is this cheating..... i thought so

dale hollow lake

Today when going to hike in a couple miles of a trail to get to the area where the cache was hidden, I decided to swing my metal detector, when I got to the area where I expected to find the cache and made up my mind where id search first i grabed up the metal detector and got a major signal these things don't sound off much in deep woods so i knew the cache was there, and it was.

this wasn't your normal ammo box it was twice as big as a regular one.

I kind of felt like I cheated, even though it did little less than tell me to go ahead and bend down a little further and look under that............well no clues guys, you see my point.

In my defense in these Ky hills with all the leaves on the ground things can really get so covered a leaf blower with a full tank is required.

Ill post the picture of my metal detecting finds while hunting today on another site, Id say by the # of shotgun brass ends I recovered the guy with the 20 gauge lost to the one with the 12 gauge, this is a state park so the brass has to be over 45 years old, or more, there was no plastic so I know they had to have been paper hulls. More than likely you have to be over 60 to understand this part of the story

i dont think thats cheating !! the whole point of geocaching is to use your gps and get out thier and try to navigate to the coordinats, once your within the 50 foot mark it should just be all visual and if you have an extra advantage like the metal detector why not use it.. the gps and your skill of navigation got you 98% of the way thier, you just used the metal detector for the final find..

now the metal detector might not always work, especially with all the micro's that are made of plastic !! like the 35mm film containers...

Today when going to hike in a couple miles of a trail to get to the area where the cache was hidden, I decided to swing my metal detector, when I got to the area where I expected to find the cache and made up my mind where id search first i grabed up the metal detector and got a major signal these things don't sound off much in deep woods so i knew the cache was there, and it was.

I kind of felt like I cheated, even though it did little less than tell me to go ahead and bend down a little further and look under that............well no clues guys, you see my point.

In my defense in these Ky hills with all the leaves on the ground things can really get so covered a leaf blower with a full tank is required.

Ill post the picture of my metal detecting finds while hunting today on another site, Id say by the # of shotgun brass ends I recovered the guy with the 20 gauge lost to the one with the 12 gauge, this is a state park so the brass has to be over 45 years old, or more, there was no plastic so I know they had to have been paper hulls. More than likely you have to be over 60 to understand this part of the story

No your not cheating, And I bet it wont help you find every cache out there that your looking for. I have one, Mill Park Multi in MN zip code 56345 that you could look for swinging your detector all week and not find it. But if you had a mirror on a stick it sure would be easy. What I'm saying is go ahead and use your detector and any othe tools you have in your bag. Real treasure hunters have sonar radar underwater subs robots and who knows what I say the more tools you have the better you will be at finding the harder caches.

Keep caching

My wife has a knack for finding nano containers hanging in trees. I don't try anymore, I just bring her along to sniff em' out. If a metal detector is cheating, then bringing my nano sniffing wife along would be cheating also :ph34r:

Wow... how do you teach that? I should try to train my wife to be a nano sniffer too :ph34r:

It's not cheating. As long as you signed the log, you found the cache. Whether you used a metal detector, kids, a dog, or a pack of sherpas to do so, you did it.

I used a metal detector ro find the first stage of a multi once. It was actually a survey pin almost buried in teh grass, so I had to use the detector to find it cause it couldn't be seen. I didn't feel like I cheated, I felt like I done good. <_<

Cool, I helped place this cache! :wub: My wife has pictures of her using me as a packmule carrying this beast of an ammo can out on my shoulders with bungee straps.

No, definitely not cheating, you're just using the tools at hand. I'm glad you found it!