New firmware for Magellan explorist arrived

DocW

My wife and I are interested in Geocaching. Recently a Magellan Explorist 500 was on sale and we wondered if this is a good unit for Geocaching. IF you know anything about this model could you e-mail me or reply to this post. THanks cehenleyca@yahoo.ca

Just a friendly tip seeing this is your first post here. Maybe you should try to start a new thread instead of HiJacking this one. You will get more responses to your specific questions because a greater amount of people will see your question. It also keeps this one on topic which is talking about the new firmware from magellan.

Merry Christmas Everyone

Didnt realize I was "HIJACKING" your post. I have never had the opportunity to participate in a forum before and I inadvertently trespassed on your "thread". I will certainly refrain from doing so ever again. By the way - what a warm and inviting atmosphere you have created for me. So much for ever asking for advice in this venue. You be sure to have a great day!!

Didnt realize I was "HIJACKING" your post. I have never had the opportunity to participate in a forum before and I inadvertently trespassed on your "thread". I will certainly refrain from doing so ever again. By the way - what a warm and inviting atmosphere you have created for me. So much for ever asking for advice in this venue. You be sure to have a great day!!

Thou art forgiven for this error.

I really am liking the eXplorist XL now with it's latest firmware, but where is a TRIP TIMER on the GPS? still not there by what I have seen. Still some difficulties with the GPS when I accidently mark a cache as found, and that is hard to reverse, when I'm still on the hunt for the cache. Much easier to change the cache Icon on the Map60Cx, where I just change the icon back from the Open Chest to Closed Cache icon.

HiJAcking is just a term used I meant no offense to you. I was just trying to help out a fellow geocacher. I didn't think my comments were offensive rather I was just trying to provide you with a helpful tip because burying your question in an unrelated thread will not serve your purpose nor the author of this thread. With that I will stop posting because I will be acused of "trolling" LOL

But let's get off to the right foot, welcome to the forum.

I just installed the new firmware and so far so good. However, I forgot to first erase all of my POI's and geocaches. To my pleasant surprise, it kept all of that information. This despite a message during the process that it went through an "Erase Mode" (or something like that).

Not sure if I like the additional screens but I'll probably get used to them.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Thou art forgiven for this error.

I really am liking the eXplorist XL now with it's latest firmware, but where is a TRIP TIMER on the GPS? still not there by what I have seen. Still some difficulties with the GPS when I accidently mark a cache as found, and that is hard to reverse, when I'm still on the hunt for the cache. Much easier to change the cache Icon on the Map60Cx, where I just change the icon back from the Open Chest to Closed Cache icon.

Did you use the Europe update for the XL? I was thinking about doing it till the come out with a North American update. I just didn't know what the differences and such would be. Any issues?

I just installed the new firmware and so far so good. However, I forgot to first erase all of my POI's and geocaches. To my pleasant surprise, it kept all of that information. This despite a message during the process that it went through an "Erase Mode" (or something like that).

You might be perfectly fine, but if you detect any odd behavior it's a good precaution to clear all memory. There were a few things that some people experienced with the 4/5/600 2.03 upgrade that clearing all memory after the upgrade seemed to rectify.

Thanks Magellan - For Nothing, AGAIN!

Apparently, there isn't a single thing wrong with the 4/5/600 NA, so no updates for over a year.

So nice to have a company that really cares about their target audience.

Gee, I think I'll buy a new Magellan GPSr.

*smack*

Oh yeah, I forgot, the company sucks.

I'll be giving all of my money to Garmin from now on. I'm tired of this BS. Now I'm just waiting for my meriplat and eX600 to die, or have an inadvertent accident with a cliff.

I shouldn't be so angry at Christmas time...

*edit becus i tipe porly whn im mad.

Edited by Jhwk

Thanks Magellan - For Nothing, AGAIN!

