Geocaching Diabetes Coin?

Fluttershy

Geocaching Diabetes TB

If you haven't read the front page on Geocaching, lately... Geocahing.com is supporting

the Diabetes foundation by sending out these Diabetes TB's.

I think it would be wonderful if A Geocoin of the same Blue Circle (Just like their Pin, Shown with the TB) was made as well, A Keeper along with a Traveler version would be interesting.

If Geocaching.com would allow us to create a Geocoin using their design, I think it would be great if a group effort was made, with the proceeds going back to the Geocaching itself to promote Diabetes Awareness.

So, it would be a Coin made by the Geocoin Community, giving back to Geocaching, itself...

Is this idea too out of the ball park?

I'm a II Diabetic, myself... (I don't usually share this, but... I think it's for a great cause).

I certainly would help contribute toward creating a Coin. (And think how lovely it would look with the TB itself, attached)

~Fluttershy :)

Edited by Fluttershy

There are a lot of coins out with no meaning or for commercial profit. To support reasearch and awareness of this illness would be a great cause to manufacture a coin.

We as a family never thought about diabetes until our litttle one (she is 5) got it in summer. We have no history of diabetes in family and it struck us like lightening. We have learned about it but we are still struggeling to live with it and to cache on as a family team what we do almost each weekend.

Each day 200 children a diagnosed with diabetes and 280 million. people have it already. It is the desease of our century and we have to do something about it.

It´s a great idea which we would fully support to make people aware it.

I think the blue circle may be the UN logo for their campaign for Diabetes awareness. If that is the case it might be a little more difficult to get permission.

Also since there is a TB already like that how about a coin that is the same concept but unique unto

Our family has been stuck by Type I juvenile Diabetes a couple of times. So this is a cause that is near and dear to our family.

I am willing to help with any coin and its production.

I believe the blue circle design (the pin) is from the Diabetes Foundation and is the logo for the Unite for Diabetes campaign. And if so, it would be that organization one would need to seek permission from and arrange proceed donations to.

All Groundspeak would have to do is approve the coin artwork as they usually do with trackable coins.

True. My point was more directed towards the fact that Groundspeak is obviously working with them on the joint TB promotion, so it would stand to reason that a quick chat with somebody at Groundspeak (who is likely more accessible than the Foundation) may shed light on whether or not Groundspeak would have issues with somebody piggy-backing on thier promotion.

I was thinking about this last night, so when I saw this thread, I decided to throw together something quick and dirty. Remember this is a five minute layout, but I thought I would share it here to see what everyone thinks. The white around the center square would be cut out.

f2a8d7b8-2624-4315-a450-98c1080aab8c.jpg

I also like the simplicity of the circle and I think it would make a very elegant coin.

21edea1d-92a3-4bca-9bcd-7d38e5c00c75.jpg

I was thinking about this last night, so when I saw this thread, I decided to throw together something quick and dirty. Remember this is a five minute layout, but I thought I would share it here to see what everyone thinks. The white around the center square would be cut out.

f2a8d7b8-2624-4315-a450-98c1080aab8c.jpg

I also like the simplicity of the circle and I think it would make a very elegant coin.

21edea1d-92a3-4bca-9bcd-7d38e5c00c75.jpg

mmmm, blue donuts.

Edited by BlueDeuce

The other thing we may need to keep in mind besides whether or not the logos could be used is how the coin manufacturing would be paid for, I mean places are probably not just going to donate a whole batch of coins. Someone should maybe set up an account that can be donated to, with the those funds being used to pay for the creation of the coin. Then by doing this no profit would be made on the coin and all proceeds from coin sales would be donated to the diabetes foundation.

For example, a webpage could be set up where it will have a paypal link that can allow you to donate for the production. It would work the same way as buying a coin. I think that paypal will even waive it's transaction fee if they know you are donating the money to a non-profit organization. Then when enough money has been amassed production can be started. We could see if one of the geocoin sellers would be willing to sell the coin in their store or something.

Keep in mind that I really don't know much about this, I am just throwing out some ideas. :)

Edited by Team Macha

Although it is a good idea, at this point, we will not be considering a trackable Unite for Diabetes geocoin. There are many issues relating to logo usage and, for the time being, we really want to keep the focus on the U4D Travel Bug promotion.

Too bad. The blue circle would make a cool coin and could be sold to generate money for the charity in addition to generating awareness through cache travel. However, I can see where having both a coin and travel bug could get rather confusing to the average cacher and also in keeping the current promotion separate. Perhaps it's something Groundspeak could spearhead in the future though.

Although it is a good idea, at this point, we will not be considering a trackable Unite for Diabetes geocoin. There are many issues relating to logo usage and, for the time being, we really want to keep the focus on the U4D Travel Bug promotion.

Too bad. The blue circle would make a cool coin and could be sold to generate money for the charity in addition to generating awareness through cache travel. However, I can see where having both a coin and travel bug could get rather confusing to the average cacher and also in keeping the current promotion separate. Perhaps it's something Groundspeak could spearhead in the future though.

Yeah like maybe support The Alzheimer's Foundation.

Yeah like maybe support The Alzheimer's Foundation.

Or

The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (www.lls.org)

Prostate Cancer Foundation (www.prostatecancerfoundation.org)

:ph34r:

I was looking at the TB itself today, on the Geocaching front page, and then kept gazing at the attached Pin.

I kept thinking... I wanted it to be a coin... :ph34r:

I understand the comments here, though... this one would be difficult to create especially since

so many are already involved with the TB's and the idea itself.

The TB idea itself is the whole idea, really. Not something attached to it. Not a like-minded Geocoin.

The Coin would probably be taken, where the TB will have a longer life as a Traveler... serving its purpose to educate about Diabetes.

But again,

I would still like it to be a coin, too. :ph34r:

You're talking to a fresh Geocoin addict, here... you know. :anibad:

Edited by Fluttershy