Firmware update for my explorist 500

yitbos

I was wondering if I need to upgrade the firmware in my Explorist 500. But I'm not sure what version I currently have. I went to the menu and about screen. The very first thing listed is Rev. 5.1.61 Mar 14 2005. But on the MagellanGPS website, it says firmware is 2.03. Am I missing something here? What is Rev. 5.1.61? And where do I find my firmware version?

Is it worth even upgrading the firmware? The one problem I've had with my 500 is the reaquisition of the signals when it should not need to do that. For example, I left the airport yesterday and it had enough signals to give me a position. I told it to plot a course to "home" and I got about a mile down the road and then it started searching for signals all over again. I drove more than 5 miles before it finally had the signals back. By then, it thougth I was going the wrong way and I had to reroute.

I don't know that this firmware will help but I don't want to screw it up either. I've read somewhere that a couple of people have had problems upgrading the firmware and I don't want to mess with having to send this in for repair.

Thanks for your ideas and help everyone. I use this all the time since we just moved to the Phoenix area and don't know our way around very well.

This question should probably be in the GPS Units and Software section but the answer is you have version 1.61.

Is it worth it to upgrade? Yes.

Go to the Megellan web site and download the new version. Just follow the instructions and you shouldn't have any problems. When you are done your screen will say revision 5.2.03.

Will it help solve your problem? Perhaps not but it certainly won't hurt it. Did you pass under a tunnel or bridge that might have interupted the reception?

They ARE good units.