Time to refeed the meter

Windsocker

It seemed fine yesterday morning but when I tried to look last night it had gone down. It's still not up and running yet. Here is a statement posted by Jeremy in the Geocaching Announcements forum that may shed some light on whats going on:-

"Looks like my original post was snipped...

We released a patch today to help address the recent issues to the site. There have been some weird occurences that have been hard to track down so we're doing our best to find the source of the problem.

In the meantime I wanted to let you know that we have been working with an outside consulting firm to look over the code and database for the web site. Our goal for 2007 is to make the geocaching.com web site incredibly scalable so we can, if we need to, easily ramp up to 5 times the traffic we are receiving now. We'll be making the changes with smaller milestones throughout the year - first to benefit the existing traffic in the near term and stages of patches to ultimately rebuild the back-end. This will ultimately convert the pesky hobby code that has been plaguing sections of the site.

We appreciate your patience while we make these changes. Thanks to the premium members and other forms of financial support we are able to take these next steps to achieve the ultimate goal - to let me and the other developers have a night off for pizza every once in a while."

And this one was posted a couple of months ago:-

"Well, it seems that the dreaded Server Too Busy error has reared his ugly head. It's one of those beasts that, like a bad horror movie, seems to jump up again right when the heroine of the tale is sure that it is finally dead.

Unfortunately it's also one of those issues that has been hard to sort out. We believe it may have to do with how memory for the web servers are handling cache data, but nothing has been proven. Ultimately we tweaked the server several times today which has been causing additional delay times, but it seems to be up and fine now.

We'll continue to monitor the site over the next few days and see what else we can do to alleviate the issue. Thanks for your patience during this process."

It is frustrating when this happens, and it seems to be happening more often these days...

I for one wouldn't mind paying a slightly higher membership charge to pay for running the site - £15 per year for membership is peanuts really, especially given the time spent doing it! I would be more than happy to ramp it up to £20 or perhaps even higher...

<_< And shame on those of you who haven't paid your membership!! Given that the site is run by volunteers and our fees pay for the hosting etc, membership should really be compulsory.

Semi-rant over :huh: - looking forward to the site being up again.

ZL

<_< And shame on those of you who haven't paid your membership!! Given that the site is run by volunteers and our fees pay for the hosting etc, membership should really be compulsory.

A request here - If anyone wants to discuss this hot topic yet again could they please start a new thread rather than argue it here.

Cor blimey - monster posting/rant from me on the other page... sorry Lactodorum.

Do you remember before mobile phones? Remember how naked you feel without your mobile now?

I feel completely at a loss when the website is down.... isn't that a little worrying! I don't know what to do with myself!

Server Error in '/' Application.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Server Too Busy

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: Server Too Busy

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[HttpException (0x80004005): Server Too Busy]

System.Web.HttpRuntime.RejectRequestInternal(HttpWorkerRequest wr) +148

Maybe Santa will bring them a set of new, bigger, faster servers with some code that will cope with the volume of traffic.

Edited by CrazyL200