help me avoid the missing and recently archived caches. Now my queries are missing (no emails) and the site is down so I can't even download the gpx files individually. Yes its a game, I agree, but as with anything it is highly disappointing to have your plans thwarted because of site issues. I have the time to plan and execute but when the last minute updates are not available I am just asking for long hikes without any cache at the end. I am going anyway, I will mark this as another caching story to tell at the next meet and greet.

v/r

O-Mega/Jose

As I mentioned earlier, I'm not having any trouble accessing the site. At the moment, I'm doing routine maintenance work as a site volunteer, and plowing through lots of cache pages.

Here is a tip: Try logging out and logging back in again. This could be a case of one server being down, while other web servers are working. I hope that everyone is able to grab a few waypoints and have fun today!

If you blow dry your Cheerios, I think you can get the pee smell out of them.

Boy that was CLEVER. Took you that long to think that one up? BRILLIANT

Cheerios contain 22g of carbohydrates per 1 cup serving, in case you are wondering. <_< (Whole grain cereals I usually consume contain 25g per entire box)

I ran into "Server Unavailable" problems this morning, probably about the same time you did. I sympathize with you that it IS frustrating, but I've yet to see the lackeys slack off in trying to fix the problem as soon as possible. :mad:

since this has been a long time issue, perhaps if GC spent more time and resources fixing the problem, and less time moving virtuals around.......

/ducks from the incoming barrage fighting0066.gif

/chuckle <_<

Actually, removing virtuals to the Waymarking site should improve site performance since it shuffles a ton of potential cache pages to another site. It also gives them the time to focus on site performance issues instead of the few topics regarding "why wasn't my virtual approved" where these people argue for days to get their virt approved.

Sounds like the Waymarking site was a tremendous solution on more levels than some have thought of.

Thanks for helping with more great reasons for supporting the move!

FYI... the GC site is working fine for me too.

It would be nice if Premium Members had priority when there is heavy server load.

That would be Platinum Members.

If such a thing existed. :rolleyes:

Which I can't confirm or deny. <_<

Got to go work on all the PQs I've run this morning, now. :unsure:

Funny, I haven't had any problems, at least not while using the special Charter Member link to the site. :blink:

I have not run my local pocket query in a couple of months since I have been traveling so much. I decided to run it. It is in with no problems. Some of you may want to look at trying it again, verifying that it ran or not on the pocket query page (there is a verification), or checking your ISP or spam filter systems.

It's all these improvements. If they would quit making things better and offering new options it wouldn't fail on occasion. Change is bad.

Hmmm, now that I think about it, I haven't had any problems today and generated a PQ just fine.

Nevermind gc.com, go ahead and make your changes. :rolleyes:

It's all these improvements. If they would quit making things better and offering new options it wouldn't fail on occasion. Change is bad.

Hmmm, now that I think about it, I haven't had any problems today and generated a PQ just fine.

Nevermind gc.com, go ahead and make your changes. :rolleyes:

Personally I blame it on site users, if noone used the site there wouldn't be need to upgrade anything. There wouldn't be a need to rework things to be more efficient and run faster. Nonone would demand more maps, better maps, more links, more cache types. Heck if no new caches were submited the database would never need to change the numbering system. And just think, if the member base was totally static then it would be super easy to figure out the max number of users that could visit the site, and plan for only that number.

For those of you who are jumping all over ftjak I would say that you guys have a problem. Lep, you need to get a life that does not involve crapping on others. Unlike you, who has seen every post on this part of the forum in the last 4 years and took the time to carefully contrive clever or irritating responses in many of them, ftjak has only been at this a few months and is thus not aware of all the growing pains that geocaching has gone through in recent years.

In this case it is much more appropriate and correct to direct the OP to the recent announcement that some progress is being made.

ftjak, this happens generally on some weekends when the whole geocaching world tries to log cache finds and load their GPSrs. The sport has grown beyond everyone's expectations and the folks who run the site are well aware of the problems (and trying to do what they can to fix it). A post like yours shows up here nearly weekly; thus some otherwise civilized individuals get a bit testy because they have seen it hundreds of times (in case of a few who spend a lot of their life here in the forums, thousands of times).

For those of you who are jumping all over ftjak I would say that you guys have a problem. Lep, you need to get a life that does not involve crapping on others. Unlike you, who has seen every post on this part of the forum in the last 4 years and took the time to carefully contrive clever or irritating responses in many of them, ftjak has only been at this a few months and is thus not aware of all the growing pains that geocaching has gone through in recent years.

