Homemade FTF Geocoin

two phat geocacher

I am new to geocaching. I am wanting to make my first Cache and was wanting to put a FTF geocoin in. I found a few webpages saying how to make a wooden FTF Geocoin. I tried it today and didn't like how it turned out looking. I found some on EBay that were made from poker chips that looked alot better than mine. I went through some of the post on here talking about homemade coins. But none of them said how to make them just buy them. I was wondering if anyone had a tips for me how to make them. Any info would help me out alot. Thanks

I did the same thing when I first stared caching, I took a poker chip and then made an image on my comp then printed it on a shipping label and cut to fit then attached the sticker to the chip it turned out pretty well.

you know... a nice generic... ftf would be nice..

or lets make it fancy..

Ya...

and make like only 250 of them.. and make them like 6.50 so all cachers can afford them

and make them entertaining so the person finding the cache gets a real treat...

!

PS: I could make this a 4 coin set with all the ideas I have flowing...lol

1) leprechan.. pot of gold.. the FTF

2) golfer.. hole in 1... a cache

3) hunter... looks in scope... sees cache...lol

4) guy with flat tire... sees cache.. he's ftf

whew... I better get a life outisde this...

CACHE ON

I am new to geocaching. I am wanting to make my first Cache and was wanting to put a FTF geocoin in. I found a few webpages saying how to make a wooden FTF Geocoin. I tried it today and didn't like how it turned out looking. I found some on EBay that were made from poker chips that looked alot better than mine. I went through some of the post on here talking about homemade coins. But none of them said how to make them just buy them. I was wondering if anyone had a tips for me how to make them. Any info would help me out alot. Thanks

You know, it doesnt matter what they look like. Things made by hand dont have to be perfect. I suggest you leave what you made. I know many cachers who will pick it up and put it into their collections.

nielsenc

You know, it doesnt matter what they look like. Things made by hand dont have to be perfect. I suggest you leave what you made. I know many cachers who will pick it up and put it into their collections.

nielsenc

:laughing:

I agree a true homemade is probably more special than a "store bought" one. Another suggestion would to make 25 and mark them 1 of 25, 2 of 25, etc and then you will generate a special limited addition.

Good luck

:laughing:

Agreed, handmade items are cool.

Here's something that I cut with a plasma cutter and left at a few of my caches as FTF prizes and the response was great:

94765a45-6224-465b-a1c6-c7e3e1152a8a.jpg

I even have a really cheap laminated "document" that somebody creted in PowerPoint and left as a FTF Certificate. It's the handmade stuff that you tend to remember IMO.

:laughing: I would like to say thank you to all who have replied and may reply. These tips are great. I had a friend at work show me how to set up paint on windows to print them out on stickers and put them on also. I really like the tips about #of## marks on the coins. Some of them will be 1of1 to do with cache names and to go with travel bugs. I am tring to think of one to make for my autism awareness travel bug (since I work with people that have autism and alot of people don't understand it). But once again thank you to all who have replied. Two Phat Geocacher :laughing:

Greets, I make my own sig tokens, I am planning on setting out new caches soon, they will include one of these in every one. for FTF's , also trackable on sigitem dot com thanks to Marky !! Will be making a batch over Christmas break as well as setting out new caches in a series of Everglades Adventures...

siggroup.jpg

You may contact me through email for the technique, Glenn :)

You may contact me through email for the technique, Glenn :santa:

Intrigued by Glenn's homemade tokens, I took him up on his offer and got his technique. I must say--I like it a lot!

Here's what I produced:

homemade_coin.jpg

Very easy to do with inkjet shrink film. This will keep me happy until I save up to mint a set of coins!

The hand stamped brass method sounds cool. do you have any pics you can show and let me know how you do it. so far i had 4 tips on making coins and they are all good. I have put 2 of them into effect and like them so far the third one i am going to work on this weekend if i get them time. I just want to have a few different types. that way i don't keep leaving the same ones and kind all the time. I just have to work on the spray acrylic sealer. i think i am putting way to much on the coins cause they are soaking through and showing the wood pattern for the wooden disks and sticking to each other. thanks for all the tips.

Two Phat Geocacher "Greg"

We bought a 1" hole punch from Meijer for $10±. The 1" circle fits the center of most poker chips.

Then designed a 'coin' we liked and printed them out on our inkjet using a Avery label template, I think 5262, print a test to make sure it works with the hole punch.

We cut them out and used double faced tape to attach them to the chip and then sprayed them with krylon clear paint to help seal them.

They turn out nice and don't cost much to make. We find some flea markets have great deals on chips 200 for $5±

We change the designs to go along with the event we are going to and also have some standard ones we leave around in caches.

Edited by 501_Gang

I went to the sigitem dot com site. And contacted Marky for info. I was just wanted to ask the group. Do people really track them on that site?? I am just wondering. I will most likely put my token on there. Also do you have to put the sigitem dot com on the token?? Also has anyone used traveltags dot com?? I saw that and it can track items on thier site and show what cache they are in on gc.com. I have used the poker chip method, wooden nickel, the method used by Glennk721, I have a wooden sign, and a wooden dice that I have made just messing around. Is there any other ideas that anyone else has used. Just looking for different ideas for like special items for really cool caches.

I went to the sigitem dot com site. And contacted Marky for info. I was just wanted to ask the group. Do people really track them on that site?? I am just wondering. I will most likely put my token on there. Also do you have to put the sigitem dot com on the token?? Also has anyone used traveltags dot com?? I saw that and it can track items on thier site and show what cache they are in on gc.com. I have used the poker chip method, wooden nickel, the method used by Glennk721, I have a wooden sign, and a wooden dice that I have made just messing around. Is there any other ideas that anyone else has used. Just looking for different ideas for like special items for really cool caches.

We've used travelertags -my son has identical travel bugs- the gc.com site is way easier from user's point of view so you are in theory less likely to lose track of your bug. You can also make swaggies at geocaching.com.au - they won't show up on the gc.com cache listing but they are easy to track from cache to cache at GA. You can give it any password you like- you are not limited to a number