Announcing Tommy Trojan & Helen of Troy - Leaving

Tommy Trojan

On January 1st 2007, after 3 years of serving hundreds of WONDERFUL children, families and new cachers, we have decided to leave geocaching.

We are offering a souvenir in token of our services ... if anyone is interested.

<link removed by moderator>

THANK YOU everyone for all that you've done for us!!

Tommy + Helen = 42 - FIGHT ON!

Edited by Eartha

Not sure why you needed another geocoin thread in a non-geocoin forum, but hey, I'll take any TB's you are looking to dump.

I sure in heck ain't gonna pay you for them but they will definately be well taken care of. :huh:

Edit: Heck, I'll even take just the ones out to an unknown location. Just think of all those Tbs sitting on the Island of Lost Toys. <_<

Edited by BlueDeuce

On January 1st 2007, after 3 years of serving hundreds of WONDERFUL children, families and new cachers, we have decided to leave geocaching.

We are offering a souvenir in token of our services ... if anyone is interested.

Edited by Eartha

B):huh:B):PB)B)<_<:P I am really going to miss you guys, In my short Geocaching experience (15 months) I have come across many of your cool travel bugs and coins, I wish you the best Tommy and Helen, Happy Holidays from my house to yours, Jack

Edited by Eartha

First,,,this is a TB thread. Second...Tommy, Helen and the TT crew, I realize you have your mind made up in this decision. The cache world is losing one of the greats...and it's all because of a few jerks that can't leave well enough alone!!

I'll bet that the very ones that cause the problems will LINE up to adopt your TBs too!! Help like that is needed like a hole in the head! All I can say to those "cachers" is Thanks for ruining such a good thing!! None of those guys will contribute near as much to the cache world as you have...and not many will have enough common sense to even realize it!!

It's truly a sad day for caching, I had really hoped to make it out to CA and find one of those GREAT TT caches, and now I will have no TBs to look for when out hunting them...all the TT TBs will be gone!

TRULY A SAD DAY!! If you need anything, you know where I am, drop me a line any time!! I will miss you and I wish you luck!!

FIGHT ON!!!!!!

C-YA

Don't let the door hit ya,

Where the good Lord split ya.

I suppose the same could be said for all you that have brought this on!

I may not have been caching long, but let me tell you a bit about my experience with Tommy, Helen and the TT crew.

When I started, I knew nothing about TBs, I knew very little about caching at all!! One of my first TBs was a Tommy Trojan TB..when I found it, I read the description, which was a nice little story of how that particular TB was adventurous and would appreciate any adventure stories or pics. I made up a little story about how we (the TB and I) had some great fun and posted a few pics. Tommy writes me back THANKING me for helping his TB along!! I am now on the Top 50 TB mover's list, and I'll tell you this...Not another cacher out there has EVER thanked me for helping one of their TBs along, or have I found sooo many TBs from one cacher!! Not a single cacher has taken the time to write me and let me know that they appreciate ME for something I should be thanking them for!!

Yes...Tommy sent out some tough messages for those who couldn't follow his "rules", if you had all those TBs running about, I'd think you'd want to minimize the losses too since Tommy replaced EVERY ONE that came up missing. And is it sooo hard to NOT place his TBs in an event or multi??? NOPE....you'd rather go out and muggle his caches (strange that the very people these are placed for muggled them...takes a lot of brains for that), or bash him in the forums for placing rules or asking a steep price for his coin.

What really ticks me off the most is the way everyone BASHED this great cache team for GIVING so tirelessly and graciously to the cache community. Yes, he was selling his coin for MUCH more than most. The fact that hundreds were sold tells me that, even with the high price, cachers wanted them! WHY...about the same reason I wanted a CCCooper coin (until I wised up to her). This guy was placing 1000 coins out for everyone else to enjoy...you give to charity yet you wouldn't pay a bit more than normal for a good cause (one that helps EVERY cacher...more coins out, more for everyone to enjoy)??? Also...that's 600+ TBs LESS out there to find!!

While some of you will see the loss of Tommy as a good thing, keep in mind his HUGE contributions!! I doubt that there are many out there that hide caches which cost $100+ EACH, I doubt there are many TB parents out there that CARE sooo much about their travelers.

