History of GPS

OwlCacher

Does anybody know how much a GPS unit cost when it first came out? Was it a ripoff of what it costs today like many other electronics? Or do you wish you had purchased it earlier?

This is for a project for school, on the evolution of Hi-Tech vs, Lo-Tech items.

IPS360.jpg

To the best of my knowledge, this Sony GPS was one of the first "consumer" handheld GPS units on the market! (circa 1990) It does not have all the bells and wistles of todays GPS units, but it is an extreemly well built unit. IMO

Also, it has always amazed me what the prices are for "NEW" technology when it first hits the market place!!!

Here is an article that lists the price for my dinosaur GPS.

Where Am I?

No matter where in the world you are, the $1,195 hand-held Sony Pyxis GPS (Global Positioning System) can identify your precise position within about 100 feet. The Pyxis communicates with four satellites to identify your longitude, latitude, and altitude. With Pyxis you may still get lost, but at least you'll know exactly where you are. (Sony: 201-930-7669)

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/1.01/fetish.html

I purchased this Sony GPS'r (NIB) at a yard sale quite a few years ago!

SonyGPS.jpg

NEW technology costs a lot because it is costly to invent (something you can't plan by the way !), study, develop (and the product and the production tools) !

There is no rip off, here. Rip off is when you pay football players having the IQ of a salad, lawyers, politicians and the like more than scientists and engineers.

Does anybody know how much a GPS unit cost when it first came out? Was it a ripoff of what it costs today like many other electronics? Or do you wish you had purchased it earlier?

This is for a project for school, on the evolution of Hi-Tech vs, Lo-Tech items.

IPS360.jpg

To the best of my knowledge, this Sony GPS was one of the first "consumer" handheld GPS units on the market! (circa 1990) It does not have all the bells and wistles of todays GPS units, but it is an extreemly well built unit. IMO

Also, it has always amazed me what the prices are for "NEW" technology when it first hits the market place!!!

Here is an article that lists the price for my dinosaur GPS.

Where Am I?

No matter where in the world you are, the $1,195 hand-held Sony Pyxis GPS (Global Positioning System) can identify your precise position within about 100 feet. The Pyxis communicates with four satellites to identify your longitude, latitude, and altitude. With Pyxis you may still get lost, but at least you'll know exactly where you are. (Sony: 201-930-7669)

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/1.01/fetish.html

I purchased this Sony GPS'r (NIB) at a yard sale quite a few years ago!

SonyGPS.jpg

not quite, magellan introduced the first handheld gps unit in 1989 and it was the nav1000. for history, try searching wikipedia for thalles.

In 2002 I paid about 500 for my GPS V. I still have the V and use it for caching and routing. I have never upgraded. At the time that was the limit of what I could afford and would not have paid more if they cost more.

Hey Renegade,

I purchsed a Garmin GPSV earlier this year from cabelas for $199.00. IMO, this seemed like a good price for a mapping unit! The reason I purchsed the V is that I had an older model GPSII that I purchased about 10 years ago for $89.00, I was already familiar with its operation, and I had the mounting bracket on my ATV. Also, I like using an external antenna for better reception in the deep woods here in Nova Scotia.

gpsvbike.jpg

My next GPSr will be a Garmin color unit................ :huh:

Edited by Xlobsterman