Unite for Diabetes - Geocaching Promotion

Bryan

Still, one has to wonder how the heck the United Nations proposes to raise awareness. They seem to produce a lot of resolutions, but not a lot of verifiable results. There has got to be a better way. Well, that's my $0.02, so flame me.

You gotta work harder than that to get flamed around here.

+5 for vitriol but -5 for obviousness. So you're back where you started. Better luck next time.

Thanks for all that signed up so far. I'm guessing we'll have them all reserved in several days.

was a little woried about the need for my password but applied as for a great cause.

The site is managed by Groundspeak so your info never leaves the Groundspeak bunker. It's just used to link your account to your request so we make sure everyone has a fair shake to get a Travel Bug.

<Guinness ad voice> Brilliant </voice>

Count me in too. There's a bit of this in my family history as well.

No history here, but as some may or may not know - diabetes is a serious possible complication due to pregnancy and, since my wife and I just had a baby, it's gotten our attention too. Request sent. I'll be happy to get this guy going around chicago. One thing that wasn't really clear tho - The tag has a bug attached to it right? Or do we/can we still attach one?

--MGb

Still, one has to wonder how the heck the United Nations proposes to raise awareness. They seem to produce a lot of resolutions, but not a lot of verifiable results. There has got to be a better way. Well, that's my $0.02, so flame me.

The Unite for Diabetes Geocaching Campaign is supported by a grant from Merck & Co., Inc., which operates in many countries as MSD (Merck Sharp & Dohme).

+5 for vitriol but -5 for obviousness. So you're back where you started. Better luck next time.

I saw this one coming from some of the conservatives who don't really know anything about the U.N. but like to think they do from listening to Rush.

Anyway, for those interested, info on the UN and its many accomplishments: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_nations

Among many other worthy things, the UN's WHO eliminated Smallpox in 1977. UNICEF feeds children worldwide... lots more at the link... Raising awareness of Diabetes can only be good.

Jeremy, you might want to talk to the Diabtes Unite staff. In this Press Release and have them modify this sentence:

Geocaching is a treasure hunt that requires people to use a global positioning system (GPS) to search for buried containers, known as ‘caches’, that are hidden around the world by other treasure hunters, or ‘cachers’.

Its in the the "show your support for Geocaching section"

Edited by magellan315

I requested mine. Father, Sister and Grandmother on mom's side all diabetic. Every meal and pound are a possible life altering action. I work hard to watch weight, diet and excersise, sometimes not too hard. Family medical history is train wreck. One of the few conditions I can work against to keep at bay

Great Idea, good cause.

I saw this one coming from some of the conservatives who don't really know anything about the U.N. but like to think they do from listening to Rush.

Anyway, for those interested, info on the UN and its many accomplishments: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_nations

Among many other worthy things, the UN's WHO eliminated Smallpox in 1977. UNICEF feeds children worldwide... lots more at the link... Raising awareness of Diabetes can only be good.

It's sad, but entirely predictable, that we can't keep politics out of a charitable awareness campaign. Myself, I am ignoring the UN's long record of ineptitude and inefficiency -- which I have studied in depth -- and I am focusing instead on the disease that killed my grandmother and limits my Aunt's enjoyment of life.

It's sad, but entirely predictable, that we can't keep politics out of a charitable awareness campaign. Myself, I am ignoring the UN's long record of ineptitude and inefficiency -- which I have studied in depth -- and I am focusing instead on the disease that killed my grandmother and limits my Aunt's enjoyment of life.

Doesn't the existence of this thread show that the awareness campaign is working? Certainly, some finders of these TBs will learn more about the issue because of the campaign.

My name's McKryton and I'm a diabetic. Geocaching helps me keep my blood sugar under control because it's the most addicitve form of exercise you can do with your clothes on. Thanks for this initiative because diabetes is the most common cause of blindness, amputation, strokes and heart attacks and more people join the ranks of the diagnosed every day. They need to become informed quickly because left untreated this disease kills.

I'm going to be the one that bucks the trend - but I have not ordered a TB and do not intend to, nor help one if I come across it in my travels. Furthermore - I am deeply bothered that Groundspeak ground rules out caches that promote an agenda, but then participates in an activity such as this.