Yes, you cachers who have been wronged by this great guy got your wish...GREAT! I'm glad you feel so vindicated...I just hope you have enough brains to figure out what a HUGE loss this is!! I doubt it though...you'll just find someone else to bash!! What a grown up community we have here!!!

Moderator, sorry if I may have overstepped the line here, but I have seen all those who overstepped while on the BASH ATTACK, so I just had to add my two cents!

I'm cornfused, what exactly is the topic of this thread?

Selling your coins before you leave in a huff?

Allowing me to adopt a bunch of TBs? (Hint, hint)

Bashing the OP?

Bashing the bashers of the OP?

If we ain't gonna talk Tbs, put this thread out of it's misey. Please.

My point being, there are all kinds of people from all walks of life that play this game we call "Geocaching." We all play the game in a different way. Some like micros under lamp post skirts and others like ammo cans on top of 14,000' peaks. Some trade up, some trade down, some don't trade at all. Just sign the log and on to the next cache. Some cache by foot, by bike, by boat, with 4x4 Jeeps, some with SCUBA gear.

Hell some of us even like Virtuals and Locationless.

Once you place a cache or release a TB into the wild, blue yonder, all bets are off as to what becomes of said item. Let 'em run their course.

If Mr. and Mrs. Trojan have decided to close shop and get the heck outta Dodge. Thats THEIR decision. They obviuosly feel that something else in their life has a higher priority than Geocaching.

So instead I should say "Vaya con Dios"

C-YA

I suppose the same could be said for all you that have brought this on!

I think its pretty silly to say that. Every action causes 'ripples', if you do something that causes lots of ripples then need to deside if want to stop this action and stop the ripples, or is the action worthwhile enough for you to continue.

Every coin thats sold gets all kinds of questions asked about it, including money/profit related ones. Thinking noone will ask is funny IMO. Complaining about and/or reporting to Groundspeak (or whatever else TT did about rule breakers) about those that did take the TB/coins to events are going to have the same ripple effect. It'd be nice if everyone was adult and dealt with reprimand without stealing things or damaging things, but in geocacher as in the real world some people are prone to tantrums, that is how it is. I also think deciding to quit over such things is stupid (if that is the reason?), but it is TT choice to stay or go.

Anybody want to talk travel bugs?

I recently found out one of my travelers (a geocoin actually) no longer has the number on it. It seems someone scratched off the number :laughing: I'm guessing maybe someone was trying to peel the clear coat off in hopes they'd be able to see the teeny tiny lettering... least I hope that was the problem and some boob isn't just rubbing numbers off on purpose :D

Still waiting to see if the person that has it will ship it back to me for repair or not :D .

Remarks like this one will not be tolerated. Either you all discuss the topic of the thread, or you don't post. This type of attitude is unacceptable. Is it any wonder Tommy & Helen feel this way? I for one think it's sad that people would be driven from such an enjoyable past-time when the whole sport of geocaching doesn't even really require these forums. They are not really one and the same. These forums are just an extra feature for us to share our experiences, but we can all go caching without ever entering the forums. I for one hope Tommy & Helen will rethink how they are going about their geocaching retirement. They really don't need to stop the best part of it, because a few bad apples in here. Now keep this thread on topic, or I'll be passing out more warnings and time offs.

Eartha

C-YA

Moderator, sorry if I may have overstepped the line here, but I have seen all those who overstepped while on the BASH ATTACK, so I just had to add my two cents!

I don't know Tommy Trojan & Helen of Troy, so I won't say anything about them as people. I wish them well. My only on-topic observation is that it struck me as "tacky" to combine a geo-retirement with a going out of business sale posted to multiple forums.

I do know CCCooperAgency. And once I read your veiled attack, I lost all respect for the point you were trying to make. You are engaging in the same behavior to which you're taking offense. Apologizing to the moderator is no excuse.

Nothing veiled there, I simply said that I once held CCCooper in high regards and do not any more....I once thought of her as THE top gun, and do not any more. Hey...I even offered CC a spot in my camp at the '06 Geobash. I didn't state ANY vile or bashing comments there at all, and I apologized for any comments that weren't ON topic!!

Since this IS off topic, I will leave it at that.

I think the reason to annonce the retirement AND the coin sale discount was to get rid of all the coins they have since they won't be caching any more.

I'm in for one more Tommy...money order ok??? I want to give one to my God-Son KAboom!!

edit to add...Tommy, IF you truly need someone to adopt any TBs, I'd be honored to adopt as many as you would allow.

