How does Foretrex 101 stack up?

ATHF

I've had a foretrex 101 for over 2 years. I love it.

I bought a Legend about a year ago for the ability to load topo maps, but I still end up using the foretrex more often. I find it easier to use when i'm out geocaching, Waymarking, and so on, as it frees up my hands for other things.

Even with it wristworn and walking naturally, it holds signal well. The legend is a little less forgiving. Maybe it's my particular units, but I find my foretrex holds satellite lock better than the legend. The foretrex also seems to be a little better in accuracy.

The backlight is a bright orange on the foretrex. The legend has a white backlight, but is very dim in comparison. The foretrex has a black/white display, whereas the legend is greyscale.

I have one and it's great for what it was made for- hiking, walking, and anything where you don't need a map. I also have a Magellan 210, which has a darn good receiver, and the 101 is comparable under many conditions. IMO, the 210 is better under difficult conditions, but the 101 is no slouch. The 101 display is a bit easier to read and better set up for many things. Accuracy is similar, more dependent on available birds, than on the units themselves. The 101 uses a pair of AAA batteries, and I get a couple weeks out of a set of akalines for my morning walks. IMO, rechargables don't have sufficient capacity in the smaller sizes to be worth bothering with, though if you use it a lot and carry a spare set, they'll save you a few bucks. The wrist strap and extension for the 101 can be difficult to adjust for any practical size- it's too short without the extension, but too long with. I just carry the thing in a jacket pocket.

It's the only GPS I will backpack with. It is the lightest there is, and I love it. I have access to any model Garmin makes for my backpacking trip (I sell them all...Magellan too) but I won't take anything but the foretrex 101. I have removed the wrist strap for even less weight. I attach it to my pack strap with a piece of Velcro.

It's the only GPS I will backpack with. It is the lightest there is, and I love it. I have access to any model Garmin makes for my backpacking trip (I sell them all...Magellan too) but I won't take anything but the foretrex 101. I have removed the wrist strap for even less weight. I attach it to my pack strap with a piece of Velcro.

thanks for the response

how would te foretrex compare to the standard garmin 60?

http://www.gpsnow.com/gm60.htm

They seem to be very similar as far as features, but would the foretrex get as good a signal?

I bought my father a foretrex, but just recently he mentioned he wanted a 60. I now have to debate returning the foretrex and grabbing a 60 or if the foretrex is comprable I will keep it.

What do you guys think?