Geocaching in danger

jbsings2266

Post script: Dave, don't sweat the spelling critics. A person's ability to spell is not an accurate reflection of their abilities elsewhere, including land management.

No but it is an indicator of either their intelligence, or indifference. A misspelled word here and there is no big deal, but when every 4th word is either misspelled or misused, it makes clear communication of your ideas difficult.

You admit to being a poor speller, yet you take the time to make sure that your posts use proper grammar and are spelled correctly. I'm sure PyroDave is a bright guy, so that leaves carelessness. It shows that he simply doesn't give a clam's patootie about clear communication. Not a good trait for someone who aspires to be in a management position of any sort.

Post script: Dave, don't sweat the spelling critics. A person's ability to spell is not an accurate reflection of their abilities elsewhere, including land management.

No but it is an indicator of either their intelligence, or indifference. A misspelled word here and there is no big deal, but when every 4th word is either misspelled or misused, it makes clear communication of your ideas difficult.

You admit to being a poor speller, yet you take the time to make sure that your posts use proper grammar and are spelled correctly. I'm sure PyroDave is a bright guy, so that leaves carelessness. It shows that he simply doesn't give a clam's patootie about clear communication. Not a good trait for someone who aspires to be in a management position of any sort.

I was under the impression Pyro Dave has some kind of disability.

Perhaps an example from a child's book I read many years ago "The Silent Miaow" would explain the typos. the book was perportedly written by a cat. The first line was something like "wjen iwad abery yikng kotteb..." which translated "when I was a very young kitten..." It was said to be the result of a typist having very large fingers- or perhaps as they wanted you to believe... PAWS.

Perhaps it does not indicate any carelessness or lack of communication skills at all, just an inability to operate a keyboard well.

Still a spell checker will do wonders- most of the time.

As someone else pointed out, there are a number of disabilities (dyslexia and dysgraphia are a couple of examples) that make typing a coherent paragraph difficult. Spell check does help, but it doesn't cure everything. Having a disability such as these is NOT an indicator of intelligence, but shows that the brain is, in essence, wired somewhat differently. In many cases, the person with the disability is in fact very smart, since they have to come up with new ways to cope and remember things for classes such as what PyroDave is taking, since most colleges do not make the modifications that public schools do. I am taking a course with a person with dyslexia.. he has gone through college and already has one degree, and is working on teacher certification. He has a real gift or ministry to work with the students he works with (at an alternative learning center for students with behavior problems). If he takes a LOT of time to work out the paragraph he is trying to type, it comes across very well. If he is sitting down and posting to our online discussion board without prior preparation, it is worse than the misspellings that we saw here. If he had given up on posting because of embarrassment, we would have missed out on his experience in the classroom, since he is already in a teaching position. If you disagree with his postings for their opinion that is one thing, but to attack him for his disability is very poor sportsmanship.

Typo's aside PyroDave is at least making a case and an argument. I forgive typo's in a forum. I h8t wen ppl U's "net speak" and in professional correspondance you better take your time. A forum though, it's quick and off the hip good stuff.

I may not agree with PyroDave's every point in this thread but I like that he's clearly taking time to think out and state his position. Now back to the real debate and lets leave spelling out of the equation.

Environmentalists are trying to stop the production of food, fiber, fun, frivolity and anything else that gets us outside.

If you know one, ask them what they had for their last meal and then tell them to call the person that grew, processed, shipped, marketed, sold, and prepared it.

These people need to move to France.

D

We should probably make a distinction between an "environmentalist whacko" and a "conservationist".

The conservationist is one who RESPECTS the environment and endeavours to be a good steward of the gifts the Earth has for us.

The "environmentalist whacko" is one who considers any non-human to be "nature" and any human to be an intruder.

The conservationist hunts, but does so responsibly so as to preserve and enhance wildlife, not eliminate them.

The whacko abhors hunting because "every life is precious" (except human- apparently) and animals have a right to life (unlike human babies).

The conservationist cuts trees, but plants more trees than he cuts.

The whacko spikes trees so that lumberjacks will be maimed and killed.

The conservationist mines coal and minerals and then restores the land as well as possible to how it was before he got there.

The whacko pickets mines and oil fields but drives a car and lives in a house with electricity.

