Enlightened Employer?

kbootb

Caching legally on the firm's time today. For some reason they had a 'well-being' afternoon. They arranged a few events like massage, salsa dance lesson etc, but some of us complained that nothing catered for the 'outdoor type' so we were allowed to arrange our own activity. Hours of daylight are precious, so it was good to get out caching after a long break. Took a work colleague and she enjoyed it.

Finally placed 5 TBs that I had been holding on to for far too long!

My employer insists that I fit a couple of caches in whenever I'm travelling to a job even if they are only MM's. :wub:

When I'm working away they usually arrange for a bit of free time so that I can bag a few more. :D

Seems fair they scratch my back and I go caching! :)

Cheers

Dave

Edited by The Mars Bars

Slightly off topic - standing by the side of the road last Wednesday I was relieved to spot a likely looking object at the bottom of a shallow hole. I reached in and, after a slight struggle, retrieved it.

The trouble was that I was out for a lunchtime walk at work and my pedometer had fallen off my waistband onto the road. With a 1 in 4 chance of it finding the entrance to a drainage channel rather than solid kerb it chose the former but it looked within easy reach. I went into autopilot i.e. geocaching mode and set about getting it out. When I got back to my desk I realised that I had managed to cut my arm. This led to an entry in the accident book and subsequent investigation with my boss. The outcome was a recommendation that I should perform a risk assessment should a similar situation arise again – heaven only knows what would be said if he saw what I get up to when caching!

We have done a fair few caches with the bosses permission.

Most memorable was the excellent 'down under' with Mr P and Mr Sparkes.

I do work out of hours for them and they think it fair to return the favour.

ALthough they did think us mad for doing the cache mentioned above :cry:

Quite right Mick, I remember that day well and you did put the extra hrs in to make up for it! but that cache is no longer available :huh: for others to tackle, but thats another subject so I'll not go there!

Whenever I have a meeting out of my "usual radius of caching" I try and squeeze in a cache or two.

I get sent away to overnight conferences about three or four times a year, and I used to complain bitterly about it... now I'm desperate for those times of year to roll along!!

This thread is a few weeks old and I'm only just getting to know how the forums work (so to speak) but here's my 2 penn'th.

For me, caching during works time has become a formality although I have busier periods when I can't (like the last few months). However once my current project is completed I'll be out there on company pay once again!

:laughing:

Carlos

Edited by Carlos & The Birdie Crew

My boss is well aware of my little geocaching addiction. In fact, I got him into geocaching a few months ago. Yesterday was a very slow day at work. At around 12:30 he messaged me and said I could go home if I wished since it was so slow. He then mentioned that it might be a great excuse to get some caching in...which I did.

I know that if I owned a company I would certainly encourage such activities. An employee that is given a chance to "get away and wind down" is a more productive employee when they're in the office.

My employer insists that I fit a couple of caches in whenever I'm travelling to a job even if they are only MM's. :D

When I'm working away they usually arrange for a bit of free time so that I can bag a few more. :D

Seems fair they scratch my back and I go caching! :D

Cheers

Dave

Being the said employer I can vouch for both the above and below...not that I employ "the below" :D

Dont know what you are all bothered about.... just become the employer and bingo... caching within work hours is OK ! [:D]

When I mention to my staff... "I will be back in an hour......." They know I am caching for that elusive FTF !

[:D]

Not sure that it's a fair way to spend public money though Hazel :D That's like paying myself to go caching and paying taxes for you to keep up? :D hmmm....

Whenever I have a meeting out of my "usual radius of caching" I try and squeeze in a cache or two.

I get sent away to overnight conferences about three or four times a year, and I used to complain bitterly about it... now I'm desperate for those times of year to roll along!!

And I'm definately dobbin' you in Steve.. :D

This thread is a few weeks old and I'm only just getting to know how the forums work (so to speak) but here's my 2 penn'th.

For me, caching during works time has become a formality although I have busier periods when I can't (like the last few months). However once my current project is completed I'll be out there on company pay once again!

:laughing:

Carlos

Cheers

Dave

Edited by The Mars Bars

Ohhhhhh caching on't skive is brill! Best one I've managed so far is a 4 mile hike, and back for afternoon brew :P Am away with work quite a lot, so especially in summer its a nice diversion from dull evenings in hotel rooms!

Or dark cold evenings away from the hotel around the Millennium Dome with a Maglite etc.. :P

Looking forward to it already..bbrrrrrrrrrrr :)

Making TB's on works time with free mat's 'n labour is usefull too eh Mark? :P

Not sure that it's a fair way to spend public money though Hazel :) That's like paying myself to go caching and paying taxes for you to keep up? :P hmmm....

To be fair though Dave... If I've been sent away to an overnight conference, what I do after 5pm is NOT spending public money - it is infact, like being imprisoned in work... only a boring hotel for company.... I'd say I'm MORE than entitled to go cachng after the conference!!

To be fair though Dave... If I've been sent away to an overnight conference, what I do after 5pm is NOT spending public money - it is infact, like being imprisoned in work... only a boring hotel for company.... I'd say I'm MORE than entitled to go cachng after the conference!!

Very very true Hazel, and it also cuts down your bar bill..... a teeny tiny bit :P

Only joking....again. :)

Cheers

Dave

Very very true Hazel, and it also cuts down your bar bill..... a teeny tiny bit :P

Cheers

Dave

Hee hee - yeah there is that!!!

Mind you - if it's a school night Sally Smirnoff would not be out to play!

Cheers

Dave

Only a guess, but it's a while since you left school, I'd say.... :P

Cheers

Dave

Only a guess, but it's a while since you left school, I'd say.... :P

Aye... but not as long as you - old chap!

I work near Cambridge and had to go up to Heysham near Morecombe for two days before Christmas (Thu/Fri). One of the bosses there said he had booked me into the hotel for an extra night to allow me to have a look around... being so close to the Lakes.

Well as you can imagine I did not look the gift horse in the mouth and did 5 caches. Its a bit hillier up there than around East Anglia.... more of an effort :D

Great day and it allowed me pick up my daughter from Uni for Xmas from Stoke.

Sweet !! ;)