Ram Cradle 60csx

You have to put the button on the back of the GPS, same one that you use for the belt clip. You put the gps in the mount bottom first and then the little ring is suppose to clip on the button. Here's the problem, they make them so that they are very hard to get on and off due to the different uses (MTB and ATV). If you look in the little hole, you will see a piece of plastic there. You can file that down to make it easier to secure the GPS and take it out. I have been in contact with RAM and they tell me that this is ok to do and does not do anything to the warranty.

I bought on too, but have not installed it yet.... wife wrapped it before I could.

Good luck

J

I have the set up you speak of, and as Cache R Joe said, with the button attached to the unit, it goes into its cradle with some effort. I would not however modify the cradle to make its operation easier. Let it do that its self over time. I have found that it is a technique to get it in and out ( so to speak ), and it not a real problem to learn to do with the mount installed. RAM has designed the cradle with an arch in the back to give you more leverage and it does work. Id suggest putting a little time in it before filing it down.

I have had my RAM mount for about six months. When I got it I found it difficult to get the GPS in and out, so filed it down some, as mentioned above. It is made of very durable nylon, or whatever, and it would have taken forever to "wear" in. It works great. No probs. here. You just have to be careful not to remove too much material.

When I first tried out the RAM cradle, I had to use an Allen wrench to unscrew the button from the back, in order to remove it. A little filing fixed it right up. Just do a little at a time.

Also the hole that the button fits into is near the end of an arm. At the very end of the arm is a tab. To remove the unit, put your thumb on the front of the tab, your forefinger on the back of the arm, and flex the arm back (push back with your thumb, and push towards you with your forefinger). You should only be able to remove the unit by flexing the arm. If you can remove the unit just by pulling it, you've probably filed down the button lip too much.

I also strongly recommend slightly filing down the tab others have talked about. The cradle is so tight on mine I would have broken some part of the GPS unit by now if I hadn't. Besides I was pulling the unti so hard to get it out I nearly ended up dropping it off the boat - not good. I have used mine for a year and can tell you it didnt even start to wear down on its own so i had to get the file out. Recommend using a small rounded file so that the tab can be shaped to fit around the button properly.

When I first tried out the RAM cradle, I had to use an Allen wrench to unscrew the button from the back, in order to remove it. A little filing fixed it right up. Just do a little at a time.

Forgive me for wandering off topic a bit, but I just wanted to point out that this is not an issue with the eTrex RAM mount cradle. The eTrex cradle has two tabs at the top that pry apart to slide in the top of the GPSr. Very easy and no "break-in" required. Add this to the fact that the turn alert tones are louder on my VentureCX than my 60CSx and perhaps it becomes evident why I am beginning to prefer it to the 60CSx for all things except use under heavy cover. :(

We now return you to the regularly scheduled topic.

I would not however modify the cradle to make its operation easier. Let it do that its self over time. I have found that it is a technique to get it in and out ( so to speak ), and it not a real problem to learn to do with the mount installed. RAM has designed the cradle with an arch in the back to give you more leverage and it does work. Id suggest putting a little time in it before filing it down.

I wish that were the case. I didn't file mine down and simply used the tab to push the arm back to remove the GPS. After about 6 mos. or so, the arm is now cracked. When I get my replacement from RAM, I'm definitely going to file the nub a little bit to reduce the degree to which I have to bend back the arm.

GeoBC

Forgive me for wandering off topic a bit, but I just wanted to point out that this is not an issue with the eTrex RAM mount cradle. The eTrex cradle has two tabs at the top that pry apart to slide in the top of the GPSr. Very easy and no "break-in" required. Add this to the fact that the turn alert tones are louder on my VentureCX than my 60CSx and perhaps it becomes evident why I am beginning to prefer it to the 60CSx for all things except use under heavy cover. :(

We now return you to the regularly scheduled topic.

I've got a RAM eTrex (original style) mount. I suggest modifying it by removing the right "ear" tab, unless you need a super-secure fit. It makes it much easier to put the unit in, and take it out. And it's much easier it you have the data/power cable plugged in.