The conservationist farms the land efficiently to produce food for us all, but is careful to keep the soil in good condition and not overuse chemicals.

The whacko demands that farming be done by old fashioned methods, not understanding that those methods are not sufficiently efficient to feed everyone with the ever decreasing amount of land available.

The conservationist places a cache where there is not likely to be any permanent environmental damage and monitors it and adjusts or removes it if there is a problem.

The whacko thinks every weed is a permanent fixture and any human being in the woods is somehow unnatural and inherently harmful to the Earth.

Hey, environmentalist whackos; PEOPLE ARE PART OF NATURE! Deal with it.

Edited by Confucius' Cat

As someone else pointed out, there are a number of disabilities (dyslexia and dysgraphia are a couple of examples) that make typing a coherent paragraph difficult. Spell check does help, but it doesn't cure everything. Having a disability such as these is NOT an indicator of intelligence, but shows that the brain is, in essence, wired somewhat differently. In many cases, the person with the disability is in fact very smart, since they have to come up with new ways to cope and remember things for classes such as what PyroDave is taking, since most colleges do not make the modifications that public schools do. I am taking a course with a person with dyslexia.. he has gone through college and already has one degree, and is working on teacher certification. He has a real gift or ministry to work with the students he works with (at an alternative learning center for students with behavior problems). If he takes a LOT of time to work out the paragraph he is trying to type, it comes across very well. If he is sitting down and posting to our online discussion board without prior preparation, it is worse than the misspellings that we saw here. If he had given up on posting because of embarrassment, we would have missed out on his experience in the classroom, since he is already in a teaching position. If you disagree with his postings for their opinion that is one thing, but to attack him for his disability is very poor sportsmanship.

You are assuming that he as a disability. That is not a given. For arguments sake, lets say he does. I know several dyslexics and like your friend, they have to take great care when they are writing. But they do.

Anyway, if you read my posts in this thread the bulk of them were directed at his opinions. What you call attacks on his "disability" were merely observations.

Now back to your regularly scheduled topic.

Edited by briansnat

When it comes to my spelling well we all can't be good at everything and my disability makes it very hard for me to spell. However I bet you can' t do some things that I can do well so should I take your oppion as less then everyone elses?

Like I said I started as a cacher and know many great cachers however as a future land manager I'm trying to show the other side of the coin. As much as some want to make it look not all cachers are the ones that do all the right things some do the wrong things and as a land manger you wory about what could go wrong. After my one attemt to help manage land that I use and was asked by the teacher that dose manage the land to fix problums caused by geocacheing and seeing how much red tape was involved with fixing it I will still be causious of letting cache placement on the land i manage.

PyroDave

PyroDave

Dave is the one that mentioned that a disability he has makes it difficult to spell. Not knowing him personally, I have no idea what disability it is, and I don't really feel it is my need to know. I mentioned two disabilities that I work with on an almost daily basis as an educator. I added the bold type to make it easier to see.

Wait! Is this a new guideline in the making?

A cacher can't post unless he is highly intelligent, his first language is English, he types carefully and proof-reads before hitting enter?

Are we really such pretentious twerps that we have to comment on each other's spelling and language skills?

Is there a required minimum intelligence or education level to qualify to post here without folks making 'observations' as to our abilities?

Geocaching is in no danger - but civility just may be!

Ed

Greetings!

Hey, I have a novel idea - how about we start a new category of geocaching - where there wouldn't actually be a container but the posted coordinates take you somewhere interesting.

You would go to the point - probably in a very low impact manner - and find yourself somewhere historic or fascinating. Then you could answer a question and report back to the cache owner.

Ohhh wait, nevermind - I just remembered we USED to have these but someone deemed that even the worst box-o-junk is better than the best virtual.......

Wouldn't a virtual in a "no cache container" zone be better than no caching at all?

Bring back the virts!

Sincerely,

PULASKI

A cacher can't post unless he is highly intelligent, his first language is English, he types carefully and proof-reads before hitting enter?

Nobody is saying they can't post. They are saying that if a poster wants to be understood he should take a bit more care and if he is a poor speller, perhaps he should consider using a spell checker.