Apparently, there isn't a single thing wrong with the 4/5/600 NA, so no updates for over a year

<snip>

I can be patient at this point, as Magellan WAS sold off to another company, and that tends to influence things like free giveaways to existing customers. There was a point that the Magellan eXplorist line appeared to be the end of the road for us.

I've been out with other cachers using their XLs for a while that were constantly frustrated at the lack of Projections, and watched jealously as I marked caches found on my 600.

Would I like the extra screens and 'official' Serial NMEA support -- you bet I would

Will I stop using my eXplorist 600 if I don't get that? - no, I'll be using my 600 for some time yet.

My concerns with Magellan border more on map licensing now that my wife has an XL and I have a 600. Sure would be nice to get a reduced rate on the second set of DR3 maps for her GPS.

It does not make sense to me that they would bother prepping the firmware with this functionality for the 200 series (210) and not at least give thought to the 400/500/600 line, these are very similar units!

Having said that, there are differences in the units, especially the 300/600 with the extra sensors and that stuff has to be tested -- else we criticize Magellen over their terribly buggy firmware and we see everyone trying to go back to the previous version.

Just ask some people about the 5.x firmware on the Meridian series units.

It's my bet that the XL gets the update first, simply because those users were the most 'out in the cold'. I will admit my surprise that it took so long for the first XL firmware update to roll out the door, and admit some concern that it will be a while before I see these new features on my 600.

I'll also remind some thread watchers that the 'new' firmware appeared shortly before the Christmas break, and it's my bet that Magellan has no intention of releasing anything while on holiday staff.

Happy Holidays and hopes of a good caching year in '07 to everyone!

What ver did you "update" to 2.03 ??? Is there a newer ver for the 400, 500, 600 ???

I updated my 400 firmware the other day and the basemap was changed to a Euro one (from Aus basemap).

lucky i had a copy on my PC. other than that all seems fine and the extra screens are great

yardie

I'm planning up doing the firware upgrade on my explorist 210 but I would like to have a backup copy of my existing firmware in case things don't go as nicely as it has for others. Where can I get a copy? I checked the Magellan site with out luck. Might there be a copy on the oringinal distribution CD's that came with the GPSr?

Can one . . . .

"Simply translate the 'constants.ini' to your own language"

in the 'found2Log' application?

A Mac person trying to look through Windows!

Whom, by the way, doesn't speak any foreign languages.

Norm

I just found this topic and as the developer of this application I'm where pleased, that my little apllication left the german speaking area.

I'll try to give an englisch version soon an put a notice here.

Tanja

thought i would try the eu update v 1.55 in my xl. did not clear memory and went very easy and lost nothing in memory. has 4 new nav screens now and appears to receive sats better. had never picked up a waas sat , and now it does. have not done any caching yet to fully test but in the car going to work tonight it was working fine from what i could see. clicked one of my found caches as found and it disappeared and i still have not figured out where it went. don't like that much. anyway i would recommend trying it out. not sure if it will work for 3 4 or 5 hundred series but if it didn't work then you could probably reinstall the old version again. just thought i would mention the eu ver xl worked in my na xl as did the others posted here.

Two cautions:

thought i would try the eu update v 1.55 in my xl. did not clear memory and went very easy and lost nothing in memory.

If all works fine, that's great. But it usually is a good idea to clear all memory both before and after the installation. So if you see weirdness, I'd first try clearing all memory to see if that takes care of things. If weirdness persists, I'd clear all memory, reinstall the firmware, and clear all memory again before intitializing.

not sure if it will work for 3 4 or 5 hundred series but if it didn't work then you could probably reinstall the old version again.

Actually, probably not. If one loads the wrong firmware for their model, it will probably render it inoperable to the point that it is not capable of reloading a new firmware. We'll have to wait for the other versions to come out.

Embra you are probably correct as far as rendering a gps incapable of reloading old software so maybe it shouldn't be tried. anyway got out for some caching today and the xl worked perfectly if not better. faster sat acquisition and higher accuracy also tracked more sats then before. extra nav screens neat but not much use. either way no problems as of yet. if it happens i will post.

