Logging your own cache

SG-MIN

On a related note, how do you guys feel about logging your own event? You schedule the event, people show up and log it, are YOU allowed to log it? You showed up, just like everyone else, the only difference is you put on the event, or at least your the one who scheduled it on GC.com.

clay

On a related note, how do you guys feel about logging your own event? You schedule the event, people show up and log it, are YOU allowed to log it? You showed up, just like everyone else, the only difference is you put on the event, or at least your the one who scheduled it on GC.com.

I have no problem with cachers logging there own event as attended. After all, they attended it.

Hey, I have an idea! I move that a special exemption be made for cache owners with Alzheimer’s.

Hrm, well..... I "get" your posts, because what you're doing (repeating something as if you hadn't just said it) is precisely what was the first sign of my grandmother's dementia, which hit in her early 70s. I might find it funny if it weren't a painful reminder of watching a brilliantly intelligent person gradually lose her mind. :laughing:

• Funny 1

Hey, I have an idea! I move that a special exemption be made for cache owners with Alzheimer’s.

Hrm, well..... I "get" your posts, because what you're doing (repeating something as if you hadn't just said it) is precisely what was the first sign of my grandmother's dementia, which hit in her early 70s. I might find it funny if it weren't a painful reminder of watching a brilliantly intelligent person gradually lose her mind. :laughing:

The identical thing happened to my grandmother.

I experience the very same types of painful memories whenever I hear the words "Alzheimer’s," "grandmother" or anything else that reminds me of her and the way she went.

My post was not meant as an insult with your grandmother as the target, or to cause anyone grief. My post was intended to illustrate the silliness of a cache owner's logging of his/her own cache with a smilie.

Look at it this way: Alcoholism isn't funny either, but the things drunk people do can be pretty dadgum entertaining. :D

• Funny 1

Yes, you may do whatever you think is right, but others will remember.

They will gather in dark corners of events and whisper Truths, half-truths, and downright lies about your numbers. CSI type in depth searches will begin just to find out more.

Emails will be sent, Instant messages will be forthcoming, and all of this because you logged your own cache!

Their Geocaching schoolmates will ridicule your children, and notes will be passed.

Strange writings will start to appear on blackboards. {. JOHNNY'S NUMBERS ARE BOGUS!}...

The worst insult will be when the girl at the check out counter at the 99-cent store has your picture on the register.

Do whatever you think is right, but remember not everyone will think what you do is right.

Peace.

• Surprised 1
I have to disagree with point #3... it's not a found, it's an attended. I have logged an attended at my own event, cause guess what... I attended it. I setup the time and place, arranged all the games/activities, setup the prizes, and... actually showed up to meet and greet like events are designed to do. Hence... I attended the event.

But isn't that kind of like RSVPing for your own party? I never feel like I've "attended" parties that I've thrown. But I can see the case for this ... an event cache is different than a physical cache.

Another poster wrote about replacing containers, then logging the find. I've done this before ... in fact, the last time I did it, I felt guilty about having done so, went back to the spot, removed the container, and deleted my find log. I initially did it because the owner wasn't replacing this cache even after Needs Maint logs were sitting unanswered for months and I was stupidly desperate to just clear that find.

No more of that for me ... if it's clearly not around and the cache owners isn't responding, then I'll just log Needs Maint and let the reviewers take care of archiving it when the time comes.

I *have* replaced some caches that I haven't found where I've gotten spoilers from the cache hiders and the containers are clearly gone. But even then, I probably should have asked permission from those owners before I did so ... I mean, what if the owner had wanted to archive it once it was missing?

Does it make a huge difference in the world? Probably not. But my personal rule from now on is never to replace a missing container without clearing it with the owner first.

But if I replace the container under the direction of the owner, I don't really have a problem logging a find. It's not my cache, I'm just getting a mega-spoiler from the person who owns it.

-eP

Last week, a "big numbers" cacher from the next state over was in the area, went and looked, didn't see the cache either. So they put out another container in a different place - above the ground rather than on it, and about 40 feet from the spot the original clue indicates .. and logged it as a find, saying "We found the location".