If someone has to read your post repeatedly to figure out what you are trying to say, it's not conducive to getting your point across.

Hey, I have a novel idea - how about we start a new category of geocaching - where there wouldn't actually be a container but the posted coordinates take you somewhere interesting.

You would go to the point - probably in a very low impact manner - and find yourself somewhere historic or fascinating. Then you could answer a question and report back to the cache owner.

You are assuming that a virtual would be lower impact. The plants don't know whether you are walking on them to find a container, or to read the inscription on a rock.

Edited by briansnat

I find it quite disturbing that so many of us (Geocacher’s) are fighting over Environmentalism!

Most Geocacher’s respect the environment and many help to protect it (see CITO) but, there are also many people who paid the big dollar (over $650 in Canada) for a top end GPS unit and some topo. software and want to rack up the finds regardless of what gets in their way. Just like all outdoor activities some controls have to be placed in effect to minimize the POSSIBLE damages. I live just outside Algonquin Park in Ontario and I can see that if you let every visitor to the area with a GPS unit go crazy there will be nothing “natural” left to cache in. Unfortunately many people forget that they are not alone in whatever quest or activity they participate in and while one persons footprint makes a small impact, if you multiply it out over hundreds or thousands of people the damage is overwhelming! Most environmental groups do not want to stop people from Geocaching or enjoying the outdoors, but just want people to be more responsible. The problems arise when either side gets stupid and jumps up on a soapbox and starts blurting out garbage (like some of the responses’ offered in this forum) so my advice is to make sure Geocacher’s stay cool and demonstrate that we can be responsible and that we are, as a group, concerned about the environment and our impact!

It makes sense to me to protect the natural environment and we should all be pushing towards this goal, if not stay in the city and look for micro caches!

I find it quite disturbing that so many of us (Geocacher’s) are fighting over Environmentalism!

Most Geocacher’s respect the environment and many help to protect it (see CITO) but, there are also many people who paid the big dollar (over $650 in Canada) for a top end GPS unit and some topo. software and want to rack up the finds regardless of what gets in their way. Just like all outdoor activities some controls have to be placed in effect to minimize the POSSIBLE damages. I live just outside Algonquin Park in Ontario and I can see that if you let every visitor to the area with a GPS unit go crazy there will be nothing “natural” left to cache in. Unfortunately many people forget that they are not alone in whatever quest or activity they participate in and while one persons footprint makes a small impact, if you multiply it out over hundreds or thousands of people the damage is overwhelming! Most environmental groups do not want to stop people from Geocaching or enjoying the outdoors, but just want people to be more responsible. The problems arise when either side gets stupid and jumps up on a soapbox and starts blurting out garbage (like some of the responses’ offered in this forum) so my advice is to make sure Geocacher’s stay cool and demonstrate that we can be responsible and that we are, as a group, concerned about the environment and our impact!

It makes sense to me to protect the natural environment and we should all be pushing towards this goal, if not stay in the city and look for micro caches!

I've been seeing a lot of these uncommented quotes lately, also a few empty topics. Do we have a technical difficulty in the forum software?

Thats crap. its not like were actually hurting the environment. we are simply going on an hike. and we happen to see a metal box, we open it up, sign a log, and move on. were not cutting down the trees or creating toxic spills everywhere. so tell the environmentalists that geocaching is a good thing because it is getting people up off the couch and into the woods to appreciate them more. also go tell them to yell at bush for wanting to drill in alaska.

Thats crap. its not like were actually hurting the environment. we are simply going on an hike. and we happen to see a metal box, we open it up, sign a log, and move on. were not cutting down the trees or creating toxic spills everywhere. so tell the environmentalists that geocaching is a good thing because it is getting people up off the couch and into the woods to appreciate them more.

Your are right on about this. Geocaching is generally low impact. Sure some people can find examples of damage, but overall the sport is quite benign. What geocaching does do is create new advocates for the special areas that caches are hidden. I know former couch potatos who are now outdoors enthusiasts. And when these areas are threatened there are more people to speak up for them.

also go tell them to yell at bush for wanting to drill in alaska.

Why? Drilling there would be a good thing.

Edited by briansnat

Environmentalists are trying to stop the production of food, fiber, fun, frivolity and anything else that gets us outside.

