Unite for Diabetes - Geocaching Promotion

Bryan

Are the Travelbugs already activated like the Green Jeeps were?

The reason I'm asking is I'm wondering if there is a certain keyword we can type on the Travelbug search page to watch their travels.

Thanks

Pick a city (worldwide) :laughing:

I think they wanted to know how to find a list of all the Unite TB's...

Do a search on the owner: Unite for Diabetes

Edited by Stunod

The reason I'm asking is I'm wondering if there is a certain keyword we can type on the Travelbug search page to watch their travels.

Thanks

Thanks, that is what I was looking for. I'm from Akron, OH and found the one for Akron and put it on my watch list.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=834173

Interesting glitch...

TB1BHAZ - Plainfield, IL

TB1B6PX - Plainfield, NJ

TB1BMDQ - Plainfield, IN

TB1C09G - Plainfield, CT

All are listed as "Plainfield, United States of America" Unite for Diabetes Travel Bug

Admittedly, it's not a big hairy deal, but it would be nice if the name of the bug also indicated a state or province if there are duplicate names to the tags. The only way I knew that the tags were destined for the states they were intended was to click on the link that state "Caches Near Plainfield" and see where the coordinates come up.

This also brings up a neat little idea that has been thrown out before in these forums - goal coordinates. If a bug were to have a destination set of coordinates, then users could search for bugs whose destination is near a location. For example, I could search for bugs that have a destination set of coordinates near my home while I'm somewhere else.

For THESE bugs, it would be nice to be able to search for the United for Diabetes bugs that are headed for my area...

Edited by Markwell

There are 2 TB for the city where our diabetic niece lives, Riverside and there is even one for where we live, Macon.

I am watching both of them. Can't wait to see if we get one of these TB's.

EDIT: Oh wait after reading Markwell's post I went back and checked and sure enough one TB is for California and the other is for Ohio. So there is only one TB for our hometown.

Edited by ParentsofSAM

Thanks

There are 20,000 TB's to sift through that way. Picking a city seems to be more effiecient.

Well, amazingly enough my thriving metropolis of 330 people isn't on the list of 20,000, so I settled for the nearest town that is for a bug to watch. Of course, if I am lucky enough to get one of them myself, I'll watch it too :laughing: . My sweetie is too sweet, and has been shooting up every day for about the last 20 years. She has a flock of other troubles, but we believe that much of her trouble is tied to the diabetes. Thank you Groundspeak for getting involved.

hairball & Koilady

Ummmm, I have to give my geocaching password to them to get a bug??

I don't think so.

Groundspeak hosts the web site.

I, too, was concerned about the demand for a password

There is no easy way to know that the site is connected to GC.com

(I believe that anybody could register happy.geocaching.com, and go trolling for passwords)

Perhaps a better site name would have been geocaching.com/unite

I don't know if they're still available, but I requested one today.

My mother-in-law is a diabetic, not too well controlled, but better now that she has the pump.

In addition, I am an RN working a surgical unit and see on a DAILY basis the problems caused by diabetes.

Neuropathies, retinopathies, BKA/AKA's, gangrene, non-healing wounds, etc etc.

This is a great cause to rally behind!

Thanks to everyone who's shown interest thus far!!!

~K

(I believe that anybody could register happy.geocaching.com, and go trolling for passwords)

If you own geocaching.com you own everything below it, like happy.geocaching.com, etc. You are correct in assuming that everyone doesn't know this though.

I was hoping a link from the front page of geocaching.com to the unite site would be enough. We have had 10,000 requests so far so it doesn't seem to be an issue for a lot of users but if it slows down a bit we'll try and make changes so people are reassured that there isn't a password logger out there.

And so far appear to be the only exception - as when the issue comes up, nobody seems to have any other counterexamples.

Did you miss the Jeeps? Sounds kind of commercial to me, and closer to the mark as they are travel bugs.

Bottom line is that this is Groundspeak's site and Groundspeak has the right to do what they want on the Groundspeak site. That doesn't mean that ANYONE has the right to do what they want on the Groundspeak site.

Right, but we do reserve the right to voice our opinions. Again, I'm not saying this is a "bad" agenda or anything. I say go for it. But I do, like others, notice an inconsistency...

--MGb

Right, but we do reserve the right to voice our opinions. Again, I'm not saying this is a "bad" agenda or anything. I say go for it. But I do, like others, notice an inconsistency...

I never said you couldn't voice your opinion - I was just trying to show how I don't see this as an inconsistency.

Groundspeak hosts the web site.

