TB Unite for Diabetes, International promotion

AV Dezign

GC is now doing a new TB challenge with "Unite for Diabetes - The Campaign for UN Resolution on Diabete", check it out here:

http://www.unitefordiabetes.org/

And this time, unlike the Jeeps, this one is international, so anybody can enter to get a TB and help awareness about diabetes

You can fill out the form for a TB here:

http://unite.geocaching.com/

313655753_e0882ff861.jpg

Edited by AV Dezign

That form asks for your caching name AND password!

That's a new one. It links to gc, but wow, that's a bit intimidating.

Edited to add that the password part worried me --until an official announcement was posted on the forums.

Edited by Neos2

That form asks for your caching name AND password!

That a new one. It evidently links to gc, but wow, that's a bit intimidating.

The signup form is actually at http://unite.geocaching.com/signup/ . I'm going to guess that they want your username and password to verify that you're actually a geocacher and not a muggle who happened across the link and thought "Hmm... something for free!"

I'm also going to guess that since the form is in the "unite" subdomain instead of the "www" subdomain, that's why it can't read your cookies to see if you're already signed in or not.

Edited by The Cheeseheads

I think I'm going to pass... I know it's just a game, but I still won't hand out my password and TRUST that the folks who have access to it won't do anything stupid. Get rid of the pesky password requirement and I *might* think about it...

By the way, while I know that diabetes is a noble cause (my cousin has type one), I have to wonder if we as a geocaching community are starting down the slippery slope towards commercialization. I thought that caches were not supposed to promote an agenda and I kinda thought it applied towards bugs as well? A few put out by individuals... fine, but a Jeep advertisement or diabetes or Kinky Friedman for President... Are bugs and coins going to turn into the paid advertisements of the gc game? Go find a cache and oh!, this cache and its website are supported by the following organizations who have been so generous as to provide trinkets for us to move from cache to cache. As proof that this is not an advertisement, we'll offer prizes to people who provide pictures for us to use in future promotional activities.

I thought the gc community was doing really well providing bugs and coins on its own and I greatly respected the general lack of commercialization of the activity. Knowing that Jeremy needs to make a few bucks to pay rent and electricity for the servers, I'm all for buying TB tags and the other revenue generating methods that he has developed. This Jeep and diabetes thing however... well, my girlie intuition is starting to kick in...

:laughing: it is a true promotion. we heard brian from Groundspeak talk about it! I signed up for mine..... :laughing: I cant wait to help!

my guess with the password thing is because they only want to hand out one to every cacher and so to make sure you are who you say you are they require it....like said before unite.geocaching.com is a subdomain of geocaching. so it DOES come from GC

Edited by xpunkx & Julez

I suppose for those who aren't comfortable with the username and password requirement, you could always change your GC.com password after requesting a TB (or if you don't want to remember a new password, change it, request the bug, then change the PW back to what it was originally). Not sure though if that would mess anything up down the line, but I wouldn't think they would need the information beyond the initial verification that one is a registered Geocacher.

I ordered one in memory of my dad. While at geowoodstock 4 the day before the big event I received a phone call...."your dad's getting a new kidney", 47 days later he was dead. The excitement did not last long, I miss him!

I'm happy to help and a HUGE shout out to GC.com...good job guys!

Pepper

They will have my name, address, phone number etc. But they are not getting me to put my name and password in an unsecured web page. If someone wants one so bad they will just create a new account or steal the bug from a cache. So why make me give my user name and password?

Um, every time you log in to GC.com you submit your username and password over an unsecured web page.

I signed up, don't see any real trouble with name/password. i would hate for 20,000 muggles simply request one of these and defeat the purpose of a good cause. If we (those who geocache) can help share more information about a WORLDWIDE medical problem through a simple TB then I say: let's do it! I am sure there are thousands of cachers WORLDWIDE that this TB may help save their life or a family member, friend, etc... This TB is like lance armstrong's yellow wristband, and it's free to share!

