Excuse ME? I thought the forums were for everyone!

saso792

I will start with a quote from another topic in the geocoin forums.

(insert unnamed cacher) ".... might be big in geocaching, but he was never involved in the forums community until he wanted to sell his coin. (Not that he's the only one who's done that -- there's been several). It's kind of like the 2nd cousin whose never gone to any family events, suddenly showing up at the reunion and trying to sell everyone time shares."

I don't know the person who said it, nor do I know the person(s) it was said about. I would like to have a clarification on who can and can not use the forums and for what purpose. I thought that anyone that is a paid member of geocaching.com and registered for the forums was welcome to use the forums for any purpose that fits within the guidelines for posting on the forums. If I'm wrong and you have to be a "clique member" of the "forums community", please point that out and I will go away for a very long time. If I'm not wrong and you see yourself with that "clique" attitude, then ..........

Please, anyone feel free to post a reply but please don't use cacher names or IDs in your post and I would ask that the moderator, if you have time, would remove any names or IDs posted. This is not a topic for me to bash anyone and I hope you don't use it that way either. It is an attempt to get everyone on the same page about what the forums are or aren't.

PS. I have my own :wub: Oh, and the reason I put this in the geocoin forum is that the quote was in this forum and it is about selling a geocoin.

Edited by saso792

Stiring the pot are we? Well let me help.

Round about the caldron go;

In the poison'd entrails throw.—

Toad, that under cold stone,

Days and nights has thirty-one;

Swelter'd venom sleeping got,

Boil thou first i' the charmed pot!

Double, double toil and trouble;

Fire burn, and caldron bubble.

Fillet of a fenny snake,

In the caldron boil and bake;

Eye of newt, and toe of frog,

Wool of bat, and tongue of dog,

Adder's fork, and blind-worm's sting,

Lizard's leg, and owlet's wing,—

For a charm of powerful trouble,

Like a hell-broth boil and bubble.

Scale of dragon; tooth of wolf;

Witches' mummy; maw and gulf

Of the ravin'd salt-sea shark;

Root of hemlock digg'd i the dark;

Liver of blaspheming Jew;

Gall of goat, and slips of yew

Sliver'd in the moon's eclipse;

Nose of Turk, and Tartar's lips;

Finger of birth-strangled babe

Ditch-deliver'd by a drab,—

Make the gruel thick and slab:

Add thereto a tiger's chaudron,

For the ingrediants of our caldron.

Cool it with a baboon's blood,

Then the charm is firm and good.

(Wipes head) There that should help. lol

I usually don't get involved in things like this, but I would like to say, having followed the whole drama, the above quote is taken way out of context in my opinion. The original quoted poster was trying to explain the negative reaction received by a poster, he was not trying to exclude anyone from the forums.

Of course all of the above is my take on it, yours and anyone else's perception may be completely different, and I am NOT commenting on the original drama that precipitated the above quote.

Why another thread for this?

There are already about 5 threads on this subject. We all know who both quotes belong to and what coin is being discussed. I'm not stating an opinion here, nor have I in any of the threads, but I'd like my latest threads list to not be crammed full of topics on this issue. Let's leave it alone and let it work itself out. Or better yet, let's get outside and find some caches!

Cheers,

Z

EDIT: prntr1 beat me to the punch. Well said!

Edited by ZSandmann

I read the quote also, don't remember where.

I have found this forum to be generally welcoming of newcomers. Of course, there are going to be disagreements, and things said that could be taken the wrong way. It is a pretty great place to find out about new coins, and to learn about the coin making process.

I usually don't get involved in things like this, but I would like to say, having followed the whole drama, the above quote is taken way out of context in my opinion. The original quoted poster was trying to explain the negative reaction received by a poster, he was not trying to exclude anyone from the forums.

Of course all of the above is my take on it, yours and anyone else's perception may be completely different, and I am NOT commenting on the original drama that precipitated the above quote.

I agree with you 100%. Perhaps the comments of the OP were because he hasn't been following the thread from the beginning and just jumped in near the end and, thus, made a comment based on a "localized" view/snapshot of the thread.

... perhaps?

