BUD's Personal Coin

Rattlingcrew

db3f1f6d-bba0-4cfc-b64a-77161affc0f2.jpg

65a16bf6-ad9f-4074-84ab-7287c064f5b1.jpg

There's the artwork, ordered the coins yesterday. They will be a two inch coin available in several different finishes. The side with the Bud's face on it will be 3D. I thought about making the top of the benchmark side with a little dome to resemble a benchmark more closely. I decided it might be best to have one flat side. I wanted six finishes, but before I state the finishes for sure, we need to confirm with the mints.

There actually is a BUD benchmark and it is on a friend's property. We cleaned up the BUD stamp and changed the date to 2006. We also changed the warning from $250 FINE OR IMPRISONMENT FOR DISTURBING THIS MARK to $250 FINE OR IMPRISONMENT FOR LEAVING YOUR BUD AT HOME.

If you check my gallery through my profile, you will find that Bud is a pretty active member of my caching team, actually, he goes with me more than anybody else.

Bud's name was originally Gunner, he was in an animal shelter in Ava Missouri with less than 24 hours to live. I found him through the Echo White German Shepherd Rescue and we drove 8 hours to get him and 8 hours home. He had a pretty severe respiratory infection and weighed 60 pounds when we adopted him. He is now at 86 pounds and still looks pretty lean. He is a registered white German Shepherd, although he looks to be part Great Dane.

While he has endeared himself to many cachers along the way, this photo of him with a deer fawn probably made him an instant hit in the Kansas-Missouri Forums. He was very gentle with the fawn and bumped it with his nose as if to ask if it was okay. He also gave it a little kiss on the cheek, then we went on our way. The fawn is very much alive, I moved one leg a little and it pulled it right back. Other than that and the clear eyes, there was no sign of life's movements. How do they do that?

b889e771-44ad-47c5-8d4a-c44525fbd9ef.jpg

The benchmark lies in a pasture owned by Bud Turner of rural Caneiro Kansas. We spent many hours out there roaming around and mostly fishing. Bud is a great guy and quite the entertainment package. The mark was set when they surveyed the pasture for a missile silo, a chilling part of the cold war of the early sixties. We used to sneak up to the perimeter fence and hope we could see something, not knowing that if we did see something, it would be brief and very bright!

We were trying to think of a good name for Gunner-Buddy, when my son piped up and recommended Buddy as he is every body's friend. Buddy quickly became Bud, Bud Light, Bud Boy, Bud Bud, I am sure any of you with a close pet and family can relate. Bud is one of three white German Shepherds we have adopted. He is quite the character and the rewards we have reaped from the adoption have far outweighed the cost. Life is just one big game for him, if he has a serious bone in his body, it must not have matured yet. He has found a home here, I cannot imagine what would hit us so hard that we would not keep these pets throughout their life span.

I want to keep the cost of these coins under 9 dollars, freight paid, within the US. That desire of course is limited by the minting costs. They will have a white GSD head profile for an icon and will be trackable, of course. When the time gets closer, I will post prices, quantities and arrival date. Like always, I do not like to collect until I have coins in hand.

The naming of the dog had nothing to do with my family friend. I was scolling through benchmark photos one day and the idea for my personal coin just popped. It is kind of a nice blend of geocaching, benchmarks, family history and my favorite caching partner. He always wants to go and never complains about how long or far, besides that, he gets to eat canned dog food and drink bottled spring water on caching trips... :laughing:

We often wonder if Bud's original owner has any idea what he lost. The reason for leaving him at the shelter was listed as not being able to afford the medication to cure him...

If you see some blatant error, or have a recommendation for improvement, please post away. Glen

db3f1f6d-bba0-4cfc-b64a-77161affc0f2.jpg

Thats a nice coin Glen! I know from past experiance when you deal with Glen you are dealing with the best! Cave

65a16bf6-ad9f-4074-84ab-7287c064f5b1.jpg

There's the artwork, ordered the coins yesterday. They will be a two inch coin available in several different finishes. The side with the Bud's face on it will be 3D. I thought about making the top of the benchmark side with a little dome to resemble a benchmark more closely. I decided it might be best to have one flat side. I wanted six finishes, but before I state the finishes for sure, we need to confirm with the mints.