I, too, was concerned about the demand for a password

There is no easy way to know that the site is connected to GC.com

Bhob:

Groundspeak owns the "geocaching.com" domain. "happy.geocaching.com" would be a single site on that domain. Without some extensive hacking OR a spoof in the page (so it looks like "happy.geocaching.com" but might say something else in your address bar) no one can get "happy" away from geocaching.com.

And if you just go straight there; type in "http://happy.geocaching.com" and hit enter, there's NO way that would NOT be geocaching.com.

Perhaps someone could have broken into the geocaching.com servers and created a virtual server on their hardware...but they'd have noticed and fixed that by now.

I do have a question...When filling out the request form it required a phone number? Will Groundspeak give those numbers to a third party?

El Diablo

Darn good question. And I'm not surprised to hear it from you, considering how carefully you guard your personal information. :huh:

I don't have a problem with anyone here having my phone number. I publish it on my hiking staff web site and as you pointed out I've given it here in the forums. Anyone is welcomed to call me. What I don't want though is for it to be used for commercial sales or solicitations. I get enough spam phone calls as it is.

El Diablo

Privacy Policy

Privacy

At GEOCACHING.COM, we are committed to protecting your privacy. We use the limited amount of information collected about you to enable the functionality of the web site. These functions include letting you know when new caches are hidden in your area, keeping you notified of changes to the geocaching sport and web site and allowing you to log your find and share your experience with other Geocachers We internally use personally identifiable information about you to improve our service, to statistically analyze site usage, to improve our content and product offerings and to customize our site's content and layout. We believe these uses allow us to improve our site and better tailor it to meet our users' needs. In the unlikely case of changes in the use of your personally identifiable information, GEOCACHING.COM will notify you via the e-mail provided.

Cookies

"Cookies" are small pieces of information that are stored by your browser on your computer's hard drive. We do not collect personal information with the use of our cookies, they are used to collect aggregate visitor information for internal use only.

Cookies are required in order to log caches on the site, and refusing them may impact some of the features on the site.

Disclosure

At GEOCACHING.COM, we will not sell or rent any personally identifiable information about you to any third party, ever. On occasion, we will aggregate personally identifiable information and may disclose such information in aggregate to third parties. However, in these situations, we will never disclose any information that could be used to personally identify you.

Links

At GEOCACHING.COM, we may occasionally include links to other sites. We can not be responsible for the privacy policies and content of those sites.

Questions

If you have any questions regarding any of our policies, please write to contact@geocaching.com.

Privacy Policy

Privacy

At GEOCACHING.COM, we are committed to protecting your privacy. We use the limited amount of information collected about you to enable the functionality of the web site. These functions include letting you know when new caches are hidden in your area, keeping you notified of changes to the geocaching sport and web site and allowing you to log your find and share your experience with other Geocachers We internally use personally identifiable information about you to improve our service, to statistically analyze site usage, to improve our content and product offerings and to customize our site's content and layout. We believe these uses allow us to improve our site and better tailor it to meet our users' needs. In the unlikely case of changes in the use of your personally identifiable information, GEOCACHING.COM will notify you via the e-mail provided.

Cookies

"Cookies" are small pieces of information that are stored by your browser on your computer's hard drive. We do not collect personal information with the use of our cookies, they are used to collect aggregate visitor information for internal use only.

Cookies are required in order to log caches on the site, and refusing them may impact some of the features on the site.

Disclosure

At GEOCACHING.COM, we will not sell or rent any personally identifiable information about you to any third party, ever. On occasion, we will aggregate personally identifiable information and may disclose such information in aggregate to third parties. However, in these situations, we will never disclose any information that could be used to personally identify you.

Links

At GEOCACHING.COM, we may occasionally include links to other sites. We can not be responsible for the privacy policies and content of those sites.

Questions

If you have any questions regarding any of our policies, please write to contact@geocaching.com.

I understand that... However I've never had them ask for a phone number before, so I have some concerns.

Why ask now?

El Diablo

I hope you'll all forgive my newbie question. I've retrieved travel bugs from caches and moved them on to other caches, but this is the first time I've received one this way (I got my Unite for Diabetes travel bug in the mail today).

What's the proper way to "register" this TB so the site will show it as being in my possession before I place it in a cache and send it on its way toward (in the case of this TB) Malavalli, India?

Thanks,

--Larry

Interesting glitch...

TB1BHAZ - Plainfield, IL

TB1B6PX - Plainfield, NJ

TB1BMDQ - Plainfield, IN

TB1C09G - Plainfield, CT

All are listed as "Plainfield, United States of America" Unite for Diabetes Travel Bug

Admittedly, it's not a big hairy deal, but it would be nice if the name of the bug also indicated a state or province if there are duplicate names to the tags. The only way I knew that the tags were destined for the states they were intended was to click on the link that state "Caches Near Plainfield" and see where the coordinates come up.

