Would this cache be approved?

traildad

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this cache idea would be ok. I would like to publish the cache normally but in the cache would be instructions to go to a nearby spot. To get credit for the find you would have to email me what was written there and sign the log book. The cache box would be normal with a log book and swag etc. Thanks Ken

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this cache idea would be ok. I would like to publish the cache normally but in the cache would be instructions to go to a nearby spot. To get credit for the find you would have to email me what was written there and sign the log book. The cache box would be normal with a log book and swag etc. Thanks Ken
Sounds like a legit mystery cache....

Sounds ok, but wouldnt it be simpler, to just write a Secret word on the cache container/box?

or you could put 2 micro caches with co-ordinates to the official cache.

1st micro, would contain the NORTH Co-ordiantes with a set of co-ordinates for the 2nd micro, that would contain the WEST co-ordinates.

put the 2 together you have the co-ordinates for the actual cache.

b e good to keep them all within 50-100 meters from each other type thing, same area.

or do it your way...lmao

Sounds ok, but wouldnt it be simpler, to just write a Secret word on the cache container/box?

1st micro, would contain the NORTH Co-ordiantes with a set of co-ordinates for the 2nd micro, that would contain the WEST co-ordinates.

b e good to keep them all within 50-100 meters from each other type thing, same area.

or do it your way...lmao

Well the point is to get them to the second location. Emailing the word to me proves they went there. Putting the instructions in the cache allows me to put the cache in a safer location and meet the requirements of an actual box with log book. I guess it depends on what is the object of the whole thing. Ken

Did a cache like this in LA. The first location was a mico with a log and coords to the final. Very few ever logged the 2nd even tho when they left the 1st location they drove within a few feet of the 2nd location. Could almost reach it from sitting inside your car. People just signed the 1st location log and claimed a find.

If you want to force cachers to visit the second location, then you should take the time to change the listing so it becomes the first stage of a Multi or a Puzzle/Mystery cache. It shouldn't be difficult to convert the codeword into some kind of a number (A=1, B=2, C=3, etc... use your imagination).

If you insist on listing it as a Traditional, just mention the other location in the description, and make the visit voluntary. Not everyone will comply, but you'll be surprised... and everyone will be happy since you aren't forcing anyone to visit there. :ph34r:

I've been to many caches like that, and their is nothing wrong with it. If the location that you are wanting people to go to is 20 feet away then I don't see a problem in leaving it a traditional cache.....but if it is any more than that, then I would have that "location" be the provided coords and the information on the plaque (or whatever it is) provide the info for the actual cache box. It would then be either a multi or puzzle cache depending on the way that you set it up.

Why the secondary requirement? Most caches like this just have people have to sign the second logbook. That's a multi-cache - no problem there. But the "you need to e-mail me X information to get credit" sounds like an extra unnecessary step in the process. Can't you just check the logbooks to see if someone really found your cache?

Or, you could do an offset cache. Go here (posted coords) now walk over here (somewhere near, but preferably not exactly at posted coords). Project a waypoint at xxx degrees, xxx feet from your current position, based on True North. The cache will be at those coordinates. Offset caches are considered "multis" for the writeup.

the reason you don't have people go directly to the posted coords and project from there is because they could then use software at home to figure out the projected coords based on the posted ones, and just go straight to the cache. You could also use some object at the posted coords to figure into the projection, as others have mentioned. (ie, count the number of fence posts, multiply it by 33, and that is your bearing)

Same idea, different method as mentioned before in here.

The idea is to get them to the end of the road. It is a dead end but it is not a great place to hide the cache. My understanding is that to have it listed it must be a true cache with box and log. If I put the cache at a visit friendly spot a little ways down the road they can search, find and sign without parking in the middle of a one lane road. Sign the log and take the short drive to the end of the road and send the email later when online logging the find. The email would contain what is written on the gate at the end of the road. It is simply a very scenic drive to the end of a dead end country road. I could simply suggest on the cache page that they drive the rest of the way to the end but this is my first choice. All in all this will be a very easy cache. <_< Ken

or do it your way...lmao

Well the point is to get them to the second location. Emailing the word to me proves they went there. Putting the instructions in the cache allows me to put the cache in a safer location and meet the requirements of an actual box with log book. I guess it depends on what is the object of the whole thing. Ken

Why not just do it this way, but add a code word in the two micros? For even more, you could also put a code word on the cache itself.

But I really don't understand, like many above me, why you need the extra requirement. I think just signing the logbook should be enough, and if you're really that specific about it, take the logbook home every now and then and cross-check the signers of the logbook with those who logged a find. That should work just fine.

But I also say whatever floats your boat. <_<

As others have suggested, use what is written at the end of the road to somehow plug it into numbers (A=1 B=2, etc and then do some math stuff).

If the sign says "Road Ends Here, No Outlet" - you could use the fourth word "Here" and have it be 8-5-18-5 (eighth letter, fifth letter, eighteenth letter, fifth letter) and 85185 is some mathematical factor in coming up with the new cache coordinates for the box back in the friendly area.

Not saying that it CAN'T be done the other way around, just that it's not usually done that way. Also having an "e-mail me the contents" portion is usually frowned upon by the reviewers.

Your best bet is to check with your local reviewer.

I see from your profile that you have only found 1 multi. My first suggestion would be to find a number of different caches. Mystery and multi especially. When you see how they are done it probably will give you a better idea how to handle your question.

I have a POW/MIA (GCRNXB) memorial cache which obviously I could not put a container or log book. So what I did was to use data found at the memorial to give offset data to where the cache was actually located. This worked great because they have to pay attention to what I wanted them to see yet they also are able to find a container with swag, TB's and a log book.

Also I have attached redirect locations to the back of STOP signs or other metal signs. These are used when setting up a multi.

The way I understand things now is that only the Virtual and Earthcaches are allowed to ask questions that you must reply via email to keep the find.

Good luck

:wub:

Not saying that it CAN'T be done the other way around, just that it's not usually done that way. Also having an "e-mail me the contents" portion is usually frowned upon by the reviewers.

Your best bet is to check with your local reviewer.

I contacted Nomex and he also said that it can be done but also suggested using the sign and some math to figure out the coordinates to get to the cache. This is probably what I will do. I plan to go up there and see if I can make it work. Thanks for the help. Ken