Geocaching Vancouver Island

Relic Hounds

I did one cache near Beechy Head the last week in Oct. Took 5 hrs. It was all up hill (compaired to southern Alberta) going in and coming out. I was certainly glad to see the car. Once I get the film developed for the plaque info I can probably claim "just Beechy" as well. Did not realize it was a virtual when I was there.

I was after "plantman_Geocache#1" We were staying at a b&b west of Sannich the park at East Sannich wasn't that far away and I wanted to do at least once cache while there. Beechey Head monument was on the route and I took pictures of it. I didn't realize it was also a cache until I got back home and was looking at other caches in the area. My wife got tired so she sat in a clearing, I waymarked her position and went on for another half hour to the plantman cache. She wasn't impressed when I got back to her location and had to holler to find where she was.

I was after "plantman_Geocache#1" We were staying at a b&b west of Sannich the park at East Sannich wasn't that far away and I wanted to do at least once cache while there. Beechey Head monument was on the route and I took pictures of it. I didn't realize it was also a cache until I got back home and was looking at other caches in the area. My wife got tired so she sat in a clearing, I waymarked her position and went on for another half hour to the plantman cache. She wasn't impressed when I got back to her location and had to holler to find where she was.

We've often waymarked our Jeep when we've gone off into the bushes, but I've never heard of someone Waymarking their wife!!

It was cold and wet during a weekend cache outing so we started all bundled and waterproofed for a day in the woods. As the sun came out and we worked up a sweat, we got pretty hot so decided to leave a cache of our outerwear, raincoats, hats, gloves, etc. under a tree while we hiked farther up the steep logging road... we waymarked them too!

Caching on the Island is fabulous. I am visiting on the Island right now. I used to live in Victoria before I knew about caching. :huh: Now I cache everytime I'm in town. The Island has some of the best caching around. Victoria supplies a huge number of caches and all of varying difficulty and types. If you can get out here, I would highly suggest caching here.

I live in the UK but I was over on the Island visiting relatives in August and whilst there, I was fortunate enough to have done Ammonite Falls which is in my top 5 all time caches.

Thoroughly recommend it.

For the 18 days we were there, I managed to get 78 caches done. Mostly during the 2 hours before my wife and kids got up for the day!

I live in Victoria on Vancouver Island. Caching here is AWESOME. I've been doing it since August 9th, 2006 and I'm at 351 caches so far. There are so many here and some of them are outstanding. If anyone is headed here, please feel free to contact me and I'll point out some great caches for you...

Happy hunting!

:laughing::DJust started geocaching this month.....Here in the Campbell River area there are so many. Started doing Quadra Island too! Lots of fun but I swear my dog is getting tired!!!But all in all its good exercise and I am getting to see stuff I never had before. Edited by vanislelady

B):DJust started geocaching this month.....Here in the Campbell River area there are so many. Started doing Quadra Island too! Lots of fun but I swear my dog is getting tired!!!But all in all its good exercise and I am getting to see stuff I never had before.

LOL love the pic of your dog B)

Cute pic of the guinapig!!!

As for Charlie? Well if I grab my backpack he beats me to the door...He likes this new activity!! B)

I live in Victoria on Vancouver Island. Caching here is AWESOME. I've been doing it since August 9th, 2006 and I'm at 351 caches so far. There are so many here and some of them are outstanding. If anyone is headed here, please feel free to contact me and I'll point out some great caches for you...

Happy hunting!

We 'spuchtfink' and 'faltohr' from Bremen / Germany - will be there in september / october 07 for a few days. Would be very nice to meet you.

Vancouver Island is one of the greatest places :):huh::) in the world ( an I've been in more than 130 countries ... ).

I've been there two times alone - and now I'd like to show my wife this beautyfull island :):(:D:D:D

:D

spuchtfink and faltohr

from

Bremen / Germany

- the city of the townmusicians

http://www.brementownmusicians.com/en/main

I was geocaching a little in Victoria, but this is a common problem.

Now I live in Port Alberni and it is just the best place for hiking and all other outdoor activities. :-)

Well we hope you CITO'd that pile of trash in the video you've linked to :o . I guess you must have already CITO'd the other cache site (in your other video) because it looked neat as a pin :) .

I was geocaching a little in Victoria, but this is a common problem.

Now I live in Port Alberni and it is just the best place for hiking and all other outdoor activities. :-)

Well we hope you CITO'd that pile of trash in the video you've linked to :anitongue: . I guess you must have already CITO'd the other cache site (in your other video) because it looked neat as a pin :anitongue: .

I would have CITO'd the pile of needles if I had safety gloves and a biocontainer handy. Usually a biohazard team is called in.

BS! Yes there are Junkies in Victoria and Port Alberni, but never have never come across such a pile of druggy litter, so to say it's everywhere is a bit of (a huge) exageration.

Southern Vancouver Island is a wonderful, safe place to cache, granted a little over saturated by laim-o drive to's, but still, there's something for everyone, even sloth, fat people.

Edited by eroyd

Hmm... BS?

Okay, disregard the video people. Obviously I'm wrong.

I lived there for 24 years and I saw the needles everywhere, including practically every nature park I went to. Come to think of it, it's always in the news. But it's just BS so okay dokey.