I think you missed part of the conversation as well as part of the quote. :wub:

But regardless -- Of course everyone is welcome on the forums, and if you look around a bit, you will see many instances of newbies being welcomed with open arms. We were all newbies once.

And anyone can make & sell a geocoin. But when you post your coin on the forum and start receiving “less than favorable” responses don’t stomp out of the room in a huff, spouting off about how much you’ve given to the community. :D

Freedom of speech is a two way street. If cacher A makes a statement and cacher B expresses their opposing opinion, that doesn't mean that cacher C should jump in and say "quit picking on cacher A, and can't we all get along". It's not a conversation if only one side is allowed to talk. :)

Windrose

I would have to say that there definitely is a clique here in this geocoin forum, and different cliques exist in OT, General, etc. It is that way in most online forums - nothing out of the norm here.

While newbies are always welcome, I think there is some etiquette to follow such as introducing yourself to the group, learning the rules of posting, and becoming familiar with the leaders of the forum. Jumping in with your first post telling people how the cow ate the cabbage isn't going to win you any friends in any forum.

The charitable view of the comment is that forum veterans are familiar with the forum guidelines, and would know better than to cross-post a coin sale thread in multiple forums. The Geocoins Forum is the only place where trackable geocoins are allowed to be offered for sale. A newcomer to the forums might not know this. It is always good netiquette to read the guidelines for posting, prior to jumping in and starting threads.

I would like to have a clarification on who can and can not use the forums and for what purpose. I thought that anyone that is a paid member of geocaching.com and registered for the forums was welcome to use the forums for any purpose that fits within the guidelines for posting on the forums.

Actually all you have to be to use the forums is registered. You don't have to be a premium (paid) member.

Is this coin related? Seems a stretch that something was said by someone at sometime in the geocoin forum and now it is suddenly coin related?

On a personal note. I don't think I am with an "clicks" here at all, although I tend to agree with some more than others. That being said, I get tired of people coming in here and making their first post be nothing more than the release of a coin for sale at $12 a pop. They aren't here for the community or to participate in any other way than to make a buck off the people who make up this forum for the long term. If you don't agree with that, oh well. You don't have to. It is my opinion, not yours. You are entitled to yours, which may or may not differ from mine, but you are not entitled to require mine to be the same as yours like it is the only right one. I am permitted to respond and post mine as long as it is not an attack on the person itself.

Show your opinion by not buying their coin.

Forums are pubic places like parks... Don't like where your sitting, change benches.

Mike

Is this coin related? Seems a stretch that something was said by someone at sometime in the geocoin forum and now it is suddenly coin related?

On a personal note. I don't think I am with an "clicks" here at all, although I tend to agree with some more than others. That being said, I get tired of people coming in here and making their first post be nothing more than the release of a coin for sale at $12 a pop. They aren't here for the community or to participate in any other way than to make a buck off the people who make up this forum for the long term. If you don't agree with that, oh well. You don't have to. It is my opinion, not yours. You are entitled to yours, which may or may not differ from mine, but you are not entitled to require mine to be the same as yours like it is the only right one. I am permitted to respond and post mine as long as it is not an attack on the person itself.

They aren't here for the community or to participate in any other way than to make a buck off the people who make up this forum for the long term.

Totally agree.

This is not staying on topic so please don't post anymore replies and I will try to get it closed down.

Thanks. Please do.

I agree with this completely. But I choose to not be limited to just this as most sellers who like.

This place is a forum, a place for people to talk and discuss different issues and such. If a coin is released that is over priced or not caching related, then this is the place to express this concern or ask questions about it. What better place to find out about the coin and the maker than talking about it here with other who know. There is nothing wrong with this. Why people look at anything other than perfect praise as something negative, bad, or taboo is beyond me. People quickly forget there is a flip side of every coin and this is the place to talk about both sides of the coin, not just the one the seller wants you to see.

This is not staying on topic so please don't post anymore replies and I will try to get it closed down.

Was it really ever on topic to start? This forum ios about coins, not who can and can't post in the forums. this would be better suited for the General Topics, although I am not sure it will last there either.

*In before the lock!

Edited by pghlooking

Sounds like you're saying if you don't like the coin, just don't buy it ... don't post your opinion?