If you know one, ask them what they had for their last meal and then tell them to call the person that grew, processed, shipped, marketed, sold, and prepared it.

D

Why France ? Keep your trash, we got more than our share ! B)

Besides, Kalifornia is becoming more and more like France no ? :)

Same goes for anti-4x4 people. Off-roaders are people who genuinely love the outdoors, they aren't so dumb to realize if they destroy it no more hobby.

Well, unfortunately, some are dumb enough. I just updated the listing for my Forest Rescue cache because of off-roaders making new trails. Hopefully not geocachers. B)

Same goes for anti-4x4 people. Off-roaders are people who genuinely love the outdoors, they aren't so dumb to realize if they destroy it no more hobby.

Well, unfortunately, some are dumb enough. I just updated the listing for my Forest Rescue cache because of off-roaders making new trails. Hopefully not geocachers. B)

Oh, they can be very, very dumb. The damage from illegal 4x4 use around here is incredible. You'd think they were out to destroy as much land as possible. Where its legal and the trails can sustain 4x4 use its fine, but rogue riders seem to be the rule rather than the exception, at least in this area.

the ultimate responsibility ought to lie with the individual..if someone is sued,it would be the cacher,not this organisation itself..if a hunter hunts on private property the owner dosnt sue the state for alowing hunting,he sues the hunter..a general outline of suggested rules would be all thats needed..it should be then that the cacher himself should act with common sence,at his OWN risk..

Edited by team lagonda

I am almost sorry that I inquired! I had this vision of cachers as a very select group of people, at least several standard deviations above the mean. As I read the posts, I realized the spectrum is broad and goes in both directions. You have the sarcastic, inane, and the Jerry Springer mentalities, all the way to the people who are willing to spend inordinate amounts of time and money, to both protect the environment and preserve the sport of Geocaching. I'd like to thank all the folks that made thoughtful and thought provoking posts! I would also like to thank the way out wackos for the entertainment and I wish all a Merry Christmas, a Happy New Years, and great caching!.

D

Why France ? Keep your trash, we got more than our share ! :rolleyes:

Besides, Kalifornia is becoming more and more like France no ? :)

Apparently so. Some French immigrants introduced the brown garden snail (Helix aspersa) to California in the 1850s because they thought they were good to eat and now these pests are a real nuisance to gardeners and farmers and have displaced some native species. So yeah, I'll blame the French for our environmental problems before I would blame geocaching :cool:

D

Why France ? Keep your trash, we got more than our share ! :ph34r:

Besides, Kalifornia is becoming more and more like France no ? :wub:

Apparently so. Some French immigrants introduced the brown garden snail (Helix aspersa) to California in the 1850s because they thought they were good to eat and now these pests are a real nuisance to gardeners and farmers and have displaced some native species. So yeah, I'll blame the French for our environmental problems before I would blame geocaching <_<

Yep

This is typical of mankinds misguided efforts to "save the earth" or "improve the environment". We have a pest that is causing us trouble so the nature meddlers find a "natural enemy" of that pest somewhere overseas and a few are introduced. Problem solved.

But now we are overrun with foreign lady bugs that bite and kudzu vines that choke out most of our southern fauna to name just a couple of the nature meddlers' boondoggles.

Had we simply used pesticides, we would have been a lot better off- but nobody really knows the impact of anything until it is tried, then it is too late.

On the other hand, those anti-natural human creatures are the only ones that have the ability to rationally consider their effect on the environment and the only critter that can deliberately do anything about it.

D

Why France ? Keep your trash, we got more than our share ! <_<

Besides, Kalifornia is becoming more and more like France no ? :ph34r:

Apparently so. Some French immigrants introduced the brown garden snail (Helix aspersa) to California in the 1850s because they thought they were good to eat and now these pests are a real nuisance to gardeners and farmers and have displaced some native species. So yeah, I'll blame the French for our environmental problems before I would blame geocaching :wub:

So the cure is simple just to EAT them although not the best ! Besides they are a lot easier to catch than a deer or a wild boar :lol:

Now for the french immigrants themselves, OK eating them may not be advisable !

By the way I was just kidding of course.