And before anyone leaps in with "if you knew someone with diabetes you would care" - I do know people with diabetes, several of them.

I'm going to be the one that bucks the trend - but I have not ordered a TB and do not intend to, nor help one if I come across it in my travels. Furthermore - I am deeply bothered that Groundspeak ground rules out caches that promote an agenda, but then participates in an activity such as this.

And before anyone leaps in with "if you knew someone with diabetes you would care" - I do know people with diabetes, several of them.

Groundspeak's purpose in keeping tabs on caches that solicit for a charity is to keep some sense of order over how its cache pages are used. I am sure they don't want to get involved in deciding what is a "good" charity cache vs. a "bad" charity cache, or to have the entire site look like a fundraising game.

In contrast, and along the lines of "Cache in, Trash out," Groundspeak has chosen a single cause with worldwide appeal, in order to present a focused charity campaign that also looks like it will be a lot of fun. I am looking forward to helping the bugs towards their various city goals.

It's their website and they have the right to decide which causes it will support.

When did the guidelines on charity caches suddenly become applicable to charity trackables? I am either missing a memo, or missing a leap of logic.

I am sorry to hear that you're choosing not to participate. I respect your choice, though I don't understand it.

I, too, am confused over the decision to support this where cachers can move a travel bug with an agenda, but not hold an event to collect "Toys for Tots."

Unlike the quoted poster, I have ordered my TB, as my mother, her mother, my wife and her mother have this disease. I do give kudos to Groundspeak for their effort, but question the guidelines on agenda events.

As an avid geocacher, an active member of the geocaching community and as a diabetic, I would like to thank Groundspeak for their support of this project. Geocaching has been a large part of helping me deal with this disease and has aided greatly in my management of it. Anything that we can do to help increase awareness about the dangers of diabetes is time well spent. Together we can make a difference. Thank you.

ME TOO! Thanks Groundspeak. :ph34r:

The Snoogstress and I were both diagnosed, with Type 2, less than one year ago.

I filled out the form to get one and I would be happy to distribute a whole load of the tbs at one of my regular events if you decide, at some point, to do larger distributions like with the jeeps. :ph34r:

Groundspeak's purpose in keeping tabs on caches that solicit for a charity is to keep some sense of order over how its cache pages are used.

They don't 'keep tabs' on caches that solicit for charity or promote an agenda - they forbid them outright.

I am sure they don't want to get involved in deciding what is a "good" charity cache vs. a "bad" charity cache, or to have the entire site look like a fundraising game.

Then why do they promote these travel bugs - which explicitly endorse this agenda? That is making a decision that this constitutes a 'good' cause (charity).

In contrast, and along the lines of "Cache in, Trash out," Groundspeak has chosen a single cause with worldwide appeal, in order to present a focused charity campaign that also looks like it will be a lot of fun. I am looking forward to helping the bugs towards their various city goals.

Thats a leap of logic that I fail to follow - because CITO is an event that provides tangible support to the community where it takes place, and shows Geocachers as enviromentally active and responsible individuals (in contrast to the stereotype). These travel bug tags accomplish niether.

When did the guidelines on charity caches suddenly become applicable to charity trackables? I am either missing a memo, or missing a leap of logic.

I did not say they implied - I said that this bug is inconsistent with the philosophy expounded by Groundspeak to date.

I ordered one as well.

I know it's not exactly as ... err, "Powerful" as having the disease myself, or a loved one having it. But we recently had to put down my parent's dog, Sandy due to diabetes. I grew up with her, and while we didn't get into Geocaching until she had already been diagnosed and was too ill to go on caches with us, she was always with us in spirit. She would have loved it.

So while some might bite each others backs over an agenda, I'll just be happy that I can send a bug out in my dog's name and maybe make some pet owners aware that they should be vigilant, as well.

I did not say they implied - I said that this bug is inconsistent with the philosophy expounded by Groundspeak to date.

