Comprehensive List of Dead Horses

SG-MIN

"It's cruel to leave live hamsters in caches."

I hate that topic. It starts with the assumption that leaving hamsters in caches is inherently cruel.

I love that topic. It's my favorite of all time. And to go off on tangents -

-- Hamsters are food (for some) - no food allowed in caches

-- Best way to keep the Hamster from escaping when you open the cache (i.e. duct tape or staples)

hamukuruma0.gif

Windrose

To be serious now, no topics are dead horses for people who are new to this board. Its usually why they come up again and again. For those who are tired of them, nobody is forcing you to read them or respond.

Yeah but, once a "newbie" hauls the dead horse out, it's all the "oldbies" who jump on and start beating it. Don't get me wrong, I love watching a good dead horse beating. It's one of the most entertaining parts of the forums. Especially since people get so emotional about the subject.

Windrose

(edited for grammar)

Edited by Windrose
To be serious now, no topics are dead horses for people who are new to this board. Its usually why they come up again and again. For those who are tired of them, nobody is forcing you to read them or respond.
But utilizing the search function would make a newbie aware of our rotting equine carcasses.

I would suggest we add "search function" to our list, but I can't think of anyone who is argues against it.

But utilizing the search function would make a newbie aware of our rotting equine carcasses.

I would suggest we add "search function" to our list, but I can't think of anyone who is argues against it.

True, but there is the closely related dead horse: do you bump an old thread once you find it with the search engine, or start a new thread with a link back to the old one.

You can get your entire Minimum Daily Requirement of Vitriol when someone bumps a three-year old thread to add their two cents, without signalling the fact that it's an old thread.

And if they bring up the old topic to comment on it, they get bashed for unearthing an old dead horse.

Yeah but, once a "newbie" hauls the dead horse out, it's all the "oldbies" who jump on and start beating it.

So if a newb brings up an old topic, only other newbs should be allowed to comment on it and veteran geocachers with years of collective experience should remain silent?

So if a newb brings up an old topic, only other newbs should be allowed to comment on it and veteran geocachers with years of collective experience should remain silent?

Not at all. I was just commenting that it's the veteran cachers who do the beating. I agree with you that there are no dead horses to newbies (or at least they - being new - don't realize the horse is dead). Sorry if I offended. It was all in fun, didn't mean to ruffle any feathers or fur, or twist any panties.

Windrose

True, but there is the closely related dead horse: do you bump an old thread once you find it with the search engine, or start a new thread with a link back to the old one.

You can get your entire Minimum Daily Requirement of Vitriol when someone bumps a three-year old thread to add their two cents, without signalling the fact that it's an old thread.

Linking the old one runs the risk of someone reading that old thread and adding a comment to it. Then you have two, active dead horses.

As a related though, what about people who neither use the search function or actually look on the first page of topics to see if someone is currently discussing the issue?

Being newer to this wonderful fun recreatoinal activity, I have tried to use the search funtion and have had awful luck. I have tried to search several topics and ended up with error notices or do not find. So I go reading page after page to find my answer. This I do not have time to do many time's so it is easyer to just post what I want to know. Sorry, but the search key is broken for me for some reason. Nothing I have searched for can be found. I even tried looking for a topic I saw on and came up with an error. Has anyone else had this problem? I also agree for us new people "Dead Horses" are quiet alive.

Two or three more topics to add, and I apologize in advance if someone has already mentioned anyer of these alrady; I did not see them in my scan of the thread:

People not taking the time to read the whole thread before posting a comment. Good one.

Hey, give him a break. My post about premium members was a whole 2 posts above his. That is an honest mistake.

Two or three more topics to add, and I apologize in advance if someone has already mentioned anyer of these alrady; I did not see them in my scan of the thread:

People not taking the time to read the whole thread before posting a comment. Good one.

Hey, give him a break. My post about premium members was a whole 2 posts above his. That is an honest mistake.

QUOTE(nonaeroterraqueous @ Dec 10 2006, 10:15 AM)

QUOTE(Vinny & Sue Team @ Dec 10 2006, 07:59 AM)

--------------------

People doing MAJOR quotes that are NOT necessary