Joe

Something new for the US-Version of the XL: A version 2.10

http://www.magellangps.com/support/softwar...ates/XL_210.asp

But where is a update for 500 and 600? Or because we had our update already in 2005?

I clicked on the update download, but it just say something about directory not listed and won't respond... By the way I also will not buy another Magellan. This XL is my first and last. I am amazed at the simplicity of the Garmin to operate and although I can now operate the XL I am so disgusted with teh learning curve that I won't deal with them again.

As I read somewhere else, the new version for the US XL's (2.05) is referring to the initial 1.05 Version. It does not include any changes which had been incorporated into the 1.55 for the European versions.

In other words: 2.05 is on a lower level of functionality than the 1.55 Version.

I am now totally convinced that there no-one left in Magellan who knows what he does.....

I am sorry to hear that Magellan is brain-dead... as I just bought a 210. :)

As a Mac user, what are my options for installing the EU software update that everyone seems to like? Use the PC at work? We have a pretty restrictive filter, I'm not sure if it will work... but I can't run .exe files at home on the Mac.

eXplorist XL - Release notes (New functionality and issues resolved with prior firmware versions 1.05)

Fixed bugs:

* Fixed a problem where the Test card feature under Advanced Utilities caused the unit to do a soft reset.

* Fixed a problem with Direct Route North America ver. 3.0

They fixed a whole lotta nothin with this update, and the Europe version is still loaded in my eXplorist XL.

I still like the size and map detail the eXplorist XL gives me, especially when I turn off(full map screen) the data fields on the Map Screen, with Topo 3D USA Version 1.5

eXplorist XL - Release notes (New functionality and issues resolved with prior firmware versions 2.05)

Fixed bugs:

* Fixed a problem where the GPS occasionally displayed a detail map when powered on. Unit now performs a soft reset when detailed map data is present

* Reduced waypoint limits in POI to 50 to handle additional DRM code for Directroute 4.0

* Removed projection feature

* Corrected data screen to display "YOU ARE HERE" instead of latitude and longitude

* Updated sort algorithm to provide results in random order instead of alphabetical

* Updated Compass Screen so the arrow always points south instead of north.

* Increased size of the Departure-Destination line to 40 pixel width

* Removed Pos-Destination line

* Added symbols to map screen for "Tacky clothing shop", "Manhole Cover" and "Apollo Landing Faked Here".

* Removed map symbols for "Buoy", "Fuel" and "City"

* Added geocache obfuscation feature. Geocaches will now be represented several hundred metres from the actual location.

* Added DNA reader for future DirectRoute 4.0 support. Authorized users may view the map on ONE gps unit. Unauthorized users will receive a mild shock instead. This includes multiple persons reading the same GPS screen.

Now, would anyone REALLY be surprised to see that happen, with the way Magellan has been carrying on lately? :rolleyes:

NOW I GOTTA MOP UP THE CARPET!

viscous, but funny . . . . . I give ya an '9.5'

Second biggest smile this week

Norm

eXplorist XL - Release notes (New functionality and issues resolved with prior firmware versions 2.05)

Fixed bugs:

* Fixed a problem where the GPS occasionally displayed a detail map when powered on. Unit now performs a soft reset when detailed map data is present

* Reduced waypoint limits in POI to 50 to handle additional DRM code for Directroute 4.0

* Removed projection feature

* Corrected data screen to display "YOU ARE HERE" instead of latitude and longitude

* Updated sort algorithm to provide results in random order instead of alphabetical

* Updated Compass Screen so the arrow always points south instead of north.

* Increased size of the Departure-Destination line to 40 pixel width

* Removed Pos-Destination line

* Added symbols to map screen for "Tacky clothing shop", "Manhole Cover" and "Apollo Landing Faked Here".

* Removed map symbols for "Buoy", "Fuel" and "City"

* Added geocache obfuscation feature. Geocaches will now be represented several hundred metres from the actual location.

