geocoin and travel bugs theft wonderment

fairyhoney

:laughing: I may be a little gullible, but I don't understand why people would want to steal somebody else's geocoin. After all, they've activated all ready. So I don't think they could sell them on E-bay or anything like that. I do know that people DO steal geocoins and even travel bugs (now that doesn't even make sense). Now, talk about Travel bugs...Sure, there are some cool looking ones out there but Why are THEY stolen????

Why?

They look cool.

They are fun to collect.

As a souvenir.

Because your kid grabs it and pockets it.

Because your kid wants it and you want to please them.

Because you don't understand the monetary value of the object.

Because you don't understand the emotional value of the object.

Because you want it.

Coming from someone who has had several travel bugs stolen, I think if we ever found any of these people stealing them, we should cut their hand off. Do that they won't steal more than two :huh:

Oh and just for the record, yes I am serious.

My Grandma (may she RIP) always told me there is nothing worse in this world than a thief.

Edited by rusty_da_dog

Why?

They look cool.

They are fun to collect.

As a souvenir.

Because your kid grabs it and pockets it.

Because your kid wants it and you want to please them.

Because you don't understand the monetary value of the object.

Because you don't understand the emotional value of the object.

Because you want it.

Any of this makes it OK to steal? :huh:

Due to the fact that some people simply can't respect other people.

That's it exactly.

It's not a sign of the 'decay of the American ethic'. There have always been people like this, American or otherwise. And it does not make it okay, it's just a fact.

The root of the lack of respect is mainly either greed or laziness (aka ignorance and want)

but most of all beware ignorance.

The root of the lack of respect is mainly either greed or laziness (aka ignorance and want)

but most of all beware ignorance.

I'll put a heavy bet on stupidity, with brass-balled gall high on the list, as well. True, a lot of travellers vanish because the finder just does not realize what the thing is, Of course, keeping a gewgaw with a metal tag on it that tells part of the story is pretty lame, no matter how you look at it, which brings me back to stupidity. Most travelers (80%? I don't think that this number is too far off) vanish because the finders are too stupid to be out on their own. Ignorance can be corrected, but stupidity tends to incurable, unfortunately. Most of other 20% of vanished travellers disappear because the finder is just a jerk, or a thief. A small number get muggled or are in caches that suffer natural or man-made disaster: fire, flood, etc.

Coming from someone who has had several travel bugs stolen, I think if we ever found any of these people stealing them, we should cut their hand off. Do that they won't steal more than two <_<

Oh and just for the record, yes I am serious.

Threats and discussions of violence will not be tolerated on these boards.

And yes, I am serious.

Why people will steal coins and TBs is and will likely always continue to be a mystery.

I've actually talked to a couple of fellow geocachers about this very subject (haven't we all)...one admits to having 6 or 7 TB at home...his excuse is pure laziness...he threw one in the back of the car and didn't find it for months...another he brought home to "fix"...a couple of others his kids were playing with...I don't think my expression of horror and distain did much good...and it probably didn't help too much when I called him a $*!%* jerk with no respect for the game <_<

The other former friend is a geocoin "thief"...his answer was..."I can't afford to buy these, and if I find them in a cache, they're mine...if you don't want them stolen, you shouldn't put them out." This guy left my house rather rapidly when my 130lb lab began growling..and I explained that yes, the dog did obey my commands...

Just two cruddy people who illustrate the points made in some of the other posts...the normal bell-shaped curve says that 10% of any population is extremely good, while another 10% is extremely bad...guess that means geocachers too.

Edited by Team OleOmi

I've actually talked to a couple of fellow geocachers about this very subject (haven't we all)...one admits to having 6 or 7 TB at home...his excuse is pure laziness...he threw one in the back of the car and didn't find it for months...another he brought home to "fix"...a couple of others his kids were playing with...I don't think my expression of horror and distain did much good...and it probably didn't help too much when I called him a $*!%* jerk with no respect for the game :rolleyes:

The other former friend is a geocoin "thief"...his answer was..."I can't afford to buy these, and if I find them in a cache, they're mine...if you don't want them stolen, you shouldn't put them out." This guy left my house rather rapidly when my 130lb lab began growling..and I explained that yes, the dog did obey my commands...

Just two cruddy people who illustrate the points made in some of the other posts...the normal bell-shaped curve says that 10% of any population is extremely good, while another 10% is extremely bad...guess that means geocachers too.

Both examples of what I was referring to. No- it doesn't make it right, but illustrates that not all *thiefs* are crazed meth addicts attempting to make a profit, many are likely cachers that we cross paths with who have their own justifications for their actions, and in their eyes do not see themselves as you do.

The bettter one understands the problem, the more likely one can come up with a solution. Like the clear mission marked on the coin (either by drilling a hole, or placing securely in a holder with a laminated mission included, as opposed to just dropping it in a cache trusting that others will look up the mission and assist), making sure you also put goodies in caches so kids have items to grab too.... others I'm sure can come up with other suggestions. Much more productive.

I've actually talked to a couple of fellow geocachers about this very subject (haven't we all)...one admits to having 6 or 7 TB at home...his excuse is pure laziness...he threw one in the back of the car and didn't find it for months...another he brought home to "fix"...a couple of others his kids were playing with...I don't think my expression of horror and distain did much good...and it probably didn't help too much when I called him a $*!%* jerk with no respect for the game :rolleyes:

Both examples of what I was referring to. No- it doesn't make it right, but illustrates that not all *thiefs* are crazed meth addicts attempting to make a profit, many are likely cachers that we cross paths with who have their own justifications for their actions, and in their eyes do not see themselves as you do.

The bettter one understands the problem, the more likely one can come up with a solution. Like the clear mission marked on the coin (either by drilling a hole, or placing securely in a holder with a laminated mission included, as opposed to just dropping it in a cache trusting that others will look up the mission and assist), making sure you also put goodies in caches so kids have items to grab too.... others I'm sure can come up with other suggestions. Much more productive.

OOPS!Messed up the post,lets try again.

Just curious,How did such lowlifes gain your trust enough to enter your home?