When it comes to my spelling well we all can't be good at everything and my disability makes it very hard for me to spell. However I bet you can' t do some things that I can do well so should I take your oppion as less then everyone elses?

It seems that my original comment was taken as a personal attack and not as the contsructive criticism that is was intended, and has created quite a discussion while I have been down for the count with back problems.

If you are wishing to attain a professional position as a land manager that will reqire you to write any type of report or communication, you will be much more successfull if you take the time to proof read and spell check what you have written. An inablity to use written communication effectively may be a major stubling block in obtaining and/or advancincing in employment in any field.

I recieve written communications on a daily basis, and am less likely to give priority to one that is poorly written or one that isn't easily understandable.

Again, I wish you luck in your pursuit of your career, and being able to take constructive criticism will take you along way.

Have a happy and safe holiday season.

-Jim

I am almost sorry that I inquired! I had this vision of cachers as a very select group of people, at least several standard deviations above the mean. As I read the posts, I realized the spectrum is broad and goes in both directions. You have the sarcastic, inane, and the Jerry Springer mentalities, all the way to the people who are willing to spend inordinate amounts of time and money, to both protect the environment and preserve the sport of Geocaching. I'd like to thank all the folks that made thoughtful and thought provoking posts! I would also like to thank the way out wackos for the entertainment and I wish all a Merry Christmas, a Happy New Years, and great caching!.

I am glad that I could be of assistance to you on all levels.

-Jim

If you are wishing to attain a professional position as a land manager that will reqire you to write any type of report or communication, you will be much more successfull if you take the time to proof read and spell check what you have written. An inablity to use written communication effectively may be a major stubling block in obtaining and/or advancincing in employment in any field.

"obtain"

"require"

"successful"

"stumbling"

"advancing"

*Spell check complete*

Matthew 7:3 KJV

I have read many good arguements both for and against use and effects of public lands by geocachers. The things that we have to agree on (IMHO) are that:

1. Public lands are public, and should be open to all that will not abuse that trust. This said, we need to understand that some activities do cause damage to an area, for instance, dune buggies and ATVs will leave trails in grasslands and rip roots from soil if ridden in the same areas roughly.

2. It is the responsibility of all to take care of these public lands. Everyone needs to be responsible for their trash, and if need, someone else's trash. The rule we practiced in our Boy Scout troop many years ago was to leave it better and cleaner than we found it.

3. The occasional user permit or fee is necessary to patrol and/or care for these lands.

To ban all use (as some environmentalists would have) would mean that they too have no business there, and is unnecessary. Like previously mentioned, cachers and animals will use the route of least resistance, so who is to blame for a trail? Better, let's all try to teach others how to use the land without impacting it, and to take care of it in a responsible manner.

The rule we practiced in our Boy Scout troop many years ago was to leave it better and cleaner than we found it.

<snip>

To ban all use (as some environmentalists would have) would mean that they too have no business there, and is unnecessary.

The rule above, if practiced by all, not only will PRESERVE the land but will also REPAIR the land as necessary. This common sense rule should be "the rule" any time one is visiting ANY public place or is a guest ANYWHERE.

To ban all use is MISUSE of public land. By definition it is MY LAND. It is acceptable for "the cleaning crew" to put up a temporary sign for me to stay out while problems are corrected and it is acceptable to manage my land so that it gets used PROPERLY. But it is MISUSE for a land manager to ban my reasonable and proper use of the land.

In the U.S. we have processes to FIRE land managers that mismanage OUR land. I predict that if they DO, we WILL.

"obtain"

"require"

"successful"

"stumbling"

"advancing"

*Spell check complete*

Matthew 7:3 KJV

Did you read the scripture before you placed it one the board??

I was only trying to clarify that my reference to the posters poor use of spelling and grammer was meant to be constructive given the context of thier post. It was not meant to be a personal attack in any way, and it appears that my comment took on a life of it's own and appeared to make to poster feel the need to defend themselves more than was necessary.

Please feel free to spell check this and any of my future posts and I will make a better effort to try to spell even better.

Have a nice day.

-Jim

I was only trying to clarify that my reference to the posters poor use of spelling and grammer was meant to be constructive given the context of thier post. It was not meant to be a personal attack in any way, and it appears that my comment took on a life of it's own and appeared to make to poster feel the need to defend themselves more than was necessary.