* Added DNA reader for future DirectRoute 4.0 support. Authorized users may view the map on ONE gps unit. Unauthorized users will receive a mild shock instead. This includes multiple persons reading the same GPS screen.

Now, would anyone REALLY be surprised to see that happen, with the way Magellan has been carrying on lately? :rolleyes:

Edited by RRLover

:rolleyes: Most excellent.

OK, I'm giving this a bump, not just to get my post count up, but to ask a serious question:

I have downloaded the new eXplorist (Eu) software and I'm planning to install it on my 210 tomorrow. Everyone who has done it seems happy; is anyone NOT happy? Is there any reason I SHOULDN'T do it?

:blink: Most excellent.

OK, I'm giving this a bump, not just to get my post count up, but to ask a serious question:

I have downloaded the new eXplorist (Eu) software and I'm planning to install it on my 210 tomorrow. Everyone who has done it seems happy; is anyone NOT happy? Is there any reason I SHOULDN'T do it?

I think, there is a good chance that within the next 5 - 6 years there will also be a NA update for the 210 and then you'd wished you would have waited.

(Sorry, couldn't resist) :rolleyes:

BTW: Just heard some rumours that there is a 500/600 FW currently under betatesting.......

This is VERY interesting news. Hopefully it's got the 1.55 XL enhancements when it arrives.

Don't worry it does. And it's working fine, so it should be up soon.

//Beta tester

only that it is terrible slow! :(

only that it is terrible slow! :anibad:

Terrible slow? Do you mean the eXplorist 600 with the new firmware, or the XL running 1.55?

I know my 600 bogs down if I let the track log get too full, and my wife's XL is running fine under 1.55....

Do tell?

- Greg (northernpenguin)

I am talking on 600er FW and that mystic beta: Yes it now has the new screens, yes, the track menu is signifcantly faster, but Map redraw is a pain (more than ever) .

Edited by DocW

Hey, I was poking around the eXplorist support section on Magellan's site and noticed this bad boy:

eXplorist 500 v2.57 firmware

So it looks like the same deal as the XL's so far. No North American update, but a 2.57 update (with all those bonus screens!) appears under the European banner. I've also noticed the filename says 500_600 so I'm going to try it later tonight.

Hey, I was poking around the eXplorist support section on Magellan's site and noticed this bad boy:

eXplorist 500 v2.57 firmware

So it looks like the same deal as the XL's so far. No North American update, but a 2.57 update (with all those bonus screens!) appears under the European banner. I've also noticed the filename says 500_600 so I'm going to try it later tonight.

Umm...you have seen this topic, right?

Back to the 210 upgrade... I just installed mine by carefully following the directions, but after it uploaded the update, the update program is supposed to say "Upload completed" or some such, however it is hanging on "please wait." I rebooted the 210 and the new screens are there in glorious black and white, so it seems to have worked.. I think?

Have any of you had any similar problems with the uploading program? Haven't taken the 210 out yet to try it but seems to be ok so far.

After much nailbiting about if I should up grade, I took the plunge. I am glad I did! My first impression is good, I like the different Nav screens, and I believe it is much faster. I was worried that I would lose my base map but it's still there. All in all it was a good move. Thanks for the help from all of your posts, I would have never found out about the upgrade without your help.

Hi guys,

I just wanted to add my experience for the record.

I'm in Eastern Ontario Canada and just flashed my Explorist 210 NA with the European 3.2.53 firmware.

I just followed the instructions on the firmware download page... wiped the 210 first, ran the program, it found my GPS and completed 100% then restarted the GPS automatically.

Upon reboot, I have all sorts of new fancy screens. Everything seems to have worked perfectly (I can breath again). :rolleyes:

It's after midnight here, so I'll have to play with it tomorrow and see how the accuracy/functions are working.

I'll post again with my 'field tests'.

The system I used to flash:

XP pro with SP2 in case that makes any difference in some people having to reboot manually or not.