In this case it is much more appropriate and correct to direct the OP to the recent announcement that some progress is being made.

ftjak, this happens generally on some weekends when the whole geocaching world tries to log cache finds and load their GPSrs. The sport has grown beyond everyone's expectations and the folks who run the site are well aware of the problems (and trying to do what they can to fix it). A post like yours shows up here nearly weekly; thus some otherwise civilized individuals get a bit testy because they have seen it hundreds of times (in case of a few who spend a lot of their life here in the forums, thousands of times).

Go back and read my first post to this thread. It referred the OP to the announcements forum, just as you suggest. Second, it recommended advance planning, as have many other posts. It was an entirely helpful post.

To that post, the OP replied by being a gurk. Although he's retired, and I work full time, I was poked at for having too much time on my hands to load waypoints. Ummm, when PQ's are set up properly, loading waypoints takes just a few minutes. It was only after that comment that my tone turned snarky in return. People who post nicely generally receive nice responses from me.

I forgave the OP his transgressions, as I believe they were born out of frustration. Your post, on the other hand, is simply malevolent. I have reported the personal attack to the moderators.

G'day

For what it is worth I have been getting " Server Too Busy" errors for about four or five days pretty much everytime I got to the site which is most days. For those who have not been experiencing such issues, good for you, but for those who have and who have paid for access, it can be frustrating, well it is for me.

24 hours I could understand but days and for that matter on and off for sometime I am not so sure about.

I even just tried the suggestion of logging out .... and yep, got the "Server too busy" error message so can't even log out at the moment.

As to the announcement ... the last one was dated December 9, 2006 4:17 AM my time and it is now December 11, 2006 3:10 PM my time so I really see little benefit of being directed to a two day old announcment which states "We continued to monitor the site over the last 2 days and there have been no issues since" when in fact there have been server busy issues before and after that date.

So I can understand the OP frustrations and the OP frustrations at being directed to an announcment which seems of little help.

That said I also appreciate that Groundspeak is working on the issue but then they have been working on the issue for sometime it seems.

As to the growth, yep there has been growth, so has there been growth in their revenue stream ... access issues should have been built in ... basics of sytem design last time I checked my undergraduate text books.

Have fun

Andrew

It's weird that some people notice problems and others do not. It makes me think that maybe it happens more often through the day but for short periods of time so some notice and others do not.

I'm on my laptop quite a bit, and I use gc.com as my homepage. When it's down a lot I usually notice it. I haven't noticed it for a couple few days.

There is something strange as Ambrosia noted. Last night, in Clayjar's chat room, I was able to get into gc.com easily and someone else, at the same exact time, was getting the errors. I have had little trouble getting in although I do get the Server Too Busy screen from time to time, but not as often as others seem to see it.

And another interesting thing...it has been noted that sometimes it's because people are using IE. I use IE most of the time, and I'm still ok most of the time. Once when I was having problems getting on the site though, I tried Firefox and got right on. :mad:

This is confusing. :santa:

And another interesting thing...it has been noted that sometimes it's because people are using IE. I use IE most of the time, and I'm still ok most of the time. Once when I was having problems getting on the site though, I tried Firefox and got right on. :mad:

This is confusing. :santa:

Which brings up a question. Does any of this have something to do with IE7? I know that there have been problems with IE7. I was using a relatives computer while on vacation a few weeks ago and was not able to make comcast.net fully functional while checking my email.

Just a thought.

Edit to note that I am not using IE

Edited by WeightMan

Keep in mind there are two servers serving www.geocaching.com. Maybe one of them is working well while the other is returning errors.

If you open a DOS prompt and type "ping www.geocaching.com" (without the quotes) it will show an IP address of either 66.150.167.148 or 66.150.167.149 showing if you are connected to R2D2 or C3PO respectively. Unfortunately you have no control over which one you get; that's controlled by your internet nameserver.

G'day

I just tried a ping then and got 66.150.167.148. I also use Firefox 2 as my standard browser but I don't think this is a broswer issue. It is connecting as it gets a server busy error message.

It may in my case have something to with the time zone difference at least on some occasions, but it was happening quite frequently yesterday. For example it was 12:30 AM Pacific time when I encountered problems for the first time yesterday (my time).

Andrew

Edited by Aushiker

I have only seen the dreaded "server too busy error" maybe twice in the past several months. I do, however, often run into situations where a page stalls and doesn't seem to load. When this happens, I can open another browser window, go to geocaching.com and click the 2 clicks I need to get where I want to go...and it happens first in the new window.

I am a paid member...and I don't have any issue with it. I work in IT...so I know how hard it is to keep a webserver up and running efficiently under heavy load.