Edited by Rockin Roddy

What is bashing about holding someone in high regards and then NOT??? I said nothing about this person, and I won't!! I don't bash people for the fun of it...and I have my reasons for not holding CC in the high regards I once did!! I never said that CC was a bad person or had done ANYTHING bad...I just don't see her in the same light as I did when I first tried to STRIVE to be like her!! I've met CC, she's a great person...I just don't put her up high like I once did.

NOT ONE THING BASHING ABOUT THAT AT ALL...so get over it and back on topic!!

AND btw...I aplogize ONLY for anything off topic...NOT for CC...I hope that's CLEAR too!!

edit to take out some of the off topic comments!!

and please Windrose...use the whole comment and not take something out of context...the rest said how I feel.

Edited by Rockin Roddy

You said that you "wised up to her." Thanks for backpedaling and backfilling to amplify your comments. Sounds like a politician!

I still fail to comprehend how wising up to CCCooperAgency is relevant to a thread about Tommy Trojan's departure from geocaching, their many travel bugs, and the sale of their geocoin.

This is why Geocide in the forums is never pretty. :wub:

Are we there yet?

Are we there yet?

Are we there yet?

Soooo my travel bug finally got picked up this week. It's been sitting in a cache for over a month in a wilderness area. Yay. Oh and I have move a TT bug before. I didn't read the site before I took it to an event and got yelled at. It didn't say not to on the card, but it was ok, I took it back out and all was right in the universe.

Edit: I can't spell today.

Edited by ZSandmann

I've moved one TT TB as well... great response from TT for it and I appreciate that. As mentioned by someone else, he's the only one that has ever thanked me for moving a TB.

That being said... like BD I'm curious if he's going to adopt any of them out.

Although I'm not sure... is that really necessary? Just because TT chose to leave the game doesn't mean his TBs are going to diappear. There just won't any more TT TBs out there.

Anyway... I've read all of the topics that center around this whole thing and still for the life of me can't figure out why TT and HT are leving the game, but hey... best of luck to ya!!

The original topic was to sell geocoins in the TB forum. That has since been edited out and the topic only leaned towards TBs when I posted.

Now my post is to lean this thread towards lockdown.

Good news, I found a travel bug today. It was a brand spanking new one that owner apprently dropped off this morning! I can't decide if I should move it as request, or totally take it in the wrong direction :huh: (insert evil laugh here)

And once I read your veiled attack, I lost all respect for the point you were trying to make. You are engaging in the same behavior to which you're taking offense. Apologizing to the moderator is no excuse.

Apologizing doesn't excuse the behavior. What isn't clear about that?

I find these interesting comments, coming from you of all people. And at least he has the courteosy to apologize, unlike some other people....

And once I read your veiled attack, I lost all respect for the point you were trying to make. You are engaging in the same behavior to which you're taking offense. Apologizing to the moderator is no excuse.

Apologizing doesn't excuse the behavior. What isn't clear about that?

I find these interesting comments, coming from you of all people. And at least he has the courteosy to apologize, unlike some other people....

I fail to see what your White Jeep hoarding adventures have to do with a thread about Tommy Trojan and his trackables, but since you brought it up, I forgive you for how you behaved, and everything you said about me. It was a long time ago.

Remarks like this one will not be tolerated. Either you all discuss the topic of the thread, or you don't post. This type of attitude is unacceptable. Is it any wonder Tommy & Helen feel this way? I for one think it's sad that people would be driven from such an enjoyable past-time when the whole sport of geocaching doesn't even really require these forums. They are not really one and the same. These forums are just an extra feature for us to share our experiences, but we can all go caching without ever entering the forums. I for one hope Tommy & Helen will rethink how they are going about their geocaching retirement. They really don't need to stop the best part of it, because a few bad apples in here. Now keep this thread on topic, or I'll be passing out more warnings and time offs.

Eartha

C-YA

Just exactly what was karstic discussing if he wasn't discussing the topic of the thread?

Tommy CHOSE to leave geocaching. Nobody forced him out.

karstic is one of the MANY So Cal geocachers that have put up with Tommy's antics for years while the rest of the geocaching world had no clue as to what was happening.

When speaking of bad apples why don't you ask Tommy how many thousands of discovered logs he deleted before Groundspeak told him to knock it off?