Magellan Explorist 210 Questions

Hanzerik

I'm in the market for a handheld GPSr. I have looked at both the Magellan and Garmin units in the stores and have settled on the Magellan 210. I know both the Magellan and Garmin users have their own opinions as to which GPSr’s they prefer, but I like the looks, and sturdy feel of the Magellan’s compared to the Garmins.

But I do have a few questions that may relate to both makes.

I know the basic base map is not very detailed, and I will probably get the bundle package with the topo maps. But I am concerned that even the topo map software will not be as detailed as I want it to be. I do alot of driving and hiking in some pretty rough country here in Wyoming. I like to know exactly where I am at all times, and am very proficient with a map and compass, but would like a GPSr that can/does display the NF roads in a reasonably detailed manner. When I looked at the 210 at cabelas, it showed only the main highways and major roads. Does the Topo map software that comes in the bundle packages have maps that are a lot more detailed compared to the standard base map that comes loaded in these units? Will it show small lakes, streams, and non-major roads?

And for those that have a Magellan 210; what, in your opinion, are some pros and cons of this unit?

Thanks for any feedback…Hanz

http://www.magellangps.com/products/webviewer/3Dtopo.asp

Is this what the maps would look like on the Magellan 210 GPSr (other then in color)?

I can't speak for the detail of the maps, because I've been using the basemaps since I got it. As far as any negatives...I've only found two. One, geocache files are capped at 200. This is really just a minor inconvenience, but I kinda wish it was 500. Two, no ability to project a waypoint. This is supposedly fixed with the new firmware, but I haven't flashed it yet.

Edited by rhelt100

The Topo map on the 210 is very detailed. In my area, it has almost every road, main & small, including most private roads. Lakes, streams, creeks, etc. are all there. The only thing missing is a few of the newer roads. I don't think the map software has been updated recently. In West Virginia, many of the back country dirt roads are shown. The difference between the base map & the Topo map, in the detail they show, is like night & day.

If you email me some coordinates, I'll screen capture an area around that point & send it to you.

The Topo map on the 210 is very detailed. In my area, it has almost every road, main & small, including most private roads. Lakes, streams, creeks, etc. are all there. The only thing missing is a few of the newer roads. I don't think the map software has been updated recently. In West Virginia, many of the back country dirt roads are shown. The difference between the base map & the Topo map, in the detail they show, is like night & day.

If you email me some coordinates, I'll screen capture an area around that point & send it to you.

PM Sent. Thanks

You need to remember the source for the maps.

Garmin has based their topo maps on the USGS/BLM 1:100,000 maps. Out of date, not a high level of detail, but lots of FS and other dirt roads.

Magellan has based their topo maps on their street level maps with topographic material added. Better detail for what is there and way more current, but not as good for the FS and other dirt roads. Not as many named details of a geographic nature.

If you find yourself coming over to Laramie let me know and I can let you play with both eTrex and eXplorist with the respective topo maps installed.