Please feel free to spell check this and any of my future posts and I will make a better effort to try to spell even better.

Have a nice day.

-Jim

:laughing::laughing:

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

"on" (couldn't resist!)

As with all scripture, it applies to all mankind. Yes I read and yes I am guilty. That, my friend, is why we celebrate this great Holyday (misspelling intentional).

John 3:17 (any version you choose)

Just pointing out the irony, nothing more

wasn't intended to offend.

I too find it annoying to read all the various papers and articles with glaring mistakes on a daily basis. I have learned to laugh at them and they often "make my day". One of my coworkers always writes "due" when he means "do". I sometimes write back repeating the mistake to "poke fun at him" (which he does not even realise). :laughing:

At least I can readily tell who wrote that memo if he didn't sign it. :laughing:

We all make mistakes and actually the forums are such an insignificant medium that taking the time to check out everything you type is a little overboard and unnecessary.

While the post in reference had a LOT of glaring "typos" and misspellings, the poster DID state that he had a "disability" that contributed to the problems. Several have "jumped on him" for the speelelllng situation and I believe, while your suggestion that improving his spelling andd grammer would benefit him in the long run, we need to give him the benefit of the doubt relative to the "disability".

And perhaps he could be a good land manager with a good secretary and solve the problem admirably. :laughing:

"on" (couldn't resist!)

As with all scripture, it applies to all mankind. Yes I read and yes I am guilty. That, my friend, is why we celebrate this great Holyday (misspelling intentional).

John 3:17 (any version you choose)

Just pointing out the irony, nothing more

wasn't intended to offend.

I too find it annoying to read all the various papers and articles with glaring mistakes on a daily basis. I have learned to laugh at them and they often "make my day". One of my coworkers always writes "due" when he means "do". I sometimes write back repeating the mistake to "poke fun at him" (which he does not even realise). :laughing:

At least I can readily tell who wrote that memo if he didn't sign it. :laughing:

We all make mistakes and actually the forums are such an insignificant medium that taking the time to check out everything you type is a little overboard and unnecessary.

While the post in reference had a LOT of glaring "typos" and misspellings, the poster DID state that he had a "disability" that contributed to the problems. Several have "jumped on him" for the speelelllng situation and I believe, while your suggestion that improving his spelling andd grammer would benefit him in the long run, we need to give him the benefit of the doubt relative to the "disability".

And perhaps he could be a good land manager with a good secretary and solve the problem admirably. :D

The following corrections are provided by the punctuation police.

...they often "make my day."

...always writes "due" when he means "do."

...relative to the "disability."

realize, not realise

I'm assuming that other errors were intentional. :laughing:

A person is responsible for his or her own ability to communicate and to cache with respect for nature and for others. Learning disabilities create more challenges, but most can be overcome. Yes, I work with LD students at school. Everyone makes mistakes; at least I do on a daily basis. Some mistakes may even exist in this posting ;). However, that is no reason to rely on someone else to solve our problems in relation to punctuation or property damage. Asking for help is fine; just don't play the victim. I doubt PyroDave meant to create that impression with his excuse for poor spelling. I also do not believe that undiscovered meant to personally attack him. Hopefully, this post won't make you feel that way. ;)

PyroDave, it's not a battle between cachers and environmentalists. Obviously, miscommunication occurred in your previous situation as briansnat and Lep referenced. If a problem exists with a specific cache, identify the cache and the problem, then keep seeking resolution with discussion and reason, not prohibitions against those who could best assist your cause.

I was only trying to clarify that my reference to the posters poor use of spelling and grammar was meant to be constructive given the context of their post.

Why are you moaning about his grammar and spelling in the first place? So $&*(&)^__& what is there is a few mistakes? You got the message didn’t you? :laughing:

Come on all your spelling and grammar police, have a life, do something better than criticizing people about trivial things in life like spelling and grammar. :laughing::laughing::D;)

The topic of the post is: "Geocaching in Danger", NOT "Please look for a spelling mistake and crucify the offender"

Edited by geocacher_coza

realize, not realise

I use British spellings whenever I get a chance because they're cool. :o Either spelling is perfectly acceptable.

