"Server Too Busy" at 5:40am?

Cache Liberation Front

No offence meant... but there are some more territories other than California in this world... Here in Europe, it's 18:15... which would be a rather usual time to see a "Server too busy" syndrome...

Joke apart, I guess there is something else going on than simply too many requests on the servers?

VERY unstable

Irish said he isn't worried about outdoor purists curbing the game's growth.

Every January he doubles his computer-storage capacity as people receive that new handheld Christmas present.

It seems as though Christmas got here early this year, with the snow. Edited by blackjack65

Today must have been a really rare day because I am never on Geocaching in the morning. Today was different because I was working on a puzzle cache and I needed to put the final touches on it......Well, the final touches didn't get done because at 7:15 am CST in Portland, Tennessee the site was experiencing ISSUES!

Well, I run a server, a small hosting service... I cannot imagine how could I deprive my customers of service for more than an hour. This Busy Server is not acceptable, specially taking in mind this is not an isolate occurence. From times to times... Busy Server. Interesting Premium Feature.

It seems to work intermittently.

And my complain was more of a general "Aw man. Oh well." type of thing. For those saying this is absolutely not acceptable or YELLING... c'mon people. Geocaching is growing exponentially. The site usage... is growing exponentially. Of COURSE it's going to have issues here and there.

The fact that it's only intermittent is amazing enough. Give it time... it will be fixed, be it with the server upgraded, or some of the site re-coded, or whatnot. You're only paying 3 bucks a month (less if you're paying for a year) IF you're a premium member. This isn't like a phone service where you're paying like.... 50 bucks a month or whatever.

Lemme guess... those saying this is absolutely unacceptable... you're the type of person who demands the 37 cent refund from customer service when there was an outage for a few hours.

I would think mid-week would be the least active time. Can't imagine what Sunday is going to be like.

If it is growing pains, then perhaps GC.com should stop accepting new members until they can provide an acceptable level of service to existing customers.

It can't be that busy, must be another problem with the server. If I'm right, it runs Microsoft Windows OS, + IIS which might be the problem. I would change it to UNIX (FreeBSD) +Apache, it would handle the requests much better.

got this, several times before, and too many times today

Server Error in '/' Application.

Server Too Busy

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: Server Too Busy

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[HttpException (0x80004005): Server Too Busy]

System.Web.HttpRuntime.RejectRequestInternal(HttpWorkerRequest wr) +148

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2300; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2300

Kind Regards, marian.

And my complain was more of a general "Aw man. Oh well." type of thing. For those saying this is absolutely not acceptable or YELLING... c'mon people. Geocaching is growing exponentially. The site usage... is growing exponentially. Of COURSE it's going to have issues here and there.

I'm very permissive as far as there isn't money involved, as it happens with thousands of amazing free projects all over the net.

Geocaching is growing? The site is growing? So is Groundspeak income. All leveled accordingly to the natural law of growing... but again, natural laws are not part of Groundspeak logics. Oh by the way... someone corrects me if I'm wrong but this issue is not related with webserver overusing but to DOS (not the old Gates creation, it's Denial Of Service).

A bit off topic maybe, but I think there is a connection.

Most (all?) of the new caches being released as of now have the following status:

This cache is temporarily unavailable. Read the logs below to read the status for this cache.

For no apparent reason. No logs to indicate why.

Strange.

Well, I run a server, a small hosting service... I cannot imagine how could I deprive my customers of service for more than an hour. This Busy Server is not acceptable, specially taking in mind this is not an isolate occurence. From times to times... Busy Server. Interesting Premium Feature.

It's only been an issue for the last...oh, 3 years.

It's only been an issue for the last...oh, 3 years.

Been up and down all day...

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but today was the first day in a really long time that I kept going to my email expecting it to be full of cachers wanting to contact me, or cachers logging my caches....Instead, I have got 2 emails ALL DAY LONG! None of them were from geocaching.com! I was getting a little worried that something with my email service must be dreadfully wrong, but when I went to the Geocaching site to work on a new cache listing for a while....it was DEAD! That eased my worries and I have been able to digest my salad.

People are saying that it has been up and down all day, but for me I have been on everytime that it has been down. So I haven't really done my daily work time on the site yet.

The fact that it's only intermittent is amazing enough. Give it time... it will be fixed, be it with the server upgraded, or some of the site re-coded, or whatnot. You're only paying 3 bucks a month (less if you're paying for a year) IF you're a premium member. This isn't like a phone service where you're paying like.... 50 bucks a month or whatever.

These would be valid arguments IF (and only if) this were a hobby board or something. The fact is, this is supposed to be a business run by about a dozen paid people.

The real fact is, there is a weakness. They don't know how to scale the site, and it shows. This is not a dollar issue, but rather a skill set issue.

Until they get someone in there with the right skill sets, this problem is only going to get worse.

Unfortunately, people go out and learn how to code a few .asp pages, and think they know how to run a server, and when things get slow, they just throw more hardware at the problem. This isn't the way it works. There are obvious weaknesses in how the servers are setup, and they keep wanting to throw programming at it (remember the slowness a couple weeks ago was blamed on the weekly emails?? something thats been running fine for a couple years?). Until they get someone in there that understands these things at a server level, and understands what it takes to scale a site, this is not only going to keep happening, its going to get worse.

Got some quality work done on that cache page...and during the time that the site was up and running I got two emails of people who logged things that were on my watchlist! Then the site has bit the dust again and I am back to going back to reading about the Canterbury Tales for a school project that I should be doing instead of caching.....so I guess the downtime is a direct sign that I need to "GET TO IT!"