I will be proud the help this TB along it's way! :laughing:

Edited by mdegarmo

I think I'm going to pass... I know it's just a game, but I still won't hand out my password and TRUST that the folks who have access to it won't do anything stupid. Get rid of the pesky password requirement and I *might* think about it...

By the way, while I know that diabetes is a noble cause (my cousin has type one), I have to wonder if we as a geocaching community are starting down the slippery slope towards commercialization. I thought that caches were not supposed to promote an agenda and I kinda thought it applied towards bugs as well? A few put out by individuals... fine, but a Jeep advertisement or diabetes or Kinky Friedman for President... Are bugs and coins going to turn into the paid advertisements of the gc game? Go find a cache and oh!, this cache and its website are supported by the following organizations who have been so generous as to provide trinkets for us to move from cache to cache. As proof that this is not an advertisement, we'll offer prizes to people who provide pictures for us to use in future promotional activities.

I thought the gc community was doing really well providing bugs and coins on its own and I greatly respected the general lack of commercialization of the activity. Knowing that Jeremy needs to make a few bucks to pay rent and electricity for the servers, I'm all for buying TB tags and the other revenue generating methods that he has developed. This Jeep and diabetes thing however... well, my girlie intuition is starting to kick in...

1. In 4.5 years of providing my account name and password to Groundspeak, nothing's ever gone wrong. Not a single piece of spam traceable to Groundspeak. I didn't think twice before ordering my TB.

2. I'm sorry, a diabetes awareness program is commercialized, but trackable geocoins are all purity and goodness? That is the best laugh I've had all day. The coin owner makes money (if they want to), the coin firm makes money, the mint makes money, Groundspeak makes money. Jeep TB's and trackable geocoins are one thing, diabetes awareness is another.

3. Where are you reading the rules about limiting the use of travel bugs for commercial or solicitation purposes? I must have missed those.

I sign in and out of geocaching.com every day and I've never gotten any spam. Groundspeak does not sell the information.

Edit to add that it says right on the page when you sign up

"Please provide your account details below. All fields are required. As per our privacy policy we will not sell your information to third parties. We only use this information for statistical purposes, and to ensure that the listings and logs that are submitted are valid. "

Edited by Eartha

I do not know how to express my positive feeling towards this project. It is great, it is for a good cause and it is well executed.

All the negative remarks I have upon the Jeep projects, are not valid for this project. Since no one is excluded to apply for the special diabetes travel bug, everyone has the same chance to receive one.

Geocaching is a global activity, and so is the treat of diabetes. If geocaching can contribute to more awairness of diabetes, let us all participate and apply for the travelbug.

And it is FREE!

Zilvervloot.

I'm glad to see GC.com participate in this! As one with too many family members and friends with this disease, raising the awareness of geocachers can only be a good thing. And with absolutely NEEDING exercise to get and keep this disease under control, Geocaching is a perfect way to get the exercise in! My oldest sister died at the age of 36 from renal failure due to diabetes. A cure is long overdue in my book.

For those who don't support GC.com's participation with this, you can just leave the TBs in caches for those of us that support them to move along. Simple. Oh! And let's not forget the wonderful Kettle Cache for the Salvation Army which GC.com supported in the past. I hope they keep supporting organizations' causes such as these. :laughing:

Edited by VirginiaGator

We were honored to have been able to "get the scoop" on this topic and share the info first!

We think it's a GREAT endeavor and hope it make a difference with the awareness of diabetes. I've always thought that cachers are a great bunch of people. Sociable, CITOs, sharing locations (and of course swag) with others, and now helping out with a good cause. One of the reasons we love creating our weekly audio show all about geocaching!

iTrax (Sonny)

(not topic related link removed by moderator)

Edited by Eartha

I had to provide my username and password to post this - not a problem using it there.

It's great to see that geocaching can provide some events that give back to the community such as this, CITO events, etc.

I do not think this is a thin-leading-wedge. For obvious reasons, Groundspeak must control and sanction which events they choose to promote. It is nice to see some charity work happening here.