Intro to Geocaching Video

Team-Tiki

Hey Gang,

My teammate and I made a brief introduction to geocaching video and posted it up on Youtube. It doesn't go into the rules or etiquette of the sport but it will give you a high level overview of what geocaching is. It certainly will not be useful to anyone who has actually gone looking for a cache, but it may help you explain the game to a muggle. I passed the link around to some of my family members and it got them interested. If you want to have a look the video is available here:

Thanks!

-Team-Tiki

Pretty good. Makes my video attempt look lame.

Thanks Brian! It was getting dark and it was a gloomy day to begin with so the video came out a lot more blue than we wanted. I think we will re-shoot it with more detail and better lighting, but I don't think it's bad for a first try.

Nice! :ph34r:

What are triknets? :ph34r: (I would also add extra batteries to the list) :anibad:

That's what I get for not proof reading my titles. By the time I caught it, my enthusiasm for editing had faded so I just left it. You get a cookie for being the first to call me on it, scratch that...you get some triknets.

Well, the cache page doesn't mention anything about spoiler videos... lol

Great job on the flick! I'm going to email it to a few buddies who think i'm weird.

After Woodlit's suggestion, I added a note to the cache page. Thanks for the idea Woodlit. I'm glad that you guys like the video, it was a first attempt for us, but this gives us the motivation to rattle off a few more. Thanks again!

Nice! :blink:

What are triknets? :ph34r: (I would also add extra batteries to the list) :anibad:

That's what I get for not proof reading my titles. By the time I caught it, my enthusiasm for editing had faded so I just left it. You get a cookie for being the first to call me on it, scratch that...you get some triknets.

No worries, I think you did a fantastic job the whole thing. I had to replay it 5 times to figure out what triknets were. :ph34r:

What's your next project? Advanced geocaching? Hunting a micro? :ph34r:

Nice! :blink:

No worries, I think you did a fantastic job the whole thing. I had to replay it 5 times to figure out what triknets were. :ph34r:

What's your next project? Advanced geocaching? Hunting a micro? :ph34r:

Well, we had intended to ask for some advice on that. We wanted to do a series of videos and expand on the introduction. Get into a little more detail on how to read about a cache, and what to expect based off of the description. We also wanted to do some videos on more 'exotic' caches, stuff in unusual places or ones that require a little more effort to get to. Also, as you mentioned some stuff on micros would be fun.

Does anyone have any suggestions for future videos? Is there something that you think would be helpful or beneficial to explain? With the weather here, we may be doing a "How to cache in the snow" video soon. Ha!

Thanks again for all the encouragement, we appreciate it!

How to cache in the snow would be a great idea.

Hunting micros would be a tough one. I'd imagine it would be hard to explain "stealth" to somebody, while you have a camera crew following you around a walmart parking lot. Draw attention? nah

You should do a container special. One of my favorite tv shows is "Ask This Old House"

One segment is four guys standing around a workshop table explaining new tools for do-it-yourselfers who like to work on your home. You could do the same thing, with a cache of each size on the table. Explain the sizes, and give ideas for good containers.

You could have another like that Andy guy from 60 minutes. Sit at your desk and explain the rules.

Just suggestions.

Keep up the good work, I like the idea a lot. I have those flyers from the geocacher-u site to give to muggles in case of an emergency, but i'm sure this would be helpful to the people who are actualy interested.

Your video did a great job of explaining and showing what occurs once you have a cache target identified, the hunt, the search, the find and the logging. If I was a newbie I'd be saying "now that's a cool way to get out and do something instead of sittin around doin nothin".

My next set of questions would be: Where do I go to get cache info, what's near me, how do I know that cache is for me (difficulty, terrain, gotchas, etc), what have others said about this cache, how do I log my experience... in other words, what do I do before and after.

Could be like a top 10 things to do before and after a cache. Not too detailed (ie no need to go into the details of Pocket Queries, downloading to PDAs, etc....... ) If I'd seen a video like this when I was starting I may not have selected a category 4 difficulty as my 1st hunt (<_<

Edited by CondorTrax

I really enjoyed your video! I really liked how you sped up the video! B) There are many times I spend quite a while looking for the cache too. Maybe we should bring a box of Wheaties along! <_< Anyhow, I grew up just north of there in Potomac, Md. I used go hiking around there all the time. I always thought it would be cool to go back there to do some caching. But now I feel like I have sort of done that by watching your cool video! Thanks! :huh:

Great Work, Team Tiki! I've got some footage in the can from down in SC when I got a few caches down there, with the idea of doing something just like this. I'm back in Alexandria, VA, now and would love to help out with any future shoots you might want to work on.

As for suggestions on other topics, I like the ideas mentioned above. One that I was working on was a cache rescue and cache maintenance videos. Oh that we could have had footage of me going tail over head to rescue the remains of a muggled cache...

Regarding more exotic spots, I'm trying to put together a team now to go after Blood and Guts in Virginia (GC73C2) now. If you're interested, that entire process has the makings of a great video.

Aweome video! Even awesome-r sweater.

Great effort in general.

Nice! :mad:

What are triknets? ;) (I would also add extra batteries to the list) :santa:

Is that trakable?