International TB promotion

Deceangi

Not sure why I have to divulge my password though??

Was wondering the same TBH. They wanted an awful lot of personal information for a TB promotion :laughing:

I did wonder about the password myself, but Deccie has answered that. As for the amount of information, you are signing up to request a TB to be sent to you for activation. They can't send it to you with just your name!!!

Unfortunately diabetes is rife in my family tree :laughing: My maternal grandmother had it and on my fathers side, both my grand parents and all my father and all his siblings (only 2 of whom survived to adulthood) His Brother Colin was one of the first to try insulin and his brother Donald was involved in the initial trial for the permamant insulin pump (the bonus was he got it for free) unfortunately he died in his 50's from it and my Dad lived the longest and past away this year. So far my brothers my sister and I show no signs but we are all aware of how our lives my change any time in the future.

The medical profession has done wonders so far in prolonging the lives and improving the quality of lives of those who suffer so any fundraising is fantastic :laughing:

and yes I ordered my bug as soon as I knew :laughing:

Edited cos I can't spell

Edited by The Nutters

one of the reasons so much information is requested is because each TB will be mailed out to the recipient, many across international borders, with all the red tape to declare that its a gift of no monetary value. I'd imagine that if 500/1000 tags are sent to the UK. All in the same packaging, and with the same type of label on them, this would set a red flag for customs without the appropriate information.

As others have stated, diabetes has some nasty affects if not treated properly [loss of extremity's, male adult dysfunction, blindness are some of the risks], and it has a habit of sneaking up on you, without you being aware. You'd be surprised at the possible no of adults who have Type 2 [late onset] diabetes, who have not been diagnosed.

Personally I was diagnosed with T2 12 months ago on the 20th of December, after showing the symptoms for nearly 12 months [as there is a family history, my OH went out and bought a meter and tested me, otherwise I still would not have gone to the Doctors].

So please make sure you sign the On-Line petition, and look up the warning symptoms for diabetes, and be aware of them. One day you could find that diabetes is sneaking up on you :laughing:

Its hosted on the geocaching.com server so it's safe to enter your password and its to stop people from requesting multiple TB's (you need an account)

Not sure about the Phone number but I just put my mobile number in :)

Oh I am in as well

Edited by Deego

I suspect they've taken the nearest town/city of everyone who's requested one, and released a TB for that City.

I doubt it. The TBs are already made, and the sign up only opened a few days ago.

Seems they show up as being a geocoin when in a cache, so if there is another coin in a cache they are placed in the pile of coins icon shows beside it.

You can check out this profile to see all 20,000 of em - there is a bug for Windsor, bet I don't get it though!

there is a bug for Windsor, bet I don't get it though!

I don't think you get the bug for your town/city...

Each Unite for Diabetes Travel Bug is dedicated to a specific city in the world and to the people with Diabetes who live there. The goal for each Travel Bug is to reach its city and circulate throughout the city’s geocaches, spreading diabetes awareness as it goes.

If you are in the first 20,000 you should get one at random - you could end up with one for "Boyolali, Indonesia" or "Zuunharaa, Mongolia".

U4D TB's are being sent out to those that have applied for one, which one you receive is a random chance. They have two goals, to spread the news about Diabetes and the serious consequences it can have, and to travel to the the city/town it is named after and then travel around its home city/town.

At a guess as to how they've picked the City's and Towns out, it was possibly be population.

I had a quick browse and see that there are already some in caches and moving. Some of the destinations are interesting - so interesting I wonder if they were chosen for the amount of diabetics in those towns and cities rather than anything else. If I am lucky to get one in the post I look forward to seeing its destination, and I'll be watching the one heading to my area to see how long it takes to reach here from its launch cache :santa:

Its hosted on the geocaching.com server so it's safe to enter your password and its to stop people from requesting multiple TB's (you need an account)

Not sure about the Phone number but I just put my mobile number in :santa:

Oh I am in as well

I just put "Unlisted" in the phone number field - it was accepted.

I suspect they've taken the nearest town/city of everyone who's requested one, and released a TB for that City.

I doubt it. The TBs are already made, and the sign up only opened a few days ago.

Suppose we'll never know.

I've checked local towns where I now cachers live, and all of them have a TB, but not the town in Lancs where my inlaws live - where, as far as I know, no cachers live.

I've added loads to my watchlist anyway.

Edited by Jaz666

I added the "Durham" TB to my watch list and it has been received by a caching team in Arizona today. :( called tucson twosome

I hope it makes it makes it here :D

M :(

Copied from email

We have family on both sides with diabetes and are so excited to see this initiative taken by Groundspeak. We'll get this TB into a cache soon and get him moving toward the UK.

I'd have thought that it would be at least a week until we see any over here, and with Christmas in the way, I expect it might even be next year...

I ordered a Geocoin from the US three weeks ago and it hasn't arrived yet... I imagine they will be sending them surface mail to save money.

I hope I get one - I can't imagine that we wouldn't - 20,000 is a lot of cachers.

Groundspeak are dispatching the U4D bugs in the order that they were requested, this involves dispatching them to all over the world. This promotion is defiantly not US centric :wub:

As there are more cachers in the US, the chances are extremely high that more bugs will have been requested by them than all the other country's put together.

The UK has over 600 destinations for the bugs, so hopefully a high No will make it over to these shores, that have been set free by non UK cachers.

And remember that the competition is open to all this time :(

is there any way to do a search for the bugs without trawling through 1000 pages to find the ones with a destination near me?

Also is there a way to see where all the bugs are on a map?

the Nutters are NOT technical :)

All I did was go on to the travel bug link on GC.com and did an advanced search, putting the town I was looking for in the keyword search. B)

Some East Anglian ones you might be interested in are Dereham, Norwich, Peterborough, Ipswich, Lowestoft, Great Yarmouth and Bury St Edmunds.

I agree about the map, It would be great to see where all the tags were - maybe on something like google earth so we could zoom in on each tag.