I broke my first container :(

The temperature was in the teens and the cache container was a thin plastic jug. While replacing the jug under a log, a branch poked through the plastic because it was so brittle. (OK, I did use a little force because it didn't seem to fit.) I reported the damage in the online log and stated I would return in a day or two to either repair or replace the container. When I went back it didn't seem that duct tape would sufficiently repair the jug and keep it waterproof. I choose to replace it with an ammo can, custom camo paint job with a Geocaching.com stencil.

Was I right in upgrading the container or should I have kept true to the cache owner's container? Keep in mind that it would be very difficult to find an exact match for the plastic jug.

You took "Hide it better than you found it" to the extreme! If the cache owner doesn't thank you, your fellow cachers will appreciate the trouble you went to. If the owner says "Dang it, I meant for that cache to be a cheap plastic jug that would break with the first freeze!" then go get your ammo can and post a "Needs archiving" note.

Major kudos for stepping up & upgrading that cache, even if you did 'break it' :laughing:

Accidents do happen.

But those who said the owner didnt care about his cache arent giving the owner a fair shake here either. The OP said he would return in 'a day or two'.

The owner may not have time to get to the cache, didnt y'all just get hit with major snow? If there was snow in the area maybe the owner didnt have power or a net connection due to the weather effects?

Maybe they were getting another container made up, after all not all of us have extra containers laying around, ready to go.

I'm not flaming anyone here, I'm just playing advocate for the other side.

And yes, I do now have a extra ammo can for my hid because I know its a old nalgene jar, in a wet area, that could 'pop' at any time, even with the camo tape reinforcement. I had to use a jar as the land manager really doesnt want ammo cans so its a good temp measure until I can find a decent sized lock n lock & get it camoed up. An ammo can will rust too fast to be used permanitely, even if the LM would allow it.

The temperature was in the teens and the cache container was a thin plastic jug. While replacing the jug under a log, a branch poked through the plastic because it was so brittle. (OK, I did use a little force because it didn't seem to fit.) I reported the damage in the online log and stated I would return in a day or two to either repair or replace the container. When I went back it didn't seem that duct tape would sufficiently repair the jug and keep it waterproof. I choose to replace it with an ammo can, custom camo paint job with a Geocaching.com stencil.

Was I right in upgrading the container or should I have kept true to the cache owner's container? Keep in mind that it would be very difficult to find an exact match for the plastic jug.

The owner should buy you a beer! It's people like you that make this game special! :laughing:

It was nice of you, but it it was an active owner I would have asked first.

I also applaud you like others have for replacing the cache container. But I would have to agree to asking the owner first. I know that I have a cache in a city park and the park rangers only allow caches in clear containers. Overall, you did the right thing.

As the owner of a single cache so far, I guess if I saw in the logs, or was emailed that mine was cracked or otherwise damaged, I'd like to be the one to replace or repair it.

After all, it is my property provided for the enjoyment of others.

While I do appreciate the OP's sentiment and effort, I probably would've emailed the owner, and watched the logs for a few days.

If, after a week or so I don't see a maintenance log, I might go and replace or repair the container on my own accord, and post a note as such.

Depends on how cool I think the cache is overall, and how I feel after a week of being away from it.

The weather and placement would weigh in as well.

In a very wet area or during a rainy season, I might act quicker on someone else's cache, in order to prevent immenent damage to the contents; but if the cache is in Death Valley and the tupperware is cracked, I don't think I'd worry about someone else's cache much more than just posting my observation in my found-log.

$.02, ~K

It was nice of you, but it it was an active owner I would have asked first.

I guess I should have stated this in the first place. I did contact the CO prior to replacement but received no response. After the replacement I notified them, describing the ammo can in detail and stated that I am holding on to the old container if they they want it back. I don't think I would ever consider replacing a container without letting a CO know about it. That would make maintenance a bit difficult on their part. :laughing:

I'm not sure if I broke one yesterday or if it was like that when I got there. Temperatures were in the 20's and the area was still suffering from the effects of last week's ice storm. I uncovered the cache and found out it was a Gladware container. Ack!

I immediately went into "delicate artifact mode." I cautiously pulled the lid back and signed the logbook. When I snapped it back in place I noticed the cracks down the side.

I'd feel bad, but Gladware's just not made for these kinds of temps. Considering how cheap Rubbermaid, Lock n' Locks and even ammo boxes are it just doesn't make sense to skimp on the containers.

If you can't afford to do something right the first time, can you afford to do it wrong over and over again?

Bret

I think it's sure better than leaving a broken container there for the log to get wet. Everyone is going to break something at some point, nobody can fault you for that, and replacing it in ANY way is the right move I'd say. If either of my cache containers were broken, I'd certainly appreciate somebody replacing them, no matter with what. The only exception I guess would be if the container was a unique part of the hiding spot or camoflauge.

The fact that you beat the owner to replacing the container also says volumes. Specifically, it means you cared about it more than the owner did.

No, it really doesn't. Most cache owners are not professional "Maytag repairmen", waiting around their computers with bated breath, anticipating the word that their cache needs repair and when the call comes they can saddle up their donkey and ride like the wind to replace the cache.

OP you did goodly ("well" for you scholarly types).

Now some humor:

One problem though, now the third graders won't be allowed to go near their own cache, since it is an artifact of war and promotes violence and *gasp* G**S! *Oh, the humanity* :mad::):):)

(No Joke: My son was sent home from school for wearing a "Farside" t-shirt with a picture of a deer with a target on its belly. It promotes G**S! Heaven forbid! School people are more than a little wierd and or paranoid.) <_<

<snip>

I reported the damage in the online log and stated I would return in a day or two to either repair or replace the container. When I went back it didn't seem that duct tape would sufficiently repair the jug and keep it waterproof. I choose to replace it with an ammo can, custom camo paint job with a Geocaching.com stencil.

Was I right in upgrading the container

<snip>

Unless the name of the cache is Plastic Jug cache, or the cache has a plastic jug theme, or the hint says that you are looking for a plastic jug, etc.