Odd as it might seem, I would be OK with doing this, if I had the owner's permission.

OK, interesting situation today that made me think of this thread.

Another local cacher wanted to place a special cache to be found by a cacher for their 1000th find.

She couldn't get out to hide the cache herself and asked me to hide one for her.

I have no intention of logging the cache as I am the one who hid it.

But, how about her? She has never seen the container let alone the hide.

She did write the cache page and submitted it under her account.

I don't care one way or the other if she logs a find, and if I had to guess I would say she won't.

I just thought it was an interesting twist that fit in with this thread.

To me finding your own caches like having an Easter Egg Hunt where you hide all the Easter Eggs. Then you invite all the kids outside to find them. You announce that whoever finds the most eggs gets a big chocolate Easter Bunny! Then you blow the start whistle and run around finding most of the eggs yourself winning the chocolate Easter Bunny. Later that day, you post a question in the Easter Egg Hunt thread asking why all the kids were crying after you did that...... :wub:

Exactly. The ones who care about statistic are like crying kids and over-competitve grown-ups.

The rest just enjoys the outdoors and couldn't care less!

I think it's pretty funny that some people switch into "competition mode" as soon as there are some numbers present.

GermanSailor

Totally in agreement with the above comments.

I would never think about logging my own caches and am very surprised about this thread....

I experience the very same types of painful memories whenever I hear the words "Alzheimer’s," "grandmother" or anything else that reminds me of her and the way she went.

My post was not meant as an insult with your grandmother as the target, or to cause anyone grief. My post was intended to illustrate the silliness of a cache owner's logging of his/her own cache with a smilie.

Look at it this way: Alcoholism isn't funny either, but the things drunk people do can be pretty dadgum entertaining. :mad:

Wow! I've never seen such an excellent job of junping out of the frying pan into the fire! Let's laugh at drunks. I lost a dear friend to alcoholism. But drunks are funny! :santa:

On the other hand, people who log their own caches ARE funny, in a bizarre way.

Look at it this way: Alcoholism isn't funny either, but the things drunk people do can be pretty dadgum entertaining. ;)

Wow! I've never seen such an excellent job of junping out of the frying pan into the fire! Let's laugh at drunks. I lost a dear friend to alcoholism. But drunks are funny! :santa:

On the other hand, people who log their own caches ARE funny, in a bizarre way.

I've never seen such an excellent job of being over sensitive.

He didn't say "drunks", he said "things drunk people do".

He didn't say "are always funny even if they're killing themselves", he said "can be dadgum entertaining".

AND

He didn't say, "Let's laugh at drunks".

:mad::P

On the other hand, let's laugh at strawmen.

clay

I wouldn't (and haven't) log an attended for my own event. I'm hosting it. I get "credit" for hosting the event in my hide counts, so I don't think I should also credit for a "find". If I host an event I log a note.

Edited by briansnat

I wouldn't (and haven't) log an attended for my own event. I'm hosting it. I get "credit" for hosting the event in my hide counts, so I don't think I should also credit for a "find". If I host an event I log a note.

But now the discussion here has largely revolved around whether or not you can find something that you hid. In the case of an event, you can certainly "attend" something that you have "hosted." Apples and oranges my friend... or should I say, containers and events.

But now the discussion here has largely revolved around whether or not you can find something that you hid. In the case of an event, you can certainly "attend" something that you have "hosted." Apples and oranges my friend... or should I say, containers and events.

I understand that. Back when you logged a "found it" for events, I decided that "finding" my own event wasn't proper. When they changed it from "found it" to "attended", I re-thought my stance but eventually decided that I shouldn't get double credit for hosting an event. The event is included in my "hidden" stats. That's enough for me.

I should add that this how I choose to play the game and I don't mean to intimate that there is anything wrong with those who do choose to log their own events.

Edited by briansnat

clay

I've been to at least two events where the host was unable to attend do to last minute emergencies. Since you can clearly not attend your own event, it seems clear to me that you should log an attended if you do attend. On the other hand, I don't recall the host logging a DNF in those cases where they didn't attend (they did log a note).