So, if that's the case, to be fair, if you DO like the coin you should only show support by buying the coin and not post any comments as well ....?

It is easy to talk behind a computer where you are not face to face

Like so many others, you ask a question and do not like the responses you have gotten so you wish to take your ball and go home, or in this case have a MOD lock the thread. Try discussing the topic at hand and the very on topic responses I have made. You have addressed nothing of substance that I have said. Does this mean you have nothing to say other than to try to blame "clicks" and hurl shots at myself?

I find it the same to talk behind a computer as it is to talk face to face. The reason for this is I say what I mean and mean what I say. I don't change my opinion or words based on the peope around me or the people who might read what I say.

Yep Saso...really makes you lose respect for those that just try to bend the conversaztions to meet their needs...the same has happened over on another thread. One thing is said that someone THINKS they don't like and they seize the whole thread and the next thing you know, YOU'RE the bad guy!!

Forums are pretty useless if all that happens is the rest jump in and bash those that they don't want to hear from.

Since the topic WAS about who can and cannot post to the forums, I see this ON topic. It may be in the wrong place, but then...I guess the rest found it ok!!

Nope a forum is a public place like a park, talk away is what I am saying. If don't like what your hearing, feel free to get up and change benches.

Mike

Sounds like you're saying if you don't like the coin, just don't buy it ... don't post your opinion?

So, if that's the case, to be fair, if you DO like the coin you should only show support by buying the coin and not post any comments as well ....?

Edited by altigenman

After reading a few of those comments again...I want to make some things clear.

There aren't any real guidelines that I have seen that state anywhere about what these forums are for. The only difference from one thread to another is the topic titles. When I started posting, I had my coin put up for all to see and stated the price (actually, the minter posted the original thread because I didn't know anything about the topics and how they work).

I see this done time and again, so and so is offering this coin, who would want this one etc... If a newbie were to bring up these forums, they'll see just that and assume (as did I and probably the person in question) that that's what these forums are for Announcing a coin, selling a coin or trading a coin!

By some of your own comments, you make it out that this ISN'T what this forums is for, and that the OP was in the wrong for NOT knowing this! Yet, you say that the forums ARE open to all...I don't understand this at all!! Where was the wrong made??? Someone wanted more than what others thought the item was worth, so you shoot that person down in a ball of flames which causes the person to quit caching altogether???

I'm not sure that is much help to your cause then...if a newbie comes in and says the wrong thing, you shoo them away, do you really think they came away with a good feeling about the process?? Do you really think that you are helping the sales of future coins?? The only people that'll be left are the seasoned vets that want to keep things all nice and tidy! WOW...you won...but what is the prize??? A place to talk with all the other "heros"???

The best way to make friends would be to BE NICE!!! Yes CAN'T WE ALL GET ALONG???

You say this is a public place and if we don't like it move to another bench...I did and you followed me there. I said something about why someone would want an overpriced coin (making a comparisson to another iconic cacher) and now I'm being harrassed because I had the gall to bring up someone else??? There wasn't any bashing involved at all, but there was from the others toward me!!

I don't get this...it does seem that there is a "member's only" section here...and you seasoned vets are the members with the say! Anyone that says anything you don't like, you all flock in and overtake the thread like we've done something wrong. If this were truly public you'd understand that we have things to say to...and if you don't agree with the comments maybe you should just do what I was doing...leave that thread alone and go to a thread that you have something constructive to add!! NOPE...you would rather jump in and spew your comments and then tell us to leave if we don't like it!!

This thread seems to be all over the map... :wub:

We posted a coin for sale (can't recall now which one it was...maybe one of WB's?) and initially we had two replies to our thread and about 150 online orders in a couple of days. Responses online were basically absent, but people showed their support with their purchases. Kinda took us by surprise when after stuffing envelopes for days we went to check the forums for any questions or comments and it was almost blank. :)

Peace and goodwill, to all newbies and oldies, now and always.

Helen

Was it really ever on topic to start?

*In before the lock!

It is easy to talk behind a computer where you are not face to face

Kinda cool isn't it? I would think you should think so, since you have enjoyed that same benefit.