"Server Too Busy" at 5:40am?

Cache Liberation Front

We've been doing updates and changes to the site during the day. The logs are showing some very strange behavior from users accessing the web site. We're doing our best to make changes to address these issues. I posted a message to the announcements area but unfortunately it looks like the content was snipped.

We've been doing updates and changes to the site during the day. The logs are showing some very strange behavior from users accessing the web site. We're doing our best to make changes to address these issues. I posted a message to the announcements area but unfortunately it looks like the content was snipped.

<_< 8:30pm Still Down! :huh:

Hi all,

Anyone else getting the "Server Too Busy" error? It's only 5:40am here in California, can't imagine that being a heavy load time.

Best,

Mr. Wisearse.

I have been getting those messages the last two days regardless of the time. The server seems to be working only occasionally nowdays ... ;-(

Best wishes to all and hoping for the be(a)st ... ;-)

geocacher sikajack

Edited by sikajack

I know this is an older thread, but the "server busy" is back again <_< ... Sunday GMT13:59... Maybe all of California is looking for a cache to hit on Sunday? :rolleyes:.

Hope it comes back soon...

10:27pm PDT now, most Californians have gone to bed or at least aren't looking to go out caching soon... Getting no reply at all from geocaching.com. Very, very frustrating.

I know this is an older thread, but the "server busy" is back again :rolleyes: ... Sunday GMT13:59... Maybe all of California is looking for a cache to hit on Sunday? <_<.

10:27pm PDT now, most Californians have gone to bed or at least aren't looking to go out caching soon... Getting no reply at all from geocaching.com. Very, very frustrating.

Nope, just trying to log the day's caches. But since I can't do that, I'm killing time by trolling the forums... :unsure:

I know this is an older thread, but the "server busy" is back again <_< ... Sunday GMT13:59... Maybe all of California is looking for a cache to hit on Sunday? :unsure:.

Ditto, Nazgul

I was trying to figure out where you went on a 10 mile hike :blink:

I guess I'll just have to ask you :rolleyes:

I am wondering if it is something in some of your areas. The site is working fine for me. Odd that three of the recent posts are all from California. Maybe it is you and not the site?

I had problems accessing GC.com about the same time Nazgul and nooks had problems. I can get in now, and without doing anything on my behalf - didn't even need to log out then log back in, or remove cookies either.

I wouldn't place the blame on the users. There may be more serious problems involved, like network and routing problems.

I wouldn't place the blame on the users. There may be more serious problems involved, like network and routing problems.

Thank you. It was 3 AM and I was not really clear about that. :santa: That is what I really meant. It might be a local ISP or routing issue. I had not even thought about a cookie issue.

At one point, I was having terrible issues with the Waymarking site. I cleared the cookies for it and all has been well since.

Thanks budd-rdc. :mad:

Nope, just trying to log the day's caches. But since I can't do that, I'm killing time by trolling the forums... :santa:

It's very intermittent. When I got done browsing the forums, I tried again. Everything was fine.

In the two years I've been a member, rarely has there been a problem. These past couple weeks, though, have been a bit frustrating...you never know when things will be working or not. I can hardly wait until everyone unwraps their shiny new GPSr on Christmas morning...

It might be a local ISP or routing issue.

Why would a local ISP or routing issue generate an HTML page that says "Server too busy"?

Server Error in '/' Application.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Server Too Busy

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: Server Too Busy

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[HttpException (0x80004005): Server Too Busy]

System.Web.HttpRuntime.RejectRequestInternal(HttpWorkerRequest wr) +148

Maybe Santa will bring a new set of bigger, faster servers with some code that will handle the volume of traffic.

I've been having this problem now for over a week and it's driving me nuts. So much for being a premium member :)

Yes, now. Again. Too busy! What is is now?

I was online and it went down. I looked at the time and it was almost exactly midnight on the east coast and was down for the next 1 or so before i went to bed. Almost sounds like some server maintenance took place? Does ground speak post when maintenance will occur or have a pre- set maintenance window?

Yes, now. Again. Too busy! What is is now?

I was online and it went down. I looked at the time and it was almost exactly midnight on the east coast and was down for the next 1 or so before i went to bed. Almost sounds like some server maintenance took place? Does ground speak post when maintenance will occur or have a pre- set maintenance window?

I have heard that at 2 AM Eastern, 11 PM Pacific, the servers recompile the site and get really slow. I see that at night if I am on the site. I usually quit what I am doing at that point and crash.

A little bit off topic maybe. Today I recived the mail notification of a TB drop note, but the find post notification for the same cache seems to be gone. For the same cache by the same finder. No, it is not a spam filter to blame.

The find log came in the eMail 10 Hours later. :surprise:

Once again the stupid site doesn't work properly. I can't get ANY images from logs, profiles, etc. They simply time out and won't load. This is, without a doubt, the most unreliable site I've ever used and I've been using computers, BBS, unix-based non-graphical Internet, etc. for quite a long time. It really irks me to pay for a site that is constantly broken.............