I did a few quick searches on the Travel Bug Advanced Search page:

27 travel bugs to raise awareness of Autism

27 for breast cancer

13 for plain ol' cancer (not counting the zodiac kind)

and 5 for diabetes awareness even before this campaign began

That's just the ABCD's. Now, where's the inconsistency?

Bret

Thats a leap of logic that I fail to follow - because CITO is an event that provides tangible support to the community where it takes place, and shows Geocachers as enviromentally active and responsible individuals (in contrast to the stereotype). These travel bug tags accomplish niether.

I agree in that this deos seem to promote an agenda which would fall against Groundspeak's guidelines, but the same could be said of CITO - promoting an enviromentally freidnly agenda. and while it is just picking up trash, where do they stand on whales, oil, and the baby seal? How about global warming? Polar ice caps? Whatever. It's a good cause that I think universally most people are going to get behind. Some more than others, but I don't think even "bad" people or countries for that matter want to promote the spread of diabetes - except maybe to "infadels" or whoever, but that doesn't count...

--MGb

I've requested mine and also signed the petition.

If I get the requested travel bug it will honor my mother who has this disease.

Did anybody look at the Blue Flying circles?

http://flyingcircles.unitefordiabetes.org/

I sure hope I get handed one of those to pass along too.

I hope I at least get a TB in one in my travels as I would love to enter that photo Challenge too.

http://unite.geocaching.com/participate/

Nate & Jeremy love the new icon for this TB. maybe someday I will get to log one of these, I would at least like to add them to my watch list, How come they do not have this option like other TB's

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.as...8f-8431d641ee13

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.as...ff-f9a26ef66110

Edited by chstress53

Firstly I have to totally agree that this project appears totally inconsistent with Goundspeak's stated policy about agendas. As a diabetic it's too late for me anyway, I've already got it. The most important thing is getting the warning to people who have not been diagnosed because this disease is becoming an epidemic. The initial symptoms are mild and easily ignored, tiredness, thirst, excessive urination. If you ignore these you could discover you are diabetic after surviving your first heart attack or starting to go blind. People are sleepwalking into this disease without realising and it is killing them.

The guideline for caches is that it cannot promote an agenda or solicit WITHOUT Groundspeak PERMISSION, right?

Some exceptions can be made. In these rare situations, permission can be given by the Geocaching.com web site.

The APE caches were commercial...

Thank you for pointing to the guidelines Markwell. I had been thinking about that one myself.

Groundspeak's purpose in keeping tabs on caches that solicit for a charity is to keep some sense of order over how its cache pages are used.

They don't 'keep tabs' on caches that solicit for charity or promote an agenda - they forbid them outright.

I am sure they don't want to get involved in deciding what is a "good" charity cache vs. a "bad" charity cache, or to have the entire site look like a fundraising game.

Then why do they promote these travel bugs - which explicitly endorse this agenda? That is making a decision that this constitutes a 'good' cause (charity).

Commercial and "agenda" caches are not forbidden outright - the hider has to contact Groundspeak first for permission. In a way, this is fair, since Geocaching is not a free advertising medium. :ph34r: Call me a cynic, but I doubt majority of people will voluntarily revenue share if they can exploit Geocaching to solicit for their own financial gain.

The sponsor for the United for Diabetes Campaign is footing the bill. At the minimum, someone has to pay for the manufacturing, labor, and mailing costs for distributing these TBs. Don't forget that the lackeys need to make changes to the site, too, and thankfully, volunteer reviewers do not need to do anything extra. :ph34r: Your taxes won't increase as a result, since Merck is footing the bill (not the United Nations)... but if you are a Pfizer shareholder and think they are getting unfair publicity, feel free to ask for a competitive bid (and more money for Geocaching).

The guideline for caches is that it cannot promote an agenda or solicit WITHOUT Groundspeak PERMISSION, right?

Some exceptions can be made. In these rare situations, permission can be given by the Geocaching.com web site.

And so far appear to be the only exception - as when the issue comes up, nobody seems to have any other counterexamples.

OTOH I've seen multiple questions on "whether this cache solicits/promotes and agenda" - and the answer is invariably not "ask for permission" but "modify the cache to avoid the appearance of soliciting/promoting an agenda". This suggests that the experience of the community at large with gaining permission is a negative one. It is on that which I base my belief of inconsistency on - because Groundspeak's de facto policy amounts to virtually an outright ban, regardless of its de jure policy. (Notice that the APE caches were a one-off, they have not been repeated.)