This also brings up a neat little idea that has been thrown out before in these forums - goal coordinates. If a bug were to have a destination set of coordinates, then users could search for bugs whose destination is near a location. For example, I could search for bugs that have a destination set of coordinates near my home while I'm somewhere else.

For THESE bugs, it would be nice to be able to search for the United for Diabetes bugs that are headed for my area...

Speaking of Plainfield, IN... that's where I live, but the TB I got is the one for Ofaquim, Isreal. I'm not close to that at all. Am I missing something? (Probably)

Edited: Oh wait, that's where it's trying to GO. OK... (That's what I get for not reading all the posts first.)

Edited by ThreeRushkateers

Hmmm... Got mine in the mail yesterday. Destination: BayBay, Phillipines (N 10.68°, W 124.80°). Closest cache is a virtual some 59 miles away on the island of Cebu. Closest container cache is about 216 miles northwest on near Panay. Logs on that cache indicate:

In case you missed our other pleas for help.... please rescue our TB's...They've now had a YEAR anniversary in this cache. Please think twice about dropping anyone's TB here, it's a trap!

Not where I would purposefully try to send a TB. <_<

Hmmm... Got mine in the mail yesterday. Destination: BayBay, Phillipines (N 10.68°, W 124.80°). Closest cache is a virtual some 59 miles away on the island of Cebu.

Aw crud! Look what you've done now:

Cebu! Sing it with me!

Cebu (cebu)

Boy is riding with cebu (boy with riding

the cebu) into town in his canoe (into

town in his canoe)

Sick cebu is rowing and sneezing

achu moo moo achu moo moo

achu moo moo ahcu moo moo

achu moo moo

(achu moo moo achu moo moo

achu moo moo achoo moo moo moo moo)

hippo chewing on bamboo (people

chewing on bamboo) can't see boy and three cebu

(can't see boy and three cebu)

sad cebu is rowing and crying

ba hoo moo moo ba hoo moo moo

ba hoo moo moo ba hoo moo moo moo moo

(ba hoo moo moo ba hoo moo moo

ba hoo moo moo moo moo)

cebu! (cebu!) cebu! (cebu!)

achu moo moo ba hoo moo moo ba hoo moo moo

ahcu moo moo achoo moo moo boo hoo moo moo cebu!

hippo seen by mute cebu (hippo seen by mute cebu)

tries to tell the other two (tires to tell the other two)

mute cebu is waving and grunting

uhmmm, uhmmm,

uhmmm, uhmmm, uhmmm

(uhmmm, uhmmm, uhmmm,

uhmmm, uhmmm, uhmmm, uhmmm)

I'm toe-tappingly off topic!!!!!! <_<

Needs more cowbell.

You mean a cebubell.

Back on topic...I still haven't received mine. Just wondering, though, are you guys planning on attaching anything else to the bug when you get it? Something that reminds you of a loved one with diabetes?

A friend of mine's nine-year old daughter was recently diagnosed with juvenile diabetes. It'd be nice to have something that reminds me of her to attach to it.

Bret

Hmmm... Got mine in the mail yesterday. Destination: BayBay, Phillipines (N 10.68°, W 124.80°). Closest cache is a virtual some 59 miles away on the island of Cebu.

Aw crud! Look what you've done now:

Cebu! Sing it with me!

Cebu (cebu)

Boy is riding with cebu (boy with riding

the cebu) into town in his canoe (into

town in his canoe)

Sick cebu is rowing and sneezing

achu moo moo achu moo moo

achu moo moo

(achu moo moo achu moo moo

achu moo moo achoo moo moo moo moo)

hippo chewing on bamboo (people

chewing on bamboo) can't see boy and three cebu

(can't see boy and three cebu)

sad cebu is rowing and crying

ba hoo moo moo ba hoo moo moo moo moo

(ba hoo moo moo ba hoo moo moo

ba hoo moo moo moo moo)

cebu! (cebu!) cebu! (cebu!)

achu moo moo ba hoo moo moo ba hoo moo moo

ahcu moo moo achoo moo moo boo hoo moo moo cebu!

hippo seen by mute cebu (hippo seen by mute cebu)

tries to tell the other two (tires to tell the other two)

mute cebu is waving and grunting

uhmmm, uhmmm,

uhmmm, uhmmm, uhmmm

(uhmmm, uhmmm, uhmmm,

uhmmm, uhmmm, uhmmm, uhmmm)

I'm toe-tappingly off topic!!!!!! :santa:

OMG! I thought the EXACT same thing!