I don't mind someone pointing out that there's more to Victoria than homelessness, addiction and drug paraphernalia, but to say it's BS when I have the video and it's such a well known issue kinda irks me.

Face up to reality and don't throw your denial in my face and make me out as some sort of liar.

I have lived here near 40 yrs. I avoid the city core for what it has become. Yes, it is not hard to find a discarded siringe, but to portray a pile of them as what you find, "eeeverywhere in Victoria","every time you set foot in the bush", is wrong. They sure as heck aren't obvious in what I would consider "nature parks" throughout the CRD. You may hate Victoria or some of the cachers, but it's no worse than a lot of towns. (P.A. included)

Hmm... BS?

I lived there for 24 years and I saw the needles everywhere, including practically every nature park I went to. Come to think of it, it's always in the news. But it's just BS so okay dokey.

I don't mind someone pointing out that there's more to Victoria than homelessness, addiction and drug paraphernalia, but to say it's BS when I have the video and it's such a well known issue kinda irks me.

Face up to reality and don't throw your denial in my face and make me out as some sort of liar.

Speak with any city employed grounds keeper.

Port Alberni does not have this problem in anywhere near the extent as Victoria.

I don't know why you're so defensive about it. Just the facts, man.

I won't continue to respond to this topic because I feel you're just looking for an arguement because you're certainly not interested in the truth.

I have lived here near 40 yrs. I avoid the city core for what it has become. Yes, it is not hard to find a discarded siringe, but to portray a pile of them as what you find, "eeeverywhere in Victoria","every time you set foot in the bush", is wrong. They sure as heck aren't obvious in what I would consider "nature parks" throughout the CRD. You may hate Victoria or some of the cachers, but it's no worse than a lot of towns. (P.A. included)

Hmm... BS?

I don't think it is being defensive, more having pride in your community and don't want a bad picture painted for those who read the boards.

I think this is a problem in virtually any community you goto in todays society. Obviously going to be more visible in a larger population base!

I fortunately have never seen this problem in the wild; however, I am an investigator who works on Organized Retail Crime and drug problems are huge everywhere on this Island (and off). PA might not have as large of a problem, but believe me it is there. Alcohol on the other hand in PA.......................well that is another story!

Down town in 'choice' locations you may find drug paraphernalia, rarely to the degree you depicted and definately not everywhere, especially if you consider the entire CRD. Watch and listen to your own video.

Port Alberni does not have this problem in anywhere near the extent as Victoria.

Per capita - worse! Most of my extended family lives there so I spend a fare bit of time in the area. Unfortunately being a stones throw away from the epicentre, S. Nanaimo, has it's effect. Talk to any city grounds keeper.

Personally not a big fan of the City of Victoria anymore, but never liked individuals that spew gross exagerations . . . man. Watch and listen to your own video

I won't continue to respond to this topic because I feel you're just looking for an arguement because you're certainly not interested in the truth.

Your right, I'm always looking for a good argument, but smart on you, declining to argue a losing side.

Cheers!

Flamer

Down town in 'choice' locations you may find drug paraphernalia, rarely to the degree you depicted and definately not everywhere, especially if you consider the entire CRD. Watch and listen to your own video.

Per capita - worse! Most of my extended family lives there so I spend a fare bit of time in the area. Unfortunately being a stones throw away from the epicentre, S. Nanaimo, has it's effect. Talk to any city grounds keeper.

Personally not a big fan of the City of Victoria anymore, but never liked individuals that spew gross exagerations . . . man. Watch and listen to your own video

Your right, I'm always looking for a good argument, but smart on you, declining to argue a losing side.

Cheers!

I thought you were done :P .

You've found 7 caches, 3 in urban parks in Victoria that I would not visit after dark alone, even with the dog. You found needles in a city park where druggies hang out near the mall and you are surprised?!

If you ever come back to cache in Victoria, you'll have way nicer scenery if you go to Mt. Work, Mt. Wells or Mill Hill to go caching - they are all in CRD Parks. The folks who use the needles you've found, rarely make it out of the downtown core parks and into the wondrous vistas that Victoria is world-famous for.

Did I just waste my breath?

I live in the Comox Valley, and I don't have a vehicle of my own, so geocaching on foot gets progressively harder the farther I go, that is if I don't take transit. But that hasn't stopped me from racking up 29 geocache finds so far. What I would really like, though, is to have a geocaching buddy with a vehicle so I can rack up at least five geocaches in a day. Would anyone like to rendezvous with me and go on a geocaching day trip in the Comox Valley?

I live in the Comox Valley, and I don't have a vehicle of my own, so geocaching on foot gets progressively harder the farther I go, that is if I don't take transit. But that hasn't stopped me from racking up 29 geocache finds so far. What I would really like, though, is to have a geocaching buddy with a vehicle so I can rack up at least five geocaches in a day. Would anyone like to rendezvous with me and go on a geocaching day trip in the Comox Valley?

I just signed on to this site and am looking to wander the bush. I've even got a sweet Island ride (Vanagon). I'm in Courtenay and I'm pretty good with a GPS & map ( use them for work..). Let me know if you're still interested. For anyone else: the van seats 9 with lots of room for packs!!