60Csx + firmware 2.90 more power sensitive?

DocDiTTo

I have a 60Csx and a Pfranc power cable that I use in my car all the time. In fact, I've been using it very heavily the last 2 months for travel. No issues. Ever.

2 days ago I updated the firmware on my 60CSx to the 2.90 version. Used the cable in the car yesterday, not a problem. Today, though, I left the 60CSx in the car while running powered by the cable while I was at a cache event for about 3 hours. When I came out afterward, the Csx was off. Odd. So I turned it on, and in a couple seconds, the screen faded to nothing and the unit turned off. Seems to be what happens to people if they use new lithium batteries without burning "the edge" off of them in a flashlight for a few minutes.

I unplugged the power cable and plugged it back in, then turned the unit on, and it worked fine after that. So this could have been a one-time fluke. But maybe, just maybe, the 2.90 firmware had something to do with it.

Anyone else notice any odd power problems with the latest firmware -- either through a power adapter or with lithium batteries?

Edited by DocDiTTo

I own a 60CS. I have noticed that sometimes if I have the GPS hooked to the laptop and I power off the laptop the GPS will do some really strange things if I leave the USB cable plugged in. I have seen it....

Turn the backlight on.

Change the map zoom level

and most frequently cause the GPS to loose lock but not before putting me 10s of miles away, sometimes a positional change of 70 or more miles.

Maybe the X model is doing the same type of thing if your power port turns off during a vehicle start?

I own a 60CS. I have noticed that sometimes if I have the GPS hooked to the laptop and I power off the laptop the GPS will do some really strange things if I leave the USB cable plugged in. I have seen it....

Turn the backlight on.

and most frequently cause the GPS to loose lock but not before putting me 10s of miles away, sometimes a positional change of 70 or more miles.

Maybe the X model is doing the same type of thing if your power port turns off during a vehicle start?

I'm using the round 4 prong power cable, not the usb, and my car's lighter doesn't power off when the car is off, so it would have had power the whole time. But it's good to know that other strange things have happened... mine just exhibits the symptoms of too much power. Could be the fault of the power cable, or something with the new firmware. Or, maybe just a fluke... but like I said, this is the first time in 2 months that this happened, and I've left it turned on in the car before, probably not for 3 hours straight though.

Same thing happened to me today but I didn't have power to the cable when I was connecting the cable to the GPS, I'm using a Garmin cable that I have been using for a couple of years.

Did you ever have this happen before? And are you on firmware 2.90?

running 2.90 and I can't remember this happening in the past. I will be wathing for it now though.

Turn the backlight on.

That's all probably due to a slow decrease of power. It probably reaches a point where there's not enough power coming through the USB port to properly power the CPU, but the unit hasn't yet switched back to internal battery power.

I use pretty much the exact same setup as Doc, and pretty much the same thing happened to me 2 or 3 days ago (after upgrading).

I've had that happen to me twice before (prior to upgrading). I think I read somewhere on these forums that this behavior may be caused when you are at a certain map location where two sections "join". I don't have time to find the thread right now due to a meeting, but I believe the guy who found it said he could recreate it at will be driving through the same location again. Perhaps this is what happened? Each time it has happened to me I have been unable to recreate it though, as it seems to work fine after I turn the unit back on.

I have seen the behavior on a 60cs plugged into a laptop. When the behavior repeated on battery only, I suspected bad batteries. When I popped one of the batteries out, I noticed the the battery connector did not pop out - a quick finger nail to all 4 prongs found two that "pinged" and popped out where I expected. All was well after.

Since it is a cheap fix, I would recommend trying it.

Jerry

I had a similer problem over the thanksgiving break, on a long drive from St. Louis to Minneapolis. It just happened once (and we were using the GPS constantly). I was driving, and was starting to look for nearest food when the screen just faded to black. I powered it up, and it was fine.

60cx using the garmin power cord. Not sure what is up, or if it is worth notifiying garmin. I'm a little fuzzy this morning, so I can't remember if the 2.90 upgrade came out before the holiday or not .