Unite TBs... To attach or not?

The Cheeseheads

I wish we could do a poll for this one...

How any people are going to attach their TB to something and how many are just going to drop it in a cache as is?

If you're going to attach it to something, what will it be?

I'm probably going to do one of my full-sheet Shrinky-Dink tags like I did for the Jeeps and make it clear what the goal of the bug is. I probably won't attach anything else unless I come up with a stunning idea in the next couple of days.

I'm hoping to get one, and plan to send it out in honor of my family's dog, who we had to put down this year after fighting with diabetes for around 3 years. So I was either going to get a sheet of printable shrinky dinks and make a picture tag of her, or make a new "id tag" from one of those stations at big box stores with her name and the years she spent with us.

I like the idea of a shrinky dink goal sheet - what do you think your goals will be?

My question is about the blue ring that seems to be attached to them... is that like a spare bug tag, for the "owner" to keep, or is that part of the bug, and intended to be released with it?

We felt like attaching a little photo album to it. We were going to start ours on its journey with a photo of my Grandfather, Father & Uncle who all have fought diabetes. Figured it would be a nice gesture for others to include photos of friends and family that have fought it as well.

Oh yeah, and ours is headed for Qarmadah, Tunisia where the nearest cache is over 60 miles away!

Common geocaching courtesy is that you don't attach anything to someone's bug without asking them first. I would suggest you do not attach anything to it that will make it too appealing to let go of.

These travel bugs are to help raise Diabetes awareness, and if you start attaching things to it, that hide the symbol of the message they are trying to send, well, that just wouldn't be fair. People requested the United For Diabetes Travel Bugs to help send this message out, not to make it their own personal TB. We can all make plenty of those, can't we?

maybe i missed something, because it wasnt very clear to me and a lot of others that i know....i was under the impression that the tag should be attached to something.....that the blue halo was just an icon to help set these apart. however after reading earthas post i see that i am wrong. maybe it should be more clear. i just released mine......i attached a small piece of wood that stated where it was going and were it was from...not really a bug but i think many others will do the same.......any way its on it way

I went to release my unite TB today and could not find an activation code??? Could I have lost it in the packaging when it arrived? What do I do if I can't find the activation code anymore? How do I activate it? Please help???

The United For Diabetes TBs are already activated. You only need to grab it from its current location. If you are having trouble logging it, first make sure that the 0s are not Os and the Is are not 1s. If that doesn't work for you, send an email with both the tracking number on the tag, and the TB number on the page (if you have it) to contact@Groundspeak.com and put "U4D TB tracking# problem" as your subject line.

How any people are going to attach their TB to something and how many are just going to drop it in a cache as is?

I'm probably going to do one of my full-sheet Shrinky-Dink tags like I did for the Jeeps and make it clear what the goal of the bug is. I probably won't attach anything else unless I come up with a stunning idea in the next couple of days.

To the Cheeseheads and others .

This is not you TB it already has its own goals and the little blue ring ihe TB. Please follow the rules and ask permission of the ownere of these TB's which is the foundation. I am sure as Eartha said they would not look kindly to attaching your own item to there TB. There also is no activation codes as it does not belong to us we are not the owners, all that needs to be done is be the first cacher to log it and then set it out on its journey/goal that was set by its owner..

while the fact that the little blue halo IS the bug has become evident to some i think that we will find a large percentage travelling with an additional companion. since there are 20k of these out there i dont think the "owners" are going to keep track of how each and every one get sent off....solo blue halo or with someones thought out tribute or mission statement......after re reading the home page for these bugs aand if you know the nomenclature it is evident that these are bugs and not just dogtags. i think that since the bug is so small in comparison to the tag its quite an understatement in comparison to what most cahers see in the field and have become accustomed to. that being said i dont think it will hinder their missions. mine (or rather the one that was entrusted to me)is almost halfway to its goal of bixby OK. in this small town there are almost 700 caches, and its only been out there a week.

I didn't see "the ring" as the bug itself... My wife attached a small measuring spoon to hers and I attached a small pair of scissors. We did this as "personal reminders" of diabetes and see nothing wrong with it.

Now, attaching it to something unrelated just to make a "free" TB is something I don't agree with.

In this case, what happens with the blue ring????

IMHO attaching something makes sense, but chanching or taking off something is not the idea.

To the Cheeseheads and others .

This is not you TB it already has its own goals and the little blue ring ihe TB. Please follow the rules and ask permission of the ownere of these TB's which is the foundation. I am sure as Eartha said they would not look kindly to attaching your own item to there TB. There also is no activation codes as it does not belong to us we are not the owners, all that needs to be done is be the first cacher to log it and then set it out on its journey/goal that was set by its owner..

I asked this because even with the blue ring attached, just dropping it as-is into a cache seemed to be about the equivalent of dropping an unattached TB tag into a cache. Tagging it to a plastic McToy would probably not be appropriate, but since mine had a goal of reaching Lichtenstein, I thought something related to that would be appropriate.

Due to an absence of Liechtensteiner supply stores here in Kenosha, I simply attached a laminated business card stating the goal city and sent it on its way.

When I first requested a Unite TB I didn't realize that it wouldn't be shown as belonging to me on the website. I wasn't worried about that, but it was a surprise to me when it arrived and I wanted to activate it. Upon further reading I realized that the tags actually belong so someone else and decided not to go ahead with my plan to attach something to it. I think the blue ring is enough anyway. It's simple, and to the point. Before releasing the one I received I printed off its info sheet and put that into a ziploc with the tag. I think that's all it needs.

I found another Unite TB in a local cache that someone had attached a info sheet and a logbook to. They assigned it a "short term goal" of going to another cache in a nearby city. The idea is once it reaches the "short term goal" cache the person who picks it up is supposed to assign it a new short term goal and write it in the logbook. What do you all think of that idea? I personally thought it was kinda bizarre. The bug already has a goal. There's really no need to assign it another one that may distract from it's original intention.

Edit: http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.as...7c-c7519b0a649d

Edited by Canada4Life

"Mine" has a "Luck" care bear attached and a hand made beaded keychain with my father's name. He is "lucky" because he was diagnosed with gout and almost died because he actually had Type 2 Adult Diabetes. I think its appropriate and I don't consider it My bug. It is what it is and I hope someone somewhere is properly diagnosed before a similar or more tragic event befalls them.

Edited by ZSandmann