There actually is a BUD benchmark and it is on a friend's property. We cleaned up the BUD stamp and changed the date to 2006. We also changed the warning from $250 FINE OR IMPRISONMENT FOR DISTURBING THIS MARK to $250 FINE OR IMPRISONMENT FOR LEAVING YOUR BUD AT HOME.

If you check my gallery through my profile, you will find that Bud is a pretty active member of my caching team, actually, he goes with me more than anybody else.

Bud's name was originally Gunner, he was in an animal shelter in Ava Missouri with less than 24 hours to live. I found him through the Echo White German Shepherd Rescue and we drove 8 hours to get him and 8 hours home. He had a pretty severe respiratory infection and weighed 60 pounds when we adopted him. He is now at 86 pounds and still looks pretty lean. He is a registered white German Shepherd, although he looks to be part Great Dane.

While he has endeared himself to many cachers along the way, this photo of him with a deer fawn probably made him an instant hit in the Kansas-Missouri Forums. He was very gentle with the fawn and bumped it with his nose as if to ask if it was okay. He also gave it a little kiss on the cheek, then we went on our way. The fawn is very much alive, I moved one leg a little and it pulled it right back. Other than that and the clear eyes, there was no sign of life's movements. How do they do that?

b889e771-44ad-47c5-8d4a-c44525fbd9ef.jpg

The benchmark lies in a pasture owned by Bud Turner of rural Caneiro Kansas. We spent many hours out there roaming around and mostly fishing. Bud is a great guy and quite the entertainment package. The mark was set when they surveyed the pasture for a missile silo, a chilling part of the cold war of the early sixties. We used to sneak up to the perimeter fence and hope we could see something, not knowing that if we did see something, it would be brief and very bright!

We were trying to think of a good name for Gunner-Buddy, when my son piped up and recommended Buddy as he is every body's friend. Buddy quickly became Bud, Bud Light, Bud Boy, Bud Bud, I am sure any of you with a close pet and family can relate. Bud is one of three white German Shepherds we have adopted. He is quite the character and the rewards we have reaped from the adoption have far outweighed the cost. Life is just one big game for him, if he has a serious bone in his body, it must not have matured yet. He has found a home here, I cannot imagine what would hit us so hard that we would not keep these pets throughout their life span.

I want to keep the cost of these coins under 9 dollars, freight paid, within the US. That desire of course is limited by the minting costs. They will have a white GSD head profile for an icon and will be trackable, of course. When the time gets closer, I will post prices, quantities and arrival date. Like always, I do not like to collect until I have coins in hand.

The naming of the dog had nothing to do with my family friend. I was scolling through benchmark photos one day and the idea for my personal coin just popped. It is kind of a nice blend of geocaching, benchmarks, family history and my favorite caching partner. He always wants to go and never complains about how long or far, besides that, he gets to eat canned dog food and drink bottled spring water on caching trips... :laughing:

We often wonder if Bud's original owner has any idea what he lost. The reason for leaving him at the shelter was listed as not being able to afford the medication to cure him...

If you see some blatant error, or have a recommendation for improvement, please post away. Glen

e287129d-90d4-4065-ae59-2ebcec66eb9b.jpg

Bud on a recent trip in Kansas, he is very close to the cache, really close in fact! :) A spoiler photo.. Thanks for the kind emails that have already rolled in. He is quite the Bud Boy! Glen

That is a very beautiful dog, and he seems so gentle too with that fawn and all. I just have to laugh at this photo cause it seems like he's saying "Hey whats the hold up, it's right over there" :D

c05abff1-8910-4d86-ba8a-a11434dbb010.jpg

I thought I lost him on this trip. It was a long hike, about five miles for a cache that was meant to be found by boat. We made it to the cache location and could not find it. On the way out, a deer bolted and Bud was in for the fun. He was not barking or hackled, but he sure was having fun giving chase. I sorely watch him crest the rims of two canyons and then did not see him for quite some time. I was going to trespass on private property with my pickup to go find him, by driving the cattle roads. About the time I was within sight of my pickup, he came running back. The game was on! He spent most of the rest of that day sleeping in the truck seat, between caches. Thanks again! Glen

edited because I failed to use the html for the photo, posting it as a link.

