mchenry county new geocaching policy

huskerrich2000

Hi! Do you mean the McHenry Water Conservation District in Northen Illinois? Or is this a policy in Nebraska?

The Illinois one is fairly new, and seems to be quite caching friendly. They have given permission for caches in some nice areas.

In Nebraska, I am familiar with the NRD policies, but am not aware of any new ones since I moved. Let me know which state you are looking at! Then we can get this in the right forum. :huh:

i learned about the new policy in a letterboxing forum carleen, you have referenced the correct governing body (McHenry Water Conservation District) . I referred to you because I know you are in the general vicinity and knew somewhat the policies that I am familiar with from Nebraska. I have since heard some of the restrictions.

1) must have permit good for a year issued from the Conservation District (no charge)

2) only three caches allowed in a given area

3) must be within 12' of the established trail system and not located in an enviormently sensitive area

so far, sounds pretty good and fair to both the governing and to the geocaching and letterboxing communities.

Yeah, that sounds like the policy. So far I don't know of any problems with it in terms of things getting permission. They have been allowing most caches. Except for the limits of being near trails, it is actually less stringent than some policies out here. But more stringent than what you might see in Nebraska.

I'll get this moved back to the midwest forum. <_<