Garmin 60csx's not the same

GRNZOOM

My bro-in-law and I both have Garmin 60csx's that were purchased a shot time ago.

His is more accurate than mine.

I will be 20+ feet from a cache and he will be within a couple of feet. The Garmin's black arrow will bounce around while his holds steady while standing or walking.

Could there be something wrong with my Garmin?

Before I call Garmin support, I though you folks a crack at my problem.

Thanks...

Nick

My bro-in-law and I both have Garmin 60csx's that were purchased a shot time ago.

I will be 20+ feet from a cache and he will be within a couple of feet. The Garmin's black arrow will bounce around while his holds steady while standing or walking.

Thanks...

Nick

I would check to see if you both have the same firmware. Go ~ (menu->setup->system->Menu->Software Version), to check what you're running. You should/could see Software Version 3.00 and GPS SW Version 2.90. If not, keep reading.

As Garmin continues to improve its firmware, they are really good about offering updates. Use the Web Updater - http://www.garmin.com/products/webupdater/. This will load an app that will keep you current with any updates.

Hope this helps.

Thanks...

Nick

I would check to see if you both have the same firmware. Go ~ (menu->setup->system->Menu->Software Version), to check what you're running. You should/could see Software Version 3.00 and GPS SW Version 2.90. If not, keep reading.

As Garmin continues to improve its firmware, they are really good about offering updates. Use the Web Updater - http://www.garmin.com/products/webupdater/. This will load an app that will keep you current with any updates.

Hope this helps.

Thanks-a-lot !!!

V 3.00 was already installed.

I now have 2.90.

Is this a great forum or what... <_<

Nick

When you have the latest firmware installed why don't you and your brotherinlaw go to this adjusted benchmark DZ3916 and see how the 2 gpsr compare.

The other thing I would do is set the units side by side and go through all the settings to make sure they are the same. There are many options, and one of several could be causing your problems (datum setting and power saving mode come to mind, but there could be other subtle settings that are messing you up.

The Garmin's black arrow will bounce around while his holds steady while standing or walking.

That sounds like one of you has the compass turned on and one has it turned off (you can press and hold the "page" key to toggle it on and off).

Also, nobody has mentioned yet that just because they're the same unit, doesn't mean they're going to point you to the exact same spot. There's that whole accuracy thing that could account for one pointing 20 feet away from where the other one is pointing.

Edited by ThePropers

Thanks...

Nick

Hope this helps.

What the... :wub: I thought I had signed up for the Garmin "Let me know when the software/firmware was updated". I still had 2.70 on my 60csx. Reading this post, I quickly went back to the Garmin website, selected the 60csx GPS information, and downloaded the latest and greatest, 2.90. Plus I signed up again for the notifyer feature. I won't trust that again, though. I'll make it a habit to check every month for updates.

What the... :wub: I thought I had signed up for the Garmin "Let me know when the software/firmware was updated". I still had 2.70 on my 60csx. Reading this post, I quickly went back to the Garmin website, selected the 60csx GPS information, and downloaded the latest and greatest, 2.90. Plus I signed up again for the notifyer feature. I won't trust that again, though. I'll make it a habit to check every month for updates.

Ya. I used to get email updates, but that stopped about six months ago. I usually see a thread on this forum that suggests there's a new version available. Hopefully someone from Garmin reads our forum. :)

I will be 20+ feet from a cache and he will be within a couple of feet.

Because one GPS is closer to the cache than another doesn't mean it's more accurate. In fact, it could be the opposite. Caches aren't set with any more precision than a consumer GPS. Checking your accuracy with caches isn't a good technique.

Jamie

Edited by Jamie Z

Also make sure under SETUP/MARINE that the Speed filter is set to auto. If it isn't, your unit won't know when it's stopped and the compass will jump around when standing still. It will also record distance while your unit is standing still if the SPEED FILTER is not set to auto

I don't find a Speed Filter on my 60CSx. On my screen I have an Anchor Drag Alarm, Off Course, Deep Water and Shallow Water Alarms. There are check boxes to the left. All of mine are not checked. Should they be checked?

Maybe you got a bum antenna like my 60Cx.

My unit doesn't get better than 20 foot accuracy and about 7 satellite locks with half bars each. Even standing out in an open field.

As soon as I plug the cheap little Gilsson antenna in it reports 9 foot accuracy and has 11 sat locks with almost all full bars.

Knowing that, I can only assume that the fixt antenna isn't performing as well as others.