Edited by RattlingCrew

Nice coin and great looking dog. We'll take at least two. Would prefer silver or nickel.

We hope to have a coin with our cache hound, Wigo, on one side after the holidays.

Thanks.

When you do, be sure to let me know, I am a sucker for dogs and anything that has a good looking dog on it. This was at a cache on Milford Reservoir here in Kansas last January. Thanks again everybody for the nice comments. Glen

58b087bf-bb1d-47df-bbde-414d2b6281f2.jpg

Ooops, wrong image.... had to edit another post, I am on a roll! :)

Edited by RattlingCrew

More BUD photos? That is pretty easy, I have several hundred! We had been for a long hike on this one too, we were almost back to the truck and he kept giving me this look... Are you coming? I think he forgets that I am in my 50's and he is in his prime. Maybe it was the Dannon Spring Water that was calling his name.. Glen

2bc7183b-5fa6-406e-8e33-cb4802a5f5cb.jpg

Since this is becoming a photo album.... the Bud Benchmark .... JG0030 if you want to look it up! Thanks Glenn, with an extra n, :ph34r: I thought about doing that originally, and decided to just opt out with the link. Glen

I missed the link, but thought to be a important part of the coin design to post OPPS, :ph34r: At least the memory is not going , only the eyes :anibad:

Edited by glennk721
I missed the link, but thought to be a important part of the coin design to post OPPS, At least the memory is not going , only the eyes

You are awesome my friend! Glad to hear that you are half way to my level, my eyes and memory are gone, at least sometimes I feel that way!

Here is another photo for the photoaholics... Bud was not nearly as popular with me that day. It was a bath for all three of us when we got home. They got to ride in the bed of the truck for about 40 miles, long enough for the mud to dry out anyway..... They were really having fun though!

Thanks again everybody for all the kind comments. It is nice to hear fellow dog lovers sharing their four legged friends. Glen

6e330265-6f33-46b5-92e8-889e9194947a.jpg

I think Bud was trying to talk Sir into helping him drive the truck away... Missy was headed for cover! They just do not understand why they cannot go in the city parks... One of these days, they will drive off without me! <_< Thanks again for all the nice comments and emails, my notebook is growing fast! Glen

5e47bd0b-4827-4e41-bd42-85dcee7747ed.jpg

Not much scenery here, but this one is actually kind of funny. I met a cacher in york Nebraska and we went for an all day cache run. We came south as he wanted to visit the Initial point. We were in Morrowville, Kansas and this little dog came racing from across the street. He was barking, growling and racing in circles. He measured out the length of Bud's rope and just kept racing in circles, barking and having a grand time teasing. I started choking up on the leash as the dog was running away. All Bud wanted to do was play. About four loops later, I gave Bud some free rope and he ran right over the top of the little racer. All the yipping that the little guy did would make you think he got hit by a car. In reality, Bud never touched him, just lept clear over him. The cacher and I about died laughing, it was a blast. I'll dig up some scenery photos when the website starts responding again. Glen

556c5cd3-df40-465b-b689-626a20bf280f.jpg

This photo was a geocache in the off road park at Milford Reservoir. The cache is being pointed out by the Bud Boy. At any rate, the adoption agency liked this photo and selected it as their September photo for their calender. That is awesome as it is both Geocaching and my birth month! He also made the cover on that calender. I was quite surprised as I had sent her over 100 BUD photos and for her to select a geocaching photo was super! Glen

23fc928f-30e1-411f-8e56-7148e17eb955.jpg

The finishes I ordered originally were misty gold, misty silver, antique nickel, antique silver (GlennK721 did you catch that? :laughing: ) antique copper, and antique brass. There you go, six finishes, it sounds like I should add black nickel, but the antique nickel Initial Point coins I have are very close to black and the detail is much easier to see than the black nickel. Glen

Edited to take out the photo of the IP coins, I do not want to confuse the thread by showing a photo of another coin. Glen

Edited by RattlingCrew