TB Unite for Diabetes, International promotion

AV Dezign

Got mine today. It's headed for Venado Tuerto, Argentina. Interesting history about the city which was founded by the son of two Irish immigrants. Closest cache is about 130 miles away and has yet to be found. Population is less than 100,000 - chances are not many are geocachers!

Vamanos amigos! :santa:

I got mine today, it's fitting that I requested and got a TB about diabetes while I was getting a cache ready to honor my mom. She died on August 1, 2006 from kidney failure after having a stroke and a leg amputated due to diabetes. She died 11 days before her 62nd birthday.

Gods I miss her. :)

Can somebody help me, this is my first travel bug that I've owned, and I'm really confused. I went to activate it, but I don't know what the activation code is. The bug didn't come with any paperwork or anything, just the bug, dog tag and a small zip lock bag (and three Styrofoam peanuts).

Also, when I search for the actual tracking number, it says it was released on the fourth of December in Pakistan, but its origin is New York City.

I just got it in the mail today, I don't understand how it was registered elsewhere already.

Tomorrow (well really today) is supposed to be the last nice day and I was hoping to go out and drop this off somewhere, so any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

We were honored to have been able to "get the scoop" on this topic and share the info first!

We think it's a GREAT endeavor and hope it make a difference with the awareness of diabetes. I've always thought that cachers are a great bunch of people. Sociable, CITOs, sharing locations (and of course swag) with others, and now helping out with a good cause. One of the reasons we love creating our weekly audio show all about geocaching!

iTrax (Sonny)

(not topic related link removed by moderator)

This post has been edited by Eartha: Dec 9 2006, 07:04 AM

Why was our link removed? It was VERY topic related. It was a link to our show, the one in which we interviewed Bryan from Groundspeak where he first introduced this project publicly for the first time, anywhere.

http://www.podcacher.com/?p=327

Please advise. Thanks.

Edited by iTrax and FoxTail

Both my grandmother and my grandfather died from complications from diabetes. My father currently is in the early stages of it, so i'm sure i'll be doomed to have it.

Having said that, please let me know when you plan to release the "Unite AGAINST Diabetes" travel bugs.

Edited by Taranis

I ordered one at least 11 days ago. A student of mine ordered one no earlier and got his last week. Has anybody else not received one in a timely manner?

I have had a cache dedicated to diabetes http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...15-4a488c7a0359 for almost two years now and my daughter has it. She was diagnosed with type 1 at 19, not quite two years ago. Getting one of these bugs is of utmost importance to me.

Tom

G'day

I was just wondering if anyone outside of the US had received a bug? I requested mine within minutes of the first heads-up posting and before it made it to the Geocaching.com website but nothing has arrived. Similiar experiences is being reported by other Australian cachers.

Questions are now being asked about the definiton of the "world." <_<

Andrew

I just received mine in the mail today, like a surprise Christmas present! I'm so excited. I have a good friend whose father has Type 1 diabetes, and also a friend from my last job with Type 1 and three wonderful children. My TB is headed to Ruma, Serbia and Montenegro. There are four caches in that country, apparently, and one is temporarily disabled. the closest one is 17 miles away, and has never been found. Here's hoping someone can take my bug to that cache, GCRCHR, and then on to Ruma. I think I'll laminate a card to attach to my TB, listing its destination and goal of awareness, so folks can move it in the right direction. A little Sun Tzu is a good thing, after all: it's all about knowing your enemy (diabetes). If you don't know it, how can you defeat it? Just my $0.02.

G'day

I was just wondering if anyone outside of the US had received a bug? I requested mine within minutes of the first heads-up posting and before it made it to the Geocaching.com website but nothing has arrived. Similiar experiences is being reported by other Australian cachers.

Questions are now being asked about the definiton of the "world." :(

Andrew

I signed up on the launch day and I'm still waiting too.

Edited by Tizzie

How about swapping them around via snail mail to help them reach their goal locations faster?

I swapped one going to North Carolina for one going to New York! The NY one is now 20 miles from it's goal!

Now we've got one going to Egypt. Anyone in Egypt got one going to the US that they'd like to swap? How about Middle East to North America?

How about swapping them around via snail mail to help them reach their goal locations faster?

I swapped one going to North Carolina for one going to New York! The NY one is now 20 miles from it's goal!

Now we've got one going to Egypt. Anyone in Egypt got one going to the US that they'd like to swap? How about Middle East to North America?

Good idea. Check out the World Release Register in my signature.

Andrew

I placed my order on December 6. I never got any sort of email confirmation or anything - and I haven't received my TB yet. Any ideas? Did anyone get a confirmation email or any such notification?

I was hoping to get this one by Christmas, but can't find info on whether or not I'm actually going to receive one at all, or that my order was received and/or processed.

Jenn

I was (and am) so excited to hear about this cause, because diabetes runs strong in my family, that as soon as I saw the sign up to receive a travel bug, I did it. My parents did the same thing--we're all avid cachers--so when they got theirs and I didn't get mine, I was sad. My mom said, "ours just came in the mail a couple of days ago, start watching your mail, you should get one." So I waited and waited, and finally after a week I got the little padded envelope!

...but no travel bug. It seems someone forgot to adhere the envelope. :(

backgg2.png

frontng6.png

It's okay though, the little guy is already on his way. I was going to name him King Of The Road in memory of my grandpa, but it seems he's too stubborn to make a stop home before traveling. He just never got to be logged in the first place. :huh: If anyone sees a lonely tag floating around, give him a good home for me.

The Aiud, Romania Unite for Diabetes TB is on its way, starting its journey in Kettering OH, USA. One heck of a long way to go. A mere 6000 miles as the crow flies.

tb.jpg

That is the TB sitting on my deck in suburban Dayton Ohio. I have had it a few days, I applied some time last week, so quick turnaround.

I am excited to see what happens here and I hope we all get great success!

Reference TB1BFX0

Todd