Tools of the sport?

MN-CACHE-TRACKER

Well, just did my first geocache, but we've been hiking for a while. I always carry a backpack with water, first aid kit, flashlight, some snack, large rain poncho, roll-up hat, and now... geo-swag :laughing: For slightly longer walks, my 2 Lil Men carry their own backpacks with very similar things in them.

Teaching them to be prepared, even though it is HIGHLY unlikely we're going to get stranded anywhere here in Jersey.

The gloves and paper towels are great ideas. You get tired of wiping your hands on your pants in wet or snowy conditions. Also some small 3 by 5 inch or smaller hard flat surface like a note pad to help write on, when signing the log. Didn't see camera but maybe I missed it

The gloves and paper towels are great ideas. You get tired of wiping your hands on your pants in wet or snowy conditions. Also some small 3 by 5 inch or smaller hard flat surface like a note pad to help write on, when signing the log. Didn't see camera but maybe I missed it

The Most Important thing to bring with You :

the co-ords where You parked Your car ! :):yikes:<_<:)

Edited by CRAZY DIAMONDS
'Team Henzlik'

Hemistat.gif

I need to add that to my in-town pack..

I'm probably one of those people that is over prepared.

I have 2 packs, one for in town and one for hiking. I keep both in the car all the time along with a map bag and clip board.

My hiking pack contains:

3 Liters water

1 roll Toilet Paper

Hiking bell

Small roll duct tape

Gerber Multi Tool

Work Gloves

First Aid Kit w/ 4-0 Suture Kit

Water Purification pump

Snacks

Flashlight

Small back-up flashlight

4 AA Batteries

4 AA Batteries in a different pocket

Lighter

Matches in a bag

More matches in a different bag

Thermos of Coffee

~35' Rope

Carabiners

map bag w/ personal log, maps & stuff

Compass

GPS

2 way radio (if I am out with a friend)

Cell phone

Flask of Rum

Spare log books

Spare baggies

Spare pens

SWAG of course

and a bunch of little crap I forgot to list...

usually carry my camera bag, full with camera, spare batteries for camera and gps, headphones and mp3/FM radio player, pen. Then I have my swag-bag, wraps around my waist with swag, new baggies for caches and extra log books. I also have my cellphone. Usually have drinks in the cooler in my vehicle.

But if I'm on my quad, I have everything I need to get me out of most situations. From tools to first aid kits, cooler with drinks and food, fishing rods, tow straps and winches.

I like to be prepared.

Geocaching isn't the only activity that can cause you to lock yourself out of your vehicle. I have a spare key in a magnetic holder underneath both mine, learned through hard experience.

Can we get coordinates on those magnetic micros? :blink:

Oh, that was toooo tempting! :laughing:

Driver Carries Cache

(madmike)

(who's locked himself out of his car more times than he cares to remember!)

Geocaching isn't the only activity that can cause you to lock yourself out of your vehicle. I have a spare key in a magnetic holder underneath both mine, learned through hard experience.

Personally, I carry a couple of slim jims in the back of my truck - and they have proved worth their weight in gold on several occasions.

It seems that one of my Marines was always locking himself out of his vehicle. I remember one particular time that I saw a Marine on base looking longingly through his window at the keys hanging in the ignition. I told him that I had a slim jim in my truck if he wanted to give it a shot (most Marines fumble around with it for 30-40 minutes before they get the car open). His eyes lit up and he said yes, sir - that would be great! He had the truck unlocked in less than 5 seconds. He saw my astonished look and sheepishly handed the tool back to me. I told him that I wouldn't bother asking what he did before he entered the U.S. Marine Corps!

The Surefire M3-HA Combatlight. Probably the most useful flashlight/illumination device I have ever owned in my life. You turn this thing on and night turns to day. Also, a swiss army knife is a good thing to have (The Victorinox Swiss Champ is a great deal actually). Furthermore, ALWAYS carry a magnetic compass of some sort when doing any kind of hiking or geocaching. I'm really new to geocaching so I can't tell you how exactly to find a cache solely with a compass, but if you get lost and your GPSr decides to go freaky, It'll be mighty helpful. And last but not least... Bottled Water! Bring some sort of beverage or water filtration system or you'll be sorry later when you get lost and you have nothing to drink but microbial infested water.

<_< ..just depends on the mission..there's no reason to get out the big bag'o stuff for a drive-by..then it's just some trading stuff or one of my geo-sig items and I always like to keep a couple of backup batteries in the pocket. If it's a long hike..I just consider the elements and the trip. The digital camera's always good to have along..and yes..I do have a spare key hiding..and I always check'n see if I still have the stuff that I got to the cache with..with me when I'm leaving it. I've left my GPS and my phone sittin' near the cache and hadta make a trip back.. :P

..and I always keep a spray bottle of some alcohol and some wipes and some PI stuff back in the truck for that three-leafed viney plant..I hate PI..

Edited by barondriver

Love the flask of rum and stats... :P

For a standard [easy] trip it's just Ziploc bags, Trash bag, Logbook/pencils, Map/cache notes/PDA, Small calculator, Batteries, SWAG, Pedometer, Cell phone, Camera/mini-tripod, Walking Stick, Beef jerky, Granola bars, Trail mix, Water and GPSR.

For the longer haul, I use a camelbak stuffed with a First aid kit: Instant ice pack, Smelling salts, Ace bandage, Band-aids, Tylenol, Aspirin, Motrin, Butterfly closures, Gauze, Chapstick, Adhesive tape, Moleskin, Antiseptic, Snakebite kit, Bug bite swabs, Alcohol pads, Iodine swabs, Cotton balls/swabs, Eye wash

Plus: Rain poncho, Roll of TP, Mylar survival blanket, Light sticks, Small flashlight, Hand warmers, Bug repellant, Compass, Signal mirror, Sunscreen, Pocket knife, Leatherman, Whistle, Cable saw, Fire starters, Waterproof matches, Rope (50 ft, 1/4 in. nylon), and a Sweat shirt/jacket.

I am probably carrying too much. I usually do. Although I need a good compass and walking stick yet. I am only on my third cache and have probably gotten over my head. Its a very EVIL Micro. The leaves, the leaves. I have thought of taking a metal detector or leaf blower up there but I suppose that would not be kosher. Has anyone ever used anything like that? I carry a back pack with the too much stuff in it. I also take binoculars just for the vistas. Very nice thread. Thank you.

well I am new to caching but an old hand in the bush.... carry a good knife and keep it sharp.

Many other suggestions were great... I have been carrying an engineering compass in the bush for some time... good for taking a heading.

I have a new style zenon(sp?) flashlight that takes 3 AA batteries... 1 more of the same kind my gps takes, and those new style flashlights put very little drain on the batt's ...should ya need to switch. B)

I also carry a hunk of pine sap for starting a fire if need be.... nothing beats it. Keep it in wax paper in an old sock.

Edited by Opus58