NEWBIE, AND I MEAN NEWBIE!

anatc

Hey,

I really like the ideas of Geocaches, but I have a few questions/issues, and I'm a long way away from needing help with GPS systems or anything. Will you let me know what you think, and if you think this is right for me?

First, I don't really love hiking, the woods, or all that outdoors-ey stuff, especially in this freezing Chicago winter, but I like the idea of looking for caches. I would want to learn how to use a GPS system, and the tracking and all that part seems interesting. I was wondering what you guys think about sticking around the city, and seeing what kinds of caches there are here. Is that sort of, not the point? Not worth it?

Also, I was wondering if there are any people in Chicago who have a team, and would let me come with once, just to get a sense of what its like.

That's about it. Feel free to respond, I'd really like honest opinions. Thanks!

Also, I was wondering if there are any people in Chicago who have a team, and would let me come with once, just to get a sense of what its like.

Don't forget to drop by the regional forums here at Groundspeak and for any regional/local Geocaching clubs/societies.

E.

Some geocachers like caching in the woods, some like caching in the city. Some like both. If city caches are your bag, that's great. There are plenty of urban and suburban caches out there for you to find.

Don't totally avoid the ones in the woods though. Its a nice change of pace and I know several people who weren't into hiking or outdoorsey stuff before they started geocaching and are now avid hikers. It can be a life changing experience for some.

We were in your shoes when we started. I didn't really want to go tramping around in the woods without knowing where I was going and being able to get back to where we parked. We were picky about the first few caches till I went to a class about 150 miles away from home. The experienced people there were very, very helpful, especially my trainer. After that we were hooked and started looking for everything we could find in and away from our home area. I'll go anywhere in the state of Iowa now.

Have fun with it. Read the cache page and logs to decide whether you think it would be too far out. Look at it from an aerial view to see "how far" you will have to walk. You never know how much fun you might be missing out on.

mrring