Garmin 60cx/csx - Three Basic Questions - Opinions Needed!

JennyW

Hi guys!

A few things for the Garmin 60cx / 60csx.

- While driving, are the buttons big enough to press/easy?

- While driving again, lol, is it easy to see in your opinion?

- Driving again - does it mount to the car well?

Sorry for the blitz! It's just getting short to x-mas and I need to get this guy before the stores get even craZier!!! %)

Thanks so much!

Jenny :)

In answer to your questions.

The buttons are ok and I don't have a problem with them except at night. The only problem I have while driving is if I decided to enter a new destination. It is really not very safe to be spelling out destinations while driving.

It is very easy to see. This is the best screen of any GPS that I have used. I also like the beeps and chirps better then the voice directions on the Magellan.

I use a bean bag mount which is part of the auto navigation kit. This includes the bean bag mount a permanent mount and the City Navigator software which you will need for proper auto routing. the bean bag mount works best for me because I travel on business and rent cars all the time. This is easily transferable from car to car. It stays where you put it unless you are bouncing along off road then it can move around.

Be very carefull about leaving it mounted in your car when not in use. I found out the hard way the excessive heat can cause major problems with the unit. It also makes it a good target for theives. I now put my new one on the floor under the dash whenever I stop the car.

1. I don't have a problem with the buttons while driving. Maybe a little difficulty at night, but since I know which button is which after using it awhile, it's not a big deal.

My biggest issue is finding new locations/POIs while driving. I don't like either of my "find" screen options, which are either to have it in some default order which I hate, or to have it in order by my last accessed (which means that "food" or "gas" are never in the same place). It's also a bit difficult to do a search by name or by category while driving. But all-in-all it works ok, and those issues are kindof minor

2. Yes, it's very easy to see. You can specify different colors/brightness levels, and even specify a different color for day and night (It switches automatically at sunset/sunrise). I did have an issue with the car vibration making it bounce a bit and it was hard to read, but that has more to do with the mount I'm using than the unit (see my comments below regarding that).

3. I use the default suction-cup mount, and it works...uhm...ok. It's cheap and only faces straight ahead (so I can't curve it towards me) but I don't seem to have a problem with it. It has fallen off two or three times over the last couple of months, but it's pretty easy just to stick back on. As said earlier, I did have an issue with car vibration, but only if the unit was "free floating" on the mount....I've since figured out to make sure I have the mount positioned so that the antenna is touching the windshield, which steadies it.

- While driving, are the buttons big enough to press/easy?

Yes - but I never need to press them. Set it up and off you go.

- While driving again, lol, is it easy to see in your opinion?

Depends where you put it!! Where mine is it is fine (I has to say that)

- Driving again - does it mount to the car well?

Yes - I have the dashboard mounting kit.

I do hope you also use it outdoors where it was designed for!! :):D:D

Edited by SandyGarrity

1. I use the default suction-cup mount, and it works...uhm...ok. It's cheap and only faces straight ahead (so I can't curve it towards me)

Are you sure you can't position it better? You should be able to turn the cradle, and stick the mount to the windshield on an angle. That should allow you to angle the GPS in whatever way you want.

1. I use the default suction-cup mount, and it works...uhm...ok. It's cheap and only faces straight ahead (so I can't curve it towards me)

Are you sure you can't position it better? You should be able to turn the cradle, and stick the mount to the windshield on an angle. That should allow you to angle the GPS in whatever way you want.

It may depend on which suction mount you have. The Garmin suction mount for my GPS V (about 2 yrs old) will not rotate, so it just points straight ahead.

The new Garmin suction mount I bought for my 60CSx allows the unit to rotate so you can attach the suction cup to different angled windscreens. This also allows you to mount it to the window at a slight angle so it is pointing at you and then rotate the unit so it is straight up and down as you describe above.

I take my mount with me when I travel on business to use in rental cars, so I'm frequently putting it up and taking it down. It is a pain to try and get the angle just right each time so I just stick it back up. To be honest, it is never really an issue, the screen is bright and very readable and from experience I know which button is which without having to read them.

I double NightStalker's comment about not searching for POIs while driving. I will pull over if I need to search for anything.

It is a great unit, but it's real power is when it is off the highway.

On the mounting option, I would suggest looking into the RAM mounts. I just bought one and the wife promptly wrapped it for Chrismas, but in the short time we spent together (I just realized how addicted I am), I found it to be very sturdy and it will ajust to just about any configuration. Price was just over $30 so its a good price also.

If you do get one you may find that it's hard to put the unit into the mount, you can file down some of the inside of the mount where the button clip goes. RAM has told me that this is acceptable and does not do anything to harm the warranty. They make it tight like that so that t hose who may have bike (ATV and Motorcycle) mounts can have it tight. You likey won't need it that tight in the car.

Good Luck

Joe

Driving again - does it mount to the car well?

You can spend 30 or more bucks on mount or if the dashboard configuration works, a simple $3 cell phone swivel mount will do the trick. Here is the setup I have in my Honda CRV

- in this position, your unit can achieve enough strong signal to compute your route?

It may depend on which suction mount you have. The Garmin suction mount for my GPS V (about 2 yrs old) will not rotate, so it just points straight ahead.

He said he had the default mount, which I assumed to be the Garmin mount, which I also assumed can be rotated like the etrex mount. Perhaps I make too many assumptions!