Missing Caches.

Just wondering if others have had the same problem? Some of our caches are Bison Tube caches. So far, in the past month, 4 of them have turned up missing. Could it be that someone is taking them? We have even wired them to the tree so that they wouldn't fall out of where they were placed. Can't imagine that someone would do anything like that to another cacher, seing that they only cost a buck each. Just wondering!!!

I've only had one cache grow legs, and it was an ammo can in a spot I felt confident only geocachers would visit. Obviously I was mistaken. I accept it's loss as just another aspect of the game. We set these kewl containers out in the wild, and folks will find them. Sometimes these folks are less than honest. Yeah, it's a pain, but what can you do? My positive prevention method is to make the cache as difficult to find as possible.

A few years back, we had quite a few caches go MIA in our area, especially ammo boxes. I would guess more than a couple dozen disappeared, possibly upwards of 3 dozen or more. Some amazing sleuth work turned up a suspect and he was confronted. Although he denied having anything to do with the missing caches, the thievery stopped soon afterwards and we have been fine since. The suspect was a non-cacher, although he did have a log-in name so he could view the cache pages. Due to this, many cachers in our area resorted to placing micros instead of regular caches so the game is still afoot. It sounds like yours are already micros so that is not something you can do.

I think this is a legitimate reason for allowing cache owners to see who is watching their caches. I really don't understand the privacy thing concerning this aspect of caching. Who can it hurt? I am more than willing to tell a cache owner that I am watching his/her cache.

Just my 2 cents.

I think this is a legitimate reason for allowing cache owners to see who is watching their caches.

If you list your cache as a premium members only cache, you have an audit log showing time and account name each time the cache page is accessed, so that option already exists. This WONT show you anything about the person who just PQs the area and uses software on their own computer to look at caches, which is certainly a lot of cachers (me).

I would guess that urban micros are just being found by noncachers. Sometimes you have a run of bad luck on cache disappearances.

I've lost a few copper tags wired to trees that are intermediate waypoints in multis. They are no place a human would tread, so I suspect that perhaps a crow or another bird might have pulled them off. Its the only explanation that I can come up with. Perhaps they are also attracted to bison cylinders hanging in trees.