And so far appear to be the only exception - as when the issue comes up, nobody seems to have any other counterexamples.

OTOH I've seen multiple questions on "whether this cache solicits/promotes and agenda" - and the answer is invariably not "ask for permission" but "modify the cache to avoid the appearance of soliciting/promoting an agenda". This suggests that the experience of the community at large with gaining permission is a negative one. It is on that which I base my belief of inconsistency on - because Groundspeak's de facto policy amounts to virtually an outright ban, regardless of its de jure policy. (Notice that the APE caches were a one-off, they have not been repeated.)

Personally, I think this is the perfect thread to discuss any issues people may have with these TBs.

However, your argument is erred in two ways:

First, Groundspeak is a for-profit company. As such, they can promote any agenda they wish to. If we wish to create a cache that promotes an agenda, we need their permission because it is their website.

Second, the Ape caches are far from the only commericial examples.

Edited by sbell111

Did you miss the Jeeps? Sounds kind of commercial to me, and closer to the mark as they are travel bugs.

Bottom line is that this is Groundspeak's site and Groundspeak has the right to do what they want on the Groundspeak site. That doesn't mean that ANYONE has the right to do what they want on the Groundspeak site.

Well they allowed me to raffle off 2 hiking staffs for Make A Wish Foundation. Does that count?

El Diablo

Did you miss the Jeeps? Sounds kind of commercial to me, and closer to the mark as they are travel bugs.

Bottom line is that this is Groundspeak's site and Groundspeak has the right to do what they want on the Groundspeak site. That doesn't mean that ANYONE has the right to do what they want on the Groundspeak site.

Exactly.

As an example, I own a small farm. I can do pretty much what I want with it as long as I don't break any laws, and I can let others do the same if I choose. But just because I let Bob deer hunt doesn't mean I have to let Bill hunt here as well, I can pick and choose who, if anyone, I let in.

And also, if Bob wants to cut and sell firewood from my place I can say yes, no, or yes but I get a cut of the money, my trees, my rules, like them or not, your choice.

But like them or not, it is fair.

Don't forget about the Salvation Army Bell Travel Bugs from a couple years ago too.

Bret

If you had a cache to "promote awareness of diabetes" it would likely be approved. If you had a cache to raise money for the Diabetes Association it would be one that solicits or promotes an agenda and would require permission from Geocaching.com. The reviewers may suggest modifying the cache so you could get approved. Geocaching.com is likely only going to approve charitable caches where they deal directly with the charitable organization and not with an individual cacher. The problem being if they approve one with an individual they would be under a lot of pressure to approve all. Geocaching.com probably doesn't have time to vet every charitable organization to see if they are legit.

This case is also different because it doesn't seem to be trying to raise funds. However, it seems to go beyond simply raising awareness since it is trying to get the UN to pass a resolution to promate worldwide awareness by declaring a World Diabetes Day and other actions. This also involves Travel Bugs which have often been given more latitude as to what they can say on the TB page than caches. Still if your are pissed because your cache to raise money for your favorite charity was turned down, you are free to choose not to participate in the Unite for Diabetes travel bug promotion.

I was more than a little pleased to see this awareness idea come up! <_< Two years ago last week I can tell you right where I was standing when I got the news that my daughter (then 18) was diagnosed with type-1 diabetes.

Soon after we learned of the diagnosis I created an interactive electronic geocache in which one can find a voice memo heart. Each geocacher gets to leave a message on it for the next person. I named it Heart to Heart with a “my heart to my daughter’s” in mind. It’s designed to help people to understand type-1 diabetes. I was very happy to have discovered that it is listed in a Wykipedia article. If interested look for, Create a cache that explores health issues. (Heart to Heart).

I ordered my TB and am really looking forward to taking part in this new means by which we can help to make the world a better place.

-it

Don't forget about the Salvation Army Bell Travel Bugs from a couple years ago too.

Bret

Don't forget this event.