I have not got a 'server too busy' notice in about a week but EVERY time I try to log more than a dozen geocoins the server seems awfully slow. In some cases forcing me to wait a day or so to try to finish off the lists of coins that I got at events. I usually wait a week before trying to do that, thinking that I won't run into 100 other people also logging those coins but apparently nothing I do will make it take less than an hour to log 10 coins. Too bad there is no way to pre-log everything on my PDA and upload it all at once.

:rolleyes:

OK to say up front.... do not blow me away after what I am about to say :)

In the "OLD DAYS" of dialup internet there were local modems that were slow and the only way to correct that was to hang up and redial. I am wondering that could it be that there might be a router, etc at the Emerald City that is being like a spoiled kid and at times decides to misbehave. Or maybe someone is working on the system and there are to many of us trying to jam to much through the available bandwidth. Remember 5:40 am in the Western Time zone is about noon in Europe.

I have been using "internet" types of communication for a long time including the DARPAnet and what we have today is so good and reliable it is unbelievable. We sometimes forget that "instant gradification" is not always necessary. To get the kind a service we are getting for free or if a premium member for less than 1 Starbuck a month is pretty good no matter how you look at it.

:cool:

Several times over the last few days the server has been too busy or just timed out.

Isn't it about time more servers were put into use for premium members, after all, isn't that one of the things our subscriptions are used for.

Been very annoying not being able to run PQs or even do a few searches or some other research.

I'm sat here at the moment having to take a chance on the PQs I already have for a trip out with the kids, but could be about to go looking for some that aren't there just because I can't check them. And you try explaining to my kids why they can't find a large, regular, 1/1, when it's there on the PDA.

This has been happening, on and off, all year and we keep being told that servers are being optimised or whatever, but there are too many times still when the busy error comes up.

Maybe a dedicated servers for Europe and the States would be the answer so we're not all trying to use the same hardware at the same time. Normally it's just Friday eves and Sunday eves here that are the problem (with the odd outage during the week - maintenance ??), but over the festive hols, it's been pretty much every day.

Surley this must indicate we've outgrown either the servers or the bandwidth or something.

Rant over - gone to find some caches - hopefully !!!

Several times over the last few days the server has been too busy or just timed out.

Tens of thousands of people who have never cached before found a shiny new GPS under their Christmas tree, and many of them signed up for accounts and are checking out the site. Kids and college students all have this week off, and many other people take this week as a vacation week too, so lots of people are doing more weekday caching than they usually do.

It all adds up to some very busy servers -- just have a little patience, and it will be better next week, when the kids go back to school. Or the week after, when a lot of the new cachers lose interest. :laughing:

Tens of thousands of people who have never cached before found a shiny new GPS under their Christmas tree, and many of them signed up for accounts and are checking out the site. Kids and college students all have this week off, and many other people take this week as a vacation week too, so lots of people are doing more weekday caching than they usually do.

It all adds up to some very busy servers -- just have a little patience, and it will be better next week, when the kids go back to school. Or the week after, when a lot of the new cachers lose interest. :laughing:

People... You need to QUIT making excuses and hold the site owners accountable. As long as they keep seeing excuses here, they know that they can get by with treating the site like this.

Here are some facts (and estimates):

I estimate (they don't seem to want to publish the numbers, hoping that you won't figure this out on your own) that there are between 100,000 and 150,000 premium members. I can PROVE that there are at least 60,000 premium members.

150,000 times $3/month equals $450,000/month (thats $5.4 million/year)

60,000 times $3/month equals $180,000/month (thats over $2.1 million/year)

Now even going with the lower number, there is NO reason that this site can't be run correctly.

Either someone is really padding their pockets and doesn't really care about the site, OR, they are blowing money on things that just don't matter and that no one is using (Waymarking comes to mind, how many people do you know that would pay $3/month for that site??). Even with blowing money on things that don't matter, there is still NO reason that a stable site shouldn't be able to run for $180,000 per month.

With these kind of revenues, and what should be low expenses, there is NO reason that this shouldn't be one of the best performing sites out there.

Even worst case (before salaries, I'll let the reader decide whats appropriate there, just remember, the numbers above are monthly, not yearly) this site should not cost more than $10,000-$15,000/month to run. That assumes bad (high priced) leases on hardware, highest co-loc pricing, and bandwidth.

As long as people keep making excuses and making it sound like this is only a hobby board, thats how they are going to treat it.

Wow. You know a lot.

I know as long as people keep making excuses and not holding others accountable, then those others will think that they are doing all they have to in order to keep customers happy.

I also know that if I were paying a group $2.1 million per year to run a web site and it ran like this one, that I wouldn't be too happy. And I know that from a business perspective, anyone would agree that a site that performs like this is not worth paying $2.1 million per year.

So yes, if want to look at it like that then I probably do know a lot.

Next?

I never have problems with the server.

Might have something to do with my Latinum membership.

Sluggish and non-responsive servers have been well documented here for quite a while (months and months).

You go ahead and give gc that warm fuzzy problem that nothing is wrong and they will not fix it...

Why people continue to defend these problems is beyond my comprehension of reasonable understanding. These aren't one or two issues, these are ONGOING issues.

Even Jeremy finally admitted to problems here:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=150414