Poll: Which one would you choose and why

Jeepstr

1. Garmin Venture Cx

2. Garmin Map60

3. Garmin Map60 Csx

4. Garmin GPS60

I really like having maps, so the 4.garmin gps60(yellow) is off my list right away. That leaves the other three, but I would also take the 2.garmin map60 off my list for a couple reasons. first it only has 24mb of map storage and second it get worse battery life than any garmin color unit(also maps look so much better when in color).

so that leaves the ventureCX and the 60csx..... since compairing these isn't fair, the 60c(S)x has an electronic compass and barometric altimeter where the ventureCX does not.

If you want comparable units it should be the vistaCX vs the 60csx.(both have compass and altimeter). between these two it all depends on size preference, button layout, and screen size.

What I would choose isn't on your list.... the 60cx, I have no need for the barometric altimeter or electronic compass the 60c(S)x has. Any of garmins X models would be great, all have removable microSD strorage cards for maps, so you can replace with a larger card for more storage.

All I use are GARMIN units, I have several. You never said what you intend to use it for, so its hard to answer this one. First figure out what you need it to do then think about what your gonna want it to do next year and base you descision on that, so you dont need to buy a new one next year. Check out Garmins web site for a comparison. of the four...

60Csx. I own one. The SIRF Star III chip doesn't lose signal at all, and the unit has some great features. Not to mention battery life is very good, and because it's a Garmin, there's no problem with support or repair if you need it. 3rd party accessories such as mounts and cases are readily available too. My second option would be the 60Cx, but I like having the compass in the unit.

GPS60 for 2 reasons. Price and color. I like 'em cheap and yellow! I currently toggle between my Geko 101 and eTrex 101. I don't care much for the gps maps or turn by turn directions. For me part of the game is having to figure out my own route to the cache, not having it shown to me. I know that you can still do this on higher end units by just using the pointer page, but they don't make higher end units in yellow. Not having the feature takes away the temptation to peek. :D

Edited by hikergps

None. I have a regular Legend, and it's overkill, except for the ability to hold 1000 waypoints. All I want from a GPS is the ability to guide me to a cache, and the yellow eTrex, or any other cheap one, will do that. For driving, I use the GPS to connect to my Palm, which runs the mapping software, so even a mouse GPS will work for this. I would buy the cheapest GPS I could find which provides the abililty to connect to a PC. This is the only essential feature I can think of, and it is essential. Oh yeah, it needs to be waterproof, and reasonably rugged, but almost every GPS sold has that.

You may do things differently, and thus have different requirements. but you asked, and I replied. Take it FWIW.

I have been using a eXplorist 100 for almost a year without a problem. I like the sensitivity and the ease-of-use. Maps are not important to me as I use a Delorme Gazette for WA, and a Mussio Ventures Backroad Mapbook for BC.

I recently both a eTrex Legend (part of a bundle with map software). I like the PC connectivity and the onboard map capability), but I found the display very hard to read (screen is smaller than the 100 and the lettering is smaller).

I do worry about support and service problems I have read about Magellan, but so far, I haven't needed the services. I would prefer the Garmin due the support and service, but I do like my Magellan.

For the time being, I'm sticking with my Magellan eXplorist 100.

I wouldn't take any of them. I use a Lowrance Expedition C and when others are losing signal or searching 35' away I'm scoring the cache. Just my personnal experience.

You are on the correct coordinates, but no cache, why?

The owner of the cache used and old GPS with bad accuracy and did not bother

to try to find his own cache 5 times at a different date to see if he placed it correct:

Get a 60Cx or 60CSx, you want regret.

Owner of a 60CS and Nüvi 660