Garmin MapSource ver. 6.11.6.0

Dirtnapper

Did an update this am for MapSource, instead of 6.9 ver. , it is downloading ver. 6.11.6.0; posted on 12/7 on their site.

Can you provide the Garmin link to this update? I've looked in several places under Garmin's Updates and Downloads pages and didn't see any updates just for Mapsource. I also went into my Mapsource program's help tool bar and told it to check for updates and it came back that no updates are available. I'm using Mapsource v6.10. Thanks.

Did an update this am for MapSource, instead of 6.9 ver. , it is downloading ver. 6.11.6.0; posted on 12/7 on their site.

Can you provide the Garmin link to this update? I've looked in several places under Garmin's Updates and Downloads pages and didn't see any updates just for Mapsource. I also went into my Mapsource program's help tool bar and told it to check for updates and it came back that no updates are available. I'm using Mapsource v6.10. Thanks.

I used check for updates under Help...am downloading the 43 mb file right now :wub:

MSUpdate.jpg

But when they reposted it yesterday it included the Map UnlockWizard. Last weeks file was 35mb, this weeks is 45mb. Might be worth reinstalling if you were an early adopter. Also, last weeks version couldn't find my Topo maps. This week it can.

As I mentioned in that other thread, I downloaded and installed this update on November 27. The version I installed on that date includes the map unlock wizard (or maybe the map unlock wizard survived from the previous version, 6.11.5), and it recognized my Topo maps. The file I downloaded is 35.664 MB.

--Larry

I downloaded the update a few days ago and now the Unlock Map Wizard fails every time with a message telling me to download the latest version which of course I already have. It's very frustrating since I have a new 60 CXS which I need to get a code for. I have already written six or seven emails to GArmin and whilst they have replied to them all, I still don't have a 25 digit code. I of course have tried their online system and that's not working for me either.

Bazzer

As I mentioned in that other thread, I downloaded and installed this update on November 27. The version I installed on that date includes the map unlock wizard (or maybe the map unlock wizard survived from the previous version, 6.11.5), and it recognized my Topo maps. The file I downloaded is 35.664 MB.

--Larry

Color me confused. As I wrote in my previous message (above), I downloaded and installed MapSource 6.11.6 on November 27, and the installer took up 35.664 MB. I archive all my file downloads, so I still have a copy of that file. When I select "About MapSource..." from the Help menu, the version is indeed listed as 6.11.6. After installation, everything was as expected, including the map unlock wizard and access to Topo maps. I've been using 6.11.6 since that date without any problems.

A few minutes ago, I returned to the Garmin Web site and downloaded a fresh copy of MapSource 6.11.6 (at least that's what the Web page claimed). This time, the downloaded program weighed in at 44.800 MB. I have to wonder why Garmin released a version 6.11.6 on November 27, then replaced that executable with a significantly larger one on December 7 without changing the version number or at least telling us why this new copy replaced the older one?

My more important question is whether I should risk installing the December 7 package, given the possible bugs some users have reported. What the heck is this bigger(?) better(?) MapSource 6.11.6, anyway? :huh:

--Larry

My response from Garmin:

Subject: RE: MapSource update

They left out UnlockWizard. I think they're also working up an

UnlockWizard-only download. We've had a lot of problems now that

MapSource 6.11.6 no longer supports Windows 98/Me/NT. Users with those

OSes try to install a new product, which runs the UnlockWizard on their

CD. When it contacts the server, it is told it is out of date and they

need to upgrade it. At this point that means upgrading MapSource itself,

so they download that huge elephant and then it doesn't work on their

OS. I think they are also working on re-posting 6.11.5 as legacy

software.

I did have problems with the Nov. 27 version not recognizing my Topo maps, the Dec. 7 version works fine. I'm running XP with all the service packs, haven't even tried the UnlockWizard. They probably didn't change the version number because they didn't change the software, just how it was bundled for downloading.

My response from Garmin:

Subject: RE: MapSource update

They left out UnlockWizard. I think they're also working up an

UnlockWizard-only download. We've had a lot of problems now that

MapSource 6.11.6 no longer supports Windows 98/Me/NT. Users with those

OSes try to install a new product, which runs the UnlockWizard on their

CD. When it contacts the server, it is told it is out of date and they

need to upgrade it. At this point that means upgrading MapSource itself,

so they download that huge elephant and then it doesn't work on their

OS. I think they are also working on re-posting 6.11.5 as legacy

software.

I did have problems with the Nov. 27 version not recognizing my Topo maps, the Dec. 7 version works fine. I'm running XP with all the service packs, haven't even tried the UnlockWizard. They probably didn't change the version number because they didn't change the software, just how it was bundled for downloading.

If that's the case, what was missing in the November 27 package? The copy I installed didn't have any of the problems some others have reported.

--Larry

I downloaded the update a few days ago and now the Unlock Map Wizard fails every time with a message telling me to download the latest version which of course I already have. It's very frustrating since I have a new 60 CXS which I need to get a code for. I have already written six or seven emails to GArmin and whilst they have replied to them all, I still don't have a 25 digit code. I of course have tried their online system and that's not working for me either.

Bazzer

I had the same problem. I finally went to the Garmin website, and found a page where I could enter in the coupon number, and get my 25 digit code. Go to https://my.garmin.com/mygarmin/customers/myGarminHome.faces and create an account, if you haven't already. After logging in to the page listed above, you'll see links to register your products, and to unlock MapSource maps.

SAVE that code. You'll need it if you ever have to do a clean install of MapSource again. For any software discs that require some sort of unlock code, I make a P-Touch laminated label, and stick the code right on the disc. Pretty impossible to lose it that way.

Thanks,

I have already tried that, but it will not accept my reg code. I created a account with it a couple of years ago with a old email address etc which I no longer use. I know that I have not used the second code associted with this code. I have been in touch with Garmin, but several emails further on and still a no go. I suppose they will sort it out sooner or later!

Bazzer

Bazzer

I had the same problem. I finally went to the Garmin website, and found a page where I could enter in the coupon number, and get my 25 digit code. Go to https://my.garmin.com/mygarmin/customers/myGarminHome.faces and create an account, if you haven't already. After logging in to the page listed above, you'll see links to register your products, and to unlock MapSource maps.

SAVE that code. You'll need it if you ever have to do a clean install of MapSource again. For any software discs that require some sort of unlock code, I make a P-Touch laminated label, and stick the code right on the disc. Pretty impossible to lose it that way.

I downloaded and installed the Nov 27 version. It removed my topo maps and all my created maps. It also would no longer load maps to my GPS. No matter what, it would say there was not enough space on my card even if there was more than twice enough. I ended up having to completely uninstall all my garmin software and reinstalled it. What a mess. I hope the new version fixes the problems. I think I will wait for the next version before I upgrade.