Front Page Searching

traildad

Hello; I am new to the Geocaching web site and I wanted to relate my experience as a newbie. I don't mean this to be a complaint but rather feedback with the hope it will be helpful. I realize that the issue I will be describing was mostly caused by my own deficiencies but...

When I first found the website I used the zip code search on the front page and got 5075 caches over 254 pages for my hometown. This was kind of information overload and kept me from investigating further until I felt I had more time to get involved. I was using my GPSr for riding my ATV and was looking forward to doing some Geocaching. A year and a half later I decided to do it for real. I was taking a trip and wanted to look for a cache. I searched the zip code nearest to where I was going and got 1591 caches over 80 pages. This was too much to deal with at the time so I missed out on a cache that was very near to where I stayed. I saw there was a link for advanced searching but since I was completely new I felt it was not what I wanted.

I understand that when the site was launched in 2000 there were 75 known caches in the world. At that time a zip code search would be fine since you had to search a large area just to find one cache. With a 100 mile default search radius you might be lucky to find a cache. Now to search for a cache I enter coordinates and limit the radius to 5 miles to keep the results down to a manageable size. This way I get maybe only 150 caches on 8 pages.

To keep this from getting even longer I would like to suggest that the proliferation of caches is dictating the need to reduce the search results at least for the front page. To a newbie it seemed like it might be necessary to look through hundreds of listings to find what you want. Just my two cents, Thanks Ken <_<

Um.... You did notice that the list was sorted by distance, didn't you? And paginated? You don't have to view every cache listed, just get the closest ones, or whatever. Or, you can click on the Advanced Search link, and refine your search by using filters, or selections. What you are suggesting is that the site do the filtering for you, based on some unknown attribute. IMO, the seeker should be able to specify what criteria to use for limiting the search, as is the case now. If you're overwhelmed, just use the first page, which gives the closest caches to the imaginary location chosen for the center of the zip code. You can also specify the center location - your home, or anyplace else.

Um.... You did notice that the list was sorted by distance, didn't you? And paginated? You don't have to view every cache listed, just get the closest ones, or whatever. Or, you can click on the Advanced Search link, and refine your search by using filters, or selections. What you are suggesting is that the site do the filtering for you, based on some unknown attribute. IMO, the seeker should be able to specify what criteria to use for limiting the search, as is the case now. If you're overwhelmed, just use the first page, which gives the closest caches to the imaginary location chosen for the center of the zip code. You can also specify the center location - your home, or anyplace else.

Ok Ok I'm not trying to gore your sacred cow! :huh:

You did notice that I was referring to my first experiences with the web site. The first time I was not a member so there were no home coordinates. The second time I was a member but home coordinates would not help with a zip code search in another town. B) Please keep in mind I am relating what my experience as someone completely new to the site was. This was the front page where someone checking out the whole Geocache.com thing might be looking. I am fine with how things work now that I have gotten at least part of the way around the block. I kind of wish that the overwhelming results had not kept me from getting started sooner.

I think if you reread my post you might retract some of your comments. <_<

Edited for spelling.

Edited by traildad

I kind of wish that the overwhelming results had not kept me from getting started sooner.

Hmm... Do you think it would be beneficial to do a newbie search feature?

1. Just Traditional Caches

2. Level 1 Terrain and difficulty

So on the results it could say...

New to geocaching and overwhelmed? Try the newbie search...

I kind of wish that the overwhelming results had not kept me from getting started sooner.

Hmm... Do you think it would be beneficial to do a newbie search feature?

1. Just Traditional Caches

2. Level 1 Terrain and difficulty

So on the results it could say...

New to geocaching and overwhelmed? Try the newbie search...

Yes that might be good. Maybe just more info in the front page search box. If I had known I could do a search by coordinates I would have used that. When I saw the link to advanced search I imagined something complicated. Maybe just adding a search by coordinates to the front page. Maybe just limiting the newbie search to a small radius. Thanks Ken

Maybe just adding a search by coordinates to the front page. Maybe just limiting the newbie search to a small radius. Thanks Ken

I thought the search results were overwhelming. I see perhaps showing other options of searching on the results page if, say, the user chooses to use zipcode instead of coordinate. However showing a coordinate search on the front page will probably be even more overwhelming to most folks than the results are.

It ain't my sacred cow, it's Jeremy's cash cow. If you're so overwhelmed with the page that you give up, then I think you're going to be overwhelmed by most of the internet, and geocaching in general. Geocaching isn't rocket science, nor is finding the caches on geocaching.com. However, I'm sure Jeremy will work to try to simplify things, since that's how he makes his living. Good luck with your caching.

Perhaps if you could enter the distance for the search. In fact, this would come in mighty handy for the 'newest' search, which currently returns all caches in each state.

I would love to have a listing showing only the "newest" caches close to my coordinate. It would also be nice to list only the Premium member caches in my area.

I would love to have a listing showing only the "newest" caches close to my coordinate. It would also be nice to list only the Premium member caches in my area.

Both of these are easily doable with PQ's. Remember, PQ's aren't just for getting bulk data. They are good for advanced filters as well. I have a handful of PQ's similar to these and use them when I'm looking for caches.

One option is to only show caches hidden in the last 7 days, another is the last month. You can also filter on just premium caches.

Don't schedule them to run (unless you want to), but click on the link on the far left, you'll get the results of the filter just like any other cache listing.