OBTW are YOU the one that corrected Vice President Quayle? :D

Oh, and I believe the full stop belongs outside the quotes in the instances cited because the entire sentence is not a quote, just the single word that is in quotes, which happens to occur at the end of a sentence... thus if I had had a word AFTER the quote, the full stop would obviously not have been included in the quote.

It should be obvious from this series of posts that spelling and grammar are variable in each others' understanding at best and therefore a very poor thing to argue about- unless you are an English teacher grading a paper.

So anyway, since you totally missed MY point that the spelling mistakes people make in posts are irrelevant, I'll state in more precisely.

IMHO, spelling and grammer mistakes in forum posts are irrelevant as long as the meaning is understood. Apparently THAT is the hard part! :D

GDAE

Why are you moaning about his grammar and spelling in the first place?

Come on all your spelling and grammar police, have a life, do something better than criticizing people about trivial things in life like spelling and grammar. :D:D:D:o

Please don't get upset. We may tease one another, but we are not truly trying to be grammar police. However, I do think briansnat's earlier point in this thread about communicating clearly is significant and responds to your question.

"...what is there is a few mistakes? You got the message didn’t you?"

Actually, no. It was quite difficult at times to understand PyroDave's message due to his poor spelling/grammar. In fact, I believe it may be part of the reason his earlier communication with Groundspeak failed when he tried to report a problem. Of course, we can and probably should overlook minor typos and spelling errors, but ignoring them on a larger scale (way more than just a "few mistakes") can lead to more problems. As a result, the issue actually may hinder PyroDave's ability to resolve the environmental issue he was trying to address. That's why I can't agree that spelling and grammar are trivial.

To stay on topic, I hope you still read the last part of my posting concerning a solution to the environmentalism/caching issue. I think if he's able to specify the cache and problem, then communicate it clearly, then the TPTB have repeatedly shown their willingness to work with land managers.

ok go to wikipedia and look up dave ulmer he started geocaching in the story it describes how he knew stuff like this would happen.

And GC has responded to those concerns by making certain rule changes such as forbidding digging (which would have excluded HIS cache from listing).

It has been my observation all along that GC and the caching community in general are very responsive and very responsible in conservational concerns.

In regard to the spelling and grammer thing, the post that set that off was not even the OP. The OP was about "save the orca" people saying environmentalists are trying to outlaw geocaching.

I don't see where there has been any failure to communicate about the OP problem, just a total lack of substance in the post. Since there was no real topic to begin with other than a vague "we're poor stewards of the environment" because of an orca or something, there really hasn't been any pertinent discussion of the topic.

Thus the degredation into a spelling and grammar fest. (I know that is a fragment) :o

I am sure that if the problem with the orca is brought to GC's attention in a substantive manner, GC will address it according to its merits.

Many interesting points raised in this thread:

Apparently so. Some French immigrants introduced the brown garden snail (Helix aspersa) to California in the 1850s because they thought they were good to eat and now these pests are a real nuisance to gardeners and farmers and have displaced some native species. So yeah, I'll blame the French for our environmental problems before I would blame geocaching :P

And the Italians introduced the dandelion. Quite an annoying weed. As is purple loosestrife (accidentally introduced from the Netherlands.) Starling were introduced to the USA as part of a Shakespearean Garden, because they are mentioned in a Shakespear play.

evrything in here reminds me of the wut i saw on the late show the other day. they showed the burning yule log and had rolling credits giving an al gore speach about how yule logs cause global warming.

PyroDave may have may have a disability, but it's difficult to read and comprehend messages written in poor and misspelt English. As he says, he doesn't write often, but felt strongly enough about this subject to do so. A Spell Check program would definitely help. On the other hand, some people have little comprehension of the written language, and seem to have little interest in learning it. It can be difficult to take these people seriously. (As for me, my fingers are too big for the keyboard...)

As to environmental damage caused by geocachers, I have seen it during my meanderings through the forests of northwest Jersey, and the urban parks of northeast Jersey and New York City. It is minimal compared to the damages caused by off-road vehicles in the forests, and slobs everywhere. As a trail maintainer, sadly, my major job is to carry out beer cans and other assorted garbage.