Help me decide on a new handheld GPS!

markz68

I currently use a Garmin eTrex Legend for Geocaching and a Garmin i2 for driving.

I am wanting to upgrade from my Garmin eTrex Legend.

So far I have looked online at the Garmin GPSMAP 60cx/60cxs, the Garmin GPSMAP 76cx/cxs, the Magellan eXplorist 600, and the Magellan eXplorist XL.

I would like to spend less than $350-$375 if possible.

I don't NEED the built-in compass or altimeter but would like those models if they are in my price range.

I don't NEED the handheld for driving purposes, although I'd play with that if I had it.

I won't be using the handheld for hunting or fishing. I want it strictly for geocaching.

Which should I buy and why?

I currently use a Garmin eTrex Legend for Geocaching and a Garmin i2 for driving.

I am wanting to upgrade from my Garmin eTrex Legend.

So far I have looked online at the Garmin GPSMAP 60cx/60cxs, the Garmin GPSMAP 76cx/cxs, the Magellan eXplorist 600, and the Magellan eXplorist XL.

I would like to spend less than $350-$375 if possible.

I don't NEED the built-in compass or altimeter but would like those models if they are in my price range.

I don't NEED the handheld for driving purposes, although I'd play with that if I had it.

I won't be using the handheld for hunting or fishing. I want it strictly for geocaching.

Which should I buy and why?

My suggestion is the Garmin 60 CSX

First of all, it is in your price range, it has the built in compass and altimeter (great for geocaching), it will autoroute for driving, and has a great display and a ton of features. I am not trying to push something i own, as i do not own one. But I have used one, and have to say it's the best handheld I've ever used. If you don't want the CSX, save a few bucks and get the CX - doesn't have the electronic compass and altimeter. Just my thoughts.

Having used one with a compass and without I'd rather not spend the extra for the compass.

In your case I'd stick with Garmin since you know the menu's etc. though the Magellan ain't broke.

The 60Cx would work fine. The CSx would work as well. No reason not to use the 76 series other than if you don't like how they feel.

Though you didn't mention it the color legend would do you a good job. The x versions improve on the Garmin's reception at the expense of battery life. Though the battery life will likely be better than you are used too.

Though you didn't mention it the color legend would do you a good job. The x versions improve on the Garmin's reception at the expense of battery life. Though the battery life will likely be better than you are used too.

Color does help a bit when the map gets crowded with features. Shopping around you could probably get even the 60CSx in your price range with the rebate.

Garmin 60CSx, period.

Geesh, why so big and with "period" when the answer should have been 60Cx? He wrote in CAPS that he DON'T NEED compass and altimeter!

Ok it may be 50$ more (only for some) but maybe he prefer traditional compass and really has no need for altimeter? I know I would go for a Cx before a CSx.

Garmin 60CSx, period.

Geesh, why so big and with "period" when the answer should have been 60Cx? He wrote in CAPS that he DON'T NEED compass and altimeter!

Ok it may be 50$ more (only for some) but maybe he prefer traditional compass and really has no need for altimeter? I know I would go for a Cx before a CSx.

As my pappy once told me, "Better to have it and NOT need it, than to need it and NOT have it". Doing some good shopping, the 60CSx can be had for between 300 and 325. You never know when you might get a chance to do some Mountain Caching and the Altimeter is a huge help. I have one cache at 13,100 feet and another once at 12,500 feet. There are few in my state over 14,000 feet. Taking an up close picture of your GPS showing 14,000+ feet is quite a keepsake. The highest I have had mine was 13,900 feet when attempting to climb a 14er and got driven back down by the snow, in AUGUST.

Besides, I like big letters! Helps me compensate for......................never mind.

Edited by Inmountains

Garmin 60CSx, period.

Well, actually he said he doesn't NEED the compass and altimeter, but would LIKE these models if they were in his price range. :ph34r: Picky aren't I !! :ph34r:

Thanks to all of you for your input. I have decided to go with the very popular 60cx or 60csx. I haven't decided which one. The best prices on each that I could find are only $25 apart, so I might go with the csx.

I know I should wait until the post Christmas sales, but it would kill me to have to wait. You all know what I mean there! I'll probably place my order in the next day or so (more than likely it will be tonight!)

Thanks to all of you for your input. I have decided to go with the very popular 60cx or 60csx. I haven't decided which one. The best prices on each that I could find are only $25 apart, so I might go with the csx.

I know I should wait until the post Christmas sales, but it would kill me to have to wait. You all know what I mean there! I'll probably place my order in the next day or so (more than likely it will be tonight!)

Garmin is offering a $50 rebate through 12/31/06 on these models.

http://www.garmin.com/whatsNew/currentprom...trex_series.pdf

But I believe you must buy through an authorized dealer. Most eBay sales won't qualify for the rebate.

Garmin is offering a $50 rebate through 12/31/06 on these models.

http://www.garmin.com/whatsNew/currentprom...trex_series.pdf

But I believe you must buy through an authorized dealer. Most eBay sales won't qualify for the rebate.

Thanks! I have the rebate form downloaded already. I plan to by from PCNation since they have the best price